Apple Anti-Piracy on Intel build

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

... As for theft - it isn't that difficult. If you take something that isn't yours, that is being sold and you are not paying for it ... you are stealing.

To "steal" a phrase from Tom DeMarco...

If you repeat something often enough, consistently, without responding to your opponents using logic or even acknowledging they have a viewpoint, your repeated assertion will catch on. No matter how ridiculous it is.

It doesn't matter how much evidence there is or isn't, that's the magic of repeated assertion.

Now repeat after me: Iraq possesses weapons of mass destruction.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by tirefire

• Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

You must be the new AppleInsider comedian...welcome!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

It doesn't matter how much evidence there is or isn't, that's the magic of repeated assertion.

Point well taken!
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Interesting stuff... I always hear how Apple is a "hardware company" but it seems they are afraid that no one actually wants their hardware, just the OS that's running on it. I understand that a company must protect its intellectual property and I have no problem with Apple doing that, nothing idealogically anyway.

So... why do I say "why are they wasting their time with this crap". Because I think letting copies of OS X run rampant around the world would be a good thing for Apple at this point in the game. They can still protect digital content with Palladium, no problems there but allowing developing nations a chance to even use Apple software would pay off handsomely in the future.

I live in South Korea, where by a newspapers assertations over 50% of software used in buisiness is pirated, the private sector is far higher. But guess what... windows saturation is nearly 100% in fact if you want to be a normal productive citizen of Korea you generally need a copy of windows handy to wade through all the ActiveX controls on every website.

Do you think MS doesn't know all this... of course they do and they encourage it. They encourage it by not doing anything about it and that allows them to skim off the big fish like Samsung, LG, and the government. So they are making less money now by not protecting their intellectual property rights as well as they should but the pay off in the future will be handsome. South Korea is locked into windows.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

A tempting proposition considering what $500 can (or better said can't) get you...It is a great system, but no expandability and a 1 gig max on ram, and they expect people who acctually know what bit torrent is to take it seriously!?!

I love my mini, but I would have much rather seen a ~$699-999 tower with at least 2 ram slots and a agp video card and 1 PCI slot -- what is so unreasonable about that?

Nothing!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

To "steal" a phrase from Tom DeMarco...

If you repeat something often enough, consistently, without responding to your opponents using logic or even acknowledging they have a viewpoint, your repeated assertion will catch on. No matter how ridiculous it is.

But that holds true for your argument.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Split thread.

Moving this branch to General Discussion.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Apple lied to us. The developer's machine outperforms the top of the range Power Mac G5.

They lied about the benefits of the PowerPC architecture, and in particular they lied about the benefits of the G4 and G5 processors over their Pentium counterparts. They told us that the G5 was twice as fast as a Pentium processor and clearly it isn't.

I think that Apple should offer to swap all the G4s and G5s for a PC running OS X.

If a copy of OS X on Intel were to fall in to my lap, I certainly wouldn't have ANY quams about installing it on a homebrew machine.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    whoa messiah. i think you're stretching a tad. think of the past few years you've been using a g4 and your g5, and think if you were using wintel instead. in which situation would you have had a more fun, secure, stable, productive computing experience?

so you may say, well, they should have given us mac os x on intel then 5 years ago if they were secretly doing it then... but IMO mac os x on intel would just not have been right in early 2000's, given apple's vision, direction, and needing to do the mac os 9 POWERPC to mac os 10 POWERPC transition.

"If a copy of OS X on Intel were to fall in to my lap, I certainly wouldn't have ANY quams about installing it on a homebrew machine...."

yeah, i think it will be fun, but no matter how much i've enjoyed setting up an AMD64-venice-6600gt-sata for a low low homebrew price, the overall hardware-software-OS experience just isn't as fantabulous as when i use my iBook g4 933mhz(!) just need to get shit done and cant afford fucking around with shite

.....homebrew osX-on-intel will for the next few years continue to face this challenge of fun for tinkering but beyond that, well... more for hardcore tweakers i'd say...
  • Reply 31 of 33
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

depends upon whose wallet it is and who is taking it.

it amazes me how people forget about the robin hood theory.

i completely support stealing anything from the likes of Dick Cheney or Walmart if possible.

a more structured and stable distribution of wealth and labor would certainly be preferable, but we simply aren't there yet. you can't even get mainstream Democrats to talk about bringing us up to speed with the rest of the industrialized world by offering a universal healthcare system or bringing social security benefits back down to a more reasonable age.

absolute morality (e.g. stealing is wrong always regardless of circumstance) is perhaps the worst legacy of religion and we will be fighting it for generations to come.

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?

Stealing is wrong, period! There are but few if any reasons to steal anything that one has earned to give to someone who has not. (I believe survivors of the hurricane that just hit New Orleans have a right to take food, water and medicine. But that?s it.) Redistribution of wealth is one of the most un-American ideas I have ever heard. That is what they did in the former Soviet Union and you can see where that got them. I don?t care in what free society you use for example, there will always be the upper, middle and lower classes. Many think that it is wrong but here is the catch you don?t have to stay that way. With hard work and dedication you can be whatever you so choose. I myself was a high school dropout and a drug user. Now I have a degree and am clean and sober (for 15 years) with a thriving business. It should not be redistribution of wealth it should be getting off your dead ass and do something with your life. All these people that think I just don?t understand the plait of the poor were lucky not to have to walk in my shoes. ?Poor? is a current situation not a way to define yourself. I know what I am talking about because I lived it.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *checks thread title*

*checks forum*

Guys? Political 'discussions' belong elsewhere. Please take them out of this thread, or they'll just be deleted without warning from here on out.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

If you don't understand that as being theft, then your mother didn't raise you properly.

That's a good way to put it. Theft is theft. Downloading an "evaluation" copy, when no such license is provided for in the EULA, is stealing.

Rationalize it all you want to. After all, there are still some folks around who talk about all the great roads that Hitler managed to get built.

[MOD: This sounds like a *MORAL* discussion about software licensing and theft. But if it's too political, just move the thread.]