so i put one of those huge azz heatsinks on my cpu

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    ooooh... and it's made by asus. good on them. :thumbs:

edit: very nice but one thing, i'd like the bottom jet intake vents to not come out so much, that is, for it to be curvey and all that but still have an overall rectangular profile ala powermac g4.

*sigh* so it looks like i'll be sticking to my old skool ripped out steel cage for a while...
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

ah... good to see some good drugs are still making their way into China, specifically the Lian Li product design floor...

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_M_PC-777.htm

The conchPC!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

ooooh... and it's made by asus. good on them. :thumbs:

edit: very nice but one thing, i'd like the bottom jet intake vents to not come out so much, that is, for it to be curvey and all that but still have an overall rectangular profile ala powermac g4.

*sigh* so it looks like i'll be sticking to my old skool ripped out steel cage for a while...

It is a very nice case indeed which i believe was designed by some car designer. When i ordered it, I put in for a red one, which looks awesome, but somehow ended up with a green one The bottom vents are'nt too bad what is annoying though is the 4 USB2 and headphone ports at the front are recessed too far in, So if you have got big hands, It's a bitch to access.

Confession time:

After taking that pic, i couldn't stop thinking about it running again, mainly a CS:S fix

[RANT]That game has ruined my life, i Started playing it 6 years ago when it was in the beta's, Now whenever i think PC or hear anyone else going on about em, all i can think about is fecking HL!!! I am pretty certain the game contains Subliminal messages )[/RANT]

It is now sitting on my desk running kde3.4 under gentoo

before you ask, i have 2 copies of windows XP, 1 is used as a coaster and the other is a spare for the coaster

This is certainly bringing back old memories, But is just doesn't have the OS X feel We'll see how long it lasts as my main station.

I'll post pics later/
  • Reply 24 of 29
    yeah... it's weird huh... at first i started playing NFSunderground2 and it was a bit too much attitude for me, but as i got into it, its just fun, if you turn off all the annoying voice overs... and turn of the music tracks you don't like. at high quality, 4x aa 4x af it's beautiful on the amd64-6600gt......... good times

but then today i tried myst5 (i finished the myst1 back in the day.... sooo painful but i finished it !! yeah!)... the myst5 demo looked pretty but i was like, WTF? something was just downright weird and upsetting about that game. then fired up fifa2006. i used to get into the ol'FIFA94 or whatever... it was fun..! but fifa2006? its like all the players look like these weird characters out of resident evil or something... hella freaky.

was heavy into CS and ut2004 through 2004... but now these gaming places seem a bit weird

maybe i'm getting old? i turn 27 in a few weeks i suppose i've got my own tastes now, i used to always like RTS, driving, and flying games. FPS is too adrenalinecharged for me nowadays, and RTS is just, well, Starcraft was the epitome in my mind. frackin' piece of literature, it is. why hasn't anyone put out a nice space sim? i hope i won't have to download that remake of privateer, just because, well, its retro and fun, but, what about something new??? like a battlestar galactica space sim game??? that would be awesome. something that took the best bits of wing commander and xwing/tiefighter and follows on from the vision of this excellently-reimagined BSG. as more of the story is revealed they can release expansion packs and stuff

oh bugger. 1 virus on my computer. shite. gotta end this rant and vent the sucker out the airlock. the joys of using a PC thank goodness for mcafee, much less annoying than norton. i used to trust norton, but, *sigh* times change... especially how in this decade norton anything mostly screwed up your mac....
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

yeah... it's weird huh... at first i started playing NFSunderground2 and it was a bit too much attitude for me, but as i got into it, its just fun, if you turn off all the annoying voice overs... and turn of the music tracks you don't like. at high quality, 4x aa 4x af it's beautiful on the amd64-6600gt......... good times

but then today i tried myst5 (i finished the myst1 back in the day.... sooo painful but i finished it !! yeah!)... the myst5 demo looked pretty but i was like, WTF? something was just downright weird and upsetting about that game. then fired up fifa2006. i used to get into the ol'FIFA94 or whatever... it was fun..! but fifa2006? its like all the players look like these weird characters out of resident evil or something... hella freaky.

