first intel mac news

m1cm1c
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Did CIJ actually say "June, 2006" or is this the writer's SWAG?
  • Reply 2 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by franksargent

Did CIJ actually say "June, 2006" or is this the writer's SWAG?

From the french site Macbidouille:

Steve a indiqué qu'il n'y aurait pas de Mactel avant juin 2006

which means:

Steve said that there won't be Mactels before June 2006

So, some great PowerPC products ahead.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Bull Sh*t. If you want a quote it's
    Quote:

"Apple is on schedule to ship its first Intel-based computers by June 2006"

It does not say they will not come before June 2006. He's saying they have not fallen behind.

Macbidouille: didn't have a word for word quote. It was an interpretive statement.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

From the french site Macbidouille:

Steve a indiqué qu'il n'y aurait pas de Mactel avant juin 2006

which means:

Steve said that there won't be Mactels before June 2006

So, some great PowerPC products ahead.

My 6.5 year old B&W just died and I've got ~$4K burning a hole in my pocket, I anxiously await the "great PowerPC products." Specifically, a 970MP dualie as a minimum, when (if ever) will this see the light of day?

As CIJ said "I like options."

So I am looking on the AMD/Linux side of things. For example, in the laptop area the MSI MS-1029 (whitebox) looks attractive with an MT-40 (2.2GHz) Turion, 2GB DDR400 RAM, 60GB 7200RPM HD, Bluetooth, for under $1800 (to my door). On the desktop side of things I'm looking at the Tyan K8WE (S2895UA2NRF, Ultra320, Nvidia4 2200/2050 chipset, 16x SLI, etc.) motherboard with 2 Opteron 270 (2GHz, dual core/each). I haven't finished pricing this build-your-own, but I believe that for $4-5K, I can get a fairly good system with (potentially) good OC potential.

So I will wait a little bit longer, however my patience is starting to wear thin on the Power side of the Apple fence.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Macbidouille: didn't have a word for word quote. It was an interpretive statement.

I am afraid you are right.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Bull Sh*t. If you want a quote it's

It does not say they will not come before June 2006. He's saying they have not fallen behind.

I agree with onlooker. MacBidouille's Lionel has a reputation of misinterpreting people. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that he's french and doesn't understand english or if he's got bad communication skills but I'd more readily believe a direct *english* quote from any source than a translated quote from Lionel.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Jobs also confirmed Apple?s switch to Intel processors remains on schedule, saying: ?We said we?d be shipping by next June and we are on track to have that be a true statement?.

this is taken from www.macworld.co.uk article so it's not the French misinterpreting it's all of you.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The funny thing during this keynote, is that there wasn't any journalist from french magazine dedicated to the mac.

Lionel was not at this keynote. Everything was related via others peoples.

The point is the the next Intel mac will be released around june 2006. By is not before afterall.

BTW you are right : direct english quote are better, than Lionel's quote, or any other french quote. In this case, the quote is translated two times : the first one in english (and it may differ slighty) then the second time from french to english : the distorsion will be huge, and the original quote have very slight chance to be exactly the same than the original. Excepting simplistic sentances like : give me the bread please (donnez moi le pain s'il vous plait), there is no way that translation have exactly the same meaning. it's like synonisms : they don't have always the exact same meaning.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The point is the the next Intel mac will be released around june 2006. By is not before afterall.

By signifies a 'deadline'...so this gives Apple the liberty to release a Macintel anytime between this very moment and June 2006.

Some hope this is an optimistic deadline...but others that know better (and know Apple's history) will take it to mean June 30th 23:59.

Some may even say the deadline will be missed...thanks to heir Jobs' countless broken promises.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

By signifies a 'deadline'...so this gives Apple the liberty to release a Macintel anytime between this very moment and June 2006.

Some hope this is an optimistic deadline...but others that know better (and know Apple's history) will take it to mean June 30th 23:59.

Some may even say the deadline will be missed...thanks to heir Jobs' countless broken promises.

Thanks for this clarification.

I fear that you will be right also for the second point
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

... will take it to mean June 30th 23:59.

It won't be missed! They'll release it on June 38th, at 46:53!
  • Reply 12 of 35
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    ?We said we?d be shipping by next June and we are on track to have that be a true statement,? said Jobs.

This means they plan to have a product shipping by the time June rolls around. It doesn't mean they will wait until June to do so. Any time between January and June is possible. Ideally, he would like to get up on stage at the WWDC in June and talk about how well the Intel based Mac mini has been selling rather than announce it there and talk about how they just barely made the deadline. You also have to consider that ever since the 3.0 GHz debacle they are going to be extra careful when announcing deadlines. Saying they will have product shipping by June gives them a lot of flexibility with June being the absolute deadline.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

By is not before afterall.

Um, actually it is. It means any time up to that point.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Saying they will have product shipping by June gives them a lot of flexibility with June being the absolute deadline.

Yeah, I think that's the reason for such statements. Apple obviously feels that they can release an Intel based Mac at any time between now and June, just they need some time to get it right. How much time, they won't tell.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, the way Apples PPC stuff is starting to reek of spoiled fish, the sooner the Intel stuff comes, the better.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    "When I said juni 2006 I meant june quarter."

"June 2006? Yes the year in which june quarter 2006 is in. The year June 30th 2006 streching to june 29th 2007. So a February 2007 release is early on our promised schedule."

"Intel Macs? Where did you hear such a stupid thing ***Doing jedi hand wave thing while kicking in the 16 way 970MP driven RDF generator turbo up to 11***"
  • Reply 17 of 35
    I find the timeframe odd as SJ says OS X has run on Intel from 10.0. The dev box is running on more or less standard PC hardware, and chances are all Apple apps are universal binaries at HQ.

So...

What will take until June 2006? Is Apple just waiting for 3rd party support to be good? Or for Yonah?

I'm curious.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

I find the timeframe odd as SJ says OS X has run on Intel from 10.0. The dev box is running on more or less standard PC hardware, and chances are all Apple apps are universal binaries at HQ.

So...

What will take until June 2006? Is Apple just waiting for 3rd party support to be good? Or for Yonah?

I'm curious.

Apple want to make a different PC. I am sure Jobs want something new. The Mac has intel inside, but it's way different from a PC.

Perhaps a next generation Bios, is on the way, a new case (sure), some new features (?).

The Intel mac will be an original design for sure. It's related to the famous "think different" credo.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

So...

I'm curious.

I think that I read somewhere that Apple said that the iApps are all ready for universal bionaries, but not all of the professional level software.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

So...

I'm curious.

I don't think Apple will ship anything based on Intel hardware until the popular programs have been converted. I, for one, cannot imagine having a Mac without photoshop, illustrator, and BBedit installed on it. Not to mention Apple owned applications like logic pro. I know everyone wants the Intel macs to come out soon, but without the needed software, what's the point?