Office 12: UI

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I wonder why they didn't just replace everything with a writing wizard?

Then they could get rid of the toolbars too!

Is the next word you want to type:

( ) Noun

( ) Verb

( ) Adjective

( ) Other...

Back | Next | Cancel Word
  • Reply 22 of 30
    don't forget the new office12 assistant that will cheerfully guide you word-for-word through this to make your office experience more fun, entertaining, and productive than ever before.

• Reply 23 of 30
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Very Intuitive©. Like Miró.

--B

• Reply 24 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    For all you nay-sayers of OOo, take a look at the pre-release of 2.0, it looks really good (in windows and Gnome anyway, dont know the status of the OSX variant)

This office toolbar change could be verry good...for the job securety of up-and coming IT guys who are learning lots of systems, unlike the flood of MCSE-bots tfrom the mid-late 90s that run things now. I remember in the late 90s, guys would skip college, get some worthless MCSA/MCSE and think they were set for life...If MS keeps doing what they are doing, that may be a short "life" that they are set for
  • Reply 25 of 30
    i take back what i said about open office. i'll be using open office Calc 2.0 (suse 9.3) (gnome) from now on instead of excel2003 on winxp2. screenshot here...

i'm impressed.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I love the almost completly random use of gradients in the Longhorn and Office UI. Apple has at least been fairly consistent in choosing a light source for the GUI and sticking too it - System 7 to Mac OS 9 had the light coming from the top-left and all drop shadows and highlights on windows/widgets/etc reflecting this. In Mac OS X the light appears to come from directly above, with shadows distributed evenly below windows/icons/etc and highlights at the top. The only thing that breaks this is bloody brushed metal which has a gradient going into the centre for some random reason.

But that screenshot - wow! The window title has gradients going into the centre, and then there's some random extra gradient below it that is also centred, but shorter, so the gradients don't align properly. The toolbar, 'aqua-style' buttons and the status bar all appear to be getting light from directly above. The scrollbar and combo-box button on the top half of the window are "luna" style with light coming from the left. And to top it off they have a completely different style of scrollbar within the lower part of the window which has the light source centred!

Hooray!
  • Reply 27 of 30
    yeah. they went gradient-mad on that gradients are the core of the fine, subtle art of pixel-pushing. interesting point about metal, even firefox brushed-metal theme has the light source in the middle. i wonder if a top-light or corner light source might not work so well for metal ui...
  • Reply 28 of 30
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i wonder if a top-light or corner light source might not work so well for metal ui...

Just for kicks 'n' giggles I decided to do some quick mock-ups in Photoshop (you have to excuse the awful looking buttons, there're the built in Photoshop ones):

This is what we have at the moment - a centre highlight.

Here's straight from the top...

... and here's from the top left.

I guess the centre one looks nicer somehow. I dunno why exactly, maybe it's just because it's what I'm used to seeing.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    cool. we got some UI design R&D happening here. left light source definitely not so worky, top light source is a bit weird for metal, but essential for the 'aqua crystal' ui.... hmmmm..... edit: i think its got something to do with tile-ing as well maybe *sigh* time for bed... umm i mean half-life2
  • Reply 30 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Match the highlights on the buttons too, or it just looks wrong.