WebKit Untouched for a Whole Week

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    When OMNI made the decision, they based it on their evaluation of Apple's frameworks. They found features such as HTTP transport (and especially error handling) far more well-developed on their own frameworks, rather than Apple's. OMNI has a long history in NeXT, whereas Apple has decided to rework much of this from scratch. It has come to a point, however, where's OMNI's decision is moot, since Apple have sufficiently developed their frameworks to do just as much (if not more) than OMNI's.

Hopefully, OmniWeb 5.2/5.5/6.0 will return to WebKit.

(edit) Read this article from John Gruber, especially the "OmniWeb?s Core Problem" section. This has essentially remained unchanged from the 5.0 beta mentioned there to the 5.1.x versions available now.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nautical

No it doesn't. Acid 2 is still a garbled mess with the latest webkit nightly.

I don't know what 'latest nightly' you're using but WebKit has passed the Acid2 test for months now.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

No it doesn't. Acid 2 is still a garbled mess with the latest webkit nightly.

No it's not. Have you even tried it?

Amorya
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Amorya

I tried it 5 minutes ago. Works great, just like it did when I tried it months ago.

You are aware that simply compiling Webkit isn't enough to use it though, right? You have to either run the run-safari script or modify Safari to use the new Webkit. By default, Safari reverts to the stable version of WebKit in your frameworks directory, which of course, does fail the Acid 2 test.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

I tried it 5 minutes ago. Works great, just like it did when I tried it months ago.

You are aware that simply compiling Webkit isn't enough to use it though, right? You have to either run the run-safari script or modify Safari to use the new Webkit. By default, Safari reverts to the stable version of WebKit in your frameworks directory, which of course, does fail the Acid 2 test.

Amorya is actually agreeing with you (well that is how I read it)

• Reply 26 of 35
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    This may seem like I am behind a bit

But how does one uses run-run safari script that makes safari use the webkit from the nightly builds.

Any help or info would be extremely great as I would like to give it a go.

TIA

Rob 8)
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

Amorya is actually agreeing with you (well that is how I read it)

Oh man, you're right. Sorry! I didn't look to see who Amorya was replying to :P
  • Reply 28 of 35
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Help me out with the last pat, "run the run-safari script"?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Look at gsxrboy's post above. A clue is given.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Open Terminal.app and type

Quote:

WebKitTools/Scripts/run-safari

It's case sensitive.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

The History doesn't have any options basically. What if I don't want it to keep more than a day of History, or if I want it to keep an infinite History (something I would prefer.)

There's various hidden preferences for this, cf. this blog post:

Quote:

WebKitHistoryItemLimit (number)

This (which is by default 1000) sets how much history is remembered and is a simple page count.

WebKitHistoryAgeInDaysLimit (number)

The number of days an item on the history list lives, after which it is removed (defaults to 7). This plus WebKitHistoryItemLimit allow you to control the history list either with a simple count, or age. To be safe with the age (if you do lots of browsing), you may want to increase the item limit so it doesn't kick in before the age limit.

Not entirely what you want, but you could always set the item limit to a very high number.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Not entirely what you want, but you could always set the item limit to a very high number.

Hmm, what a negative number, e.g. -1, would do in this case?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Apparently I hadn't. I assumed that once you had run Nightwatch Safari would boot with the new version of Webkit. Which clearly wasn't the case.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Apparently I hadn't. I assumed that once you had run Nightwatch Safari would boot with the new version of Webkit. Which clearly wasn't the case.

You exit Safari.

You run NightShift. It downloads and copies a new WebKit.

You run "WebKit" from Applications, which will launch Safari, except with the newer WebKit engine.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

You exit Safari.

You run NightShift. It downloads and copies a new WebKit.

You run "WebKit" from Applications, which will launch Safari, except with the newer WebKit engine.

Thanks! I realized this after I had read the instructions accompanying Nightshift.