was heavy into CS and ut2004 through 2004... but now these gaming places seem a bit weird

maybe i'm getting old? i turn 27 in a few weeks i suppose i've got my own tastes now, i used to always like RTS, driving, and flying games. FPS is too adrenalinecharged for me nowadays, and RTS is just, well, Starcraft was the epitome in my mind. frackin' piece of literature, it is. why hasn't anyone put out a nice space sim? i hope i won't have to download that remake of privateer, just because, well, its retro and fun, but, what about something new??? like a battlestar galactica space sim game??? that would be awesome. something that took the best bits of wing commander and xwing/tiefighter and follows on from the vision of this excellently-reimagined BSG. as more of the story is revealed they can release expansion packs and stuff

oh bugger. 1 virus on my computer. shite. gotta end this rant and vent the sucker out the airlock. the joys of using a PC thank goodness for mcafee, much less annoying than norton. i used to trust norton, but, *sigh* times change... especially how in this decade norton anything mostly screwed up your mac....

Battlestar is on the PS2, a really nice game.

Ok, i've done it, I've axed gentoo and put on XP

As for anti-virus goes i use this Does the job, bloody fast, and it's free. So why did i get rid of gentoo? Because as a desktop it's too buggy and unpolished, that goes for all the WM's out there.

As a console/server it's the dog's bollox Give me a week and OS X will be back i'm sure
  • Reply 26 of 29
    I couldn't take it anymore, windows has to go

Back on me mac mini, with beautiful OS X. things just fall into place on this OS it's like the equilibrium of windows and linux/unix. I think me p4 is going in one of my server cases running gentoo as a file & print server with X11 forwarding, Use me mini for music and web and have me dual G4 for iphoto.

Gotta sell some stuff on Ebay
  • Reply 27 of 29
    heh. XP didn't last very long, did it well, pity i'm on the other side of the world, otherwise i'd be somewhat interested in that asus vento case. green is sorta funky-cool

yeah nothing beats mac os x right now. especially when in a crunch. and older macs i would certainly have written off as obsolete based on my pc-timelines, those macs continue to surprise me.

yeah i've got an old pentium2-333mhz (oc'ed 375mhz) that would rock as a suse or redhat dedicated azureus box, now that new seasons of *ahem* alias, that new show on cbs (threshold) and of course a few more episodes of bsg down the pipeline. i just need a 2nd hand 10/100 ethernet card and a weekend of tinkering and i'd be ready with a headless box i can christen the "tv-on-demand router" eh but i'd need to figure out remote desktop stuff or ssh kind of stuff to go into tha headless box and stuff. have tried VNC stuff on pc and mac but not linux yet
  • Reply 28 of 29
    used the word stuff way to many times in the above post
  • Reply 29 of 29
    If your looking into making a PVR, You want to check out mythTV havent set this up myself so can't comment on how easy it is

As for ssh it really is quite easy, just run sshd on the server to setup the key and make sure sshd starts at runlevel. I think on SuSE it starts automagically whereas on gentoo you have to add it manually. Connecting is then a simple case of opening a term and typing sshd [email protected]. User being the username you set the key up on the server and the IP is obviously the IP of the server.

After that it's just a case of learning the CLI, which if your unsure about, typing info will give you a list of commands. If you'll be sshing via winblows you want to get putty which is a term emulator.

Windows aint quite gone, It's still on the HD in the machine, which just needs monitor and keyboard connectingand then i could be playing CS;S once more (getting excited) Damn i hate that game i really do!!!

When and if i dismantle that PC the case is going on Ebay, So i'll give you a bell if you fancy it, It's as new only had it 6 months, Will even give you a discount in view of the postage