How to start when switching from PC to Mac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    tidelwavtidelwav Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghostboa

Thanks Tidelwav, thats the kind of info I am looking for. Are you on the 12 or 14? I imagine you are using the 14 if you use photoshop that much.

It's the 14". I'm an photographer and the 12" is too small to really do much with the photos.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Hey Soopa.

I got the 12" Powerbook. I initially went to the local Compusa to look at the apple notebooks. After a few minutes of messing around with the different models, I really liked this one. So I went home and ordered one. I dont know what it is, but for a little computer this thing is really impressive. I have installed Macromedia Studio and Photoshop CS but I have not had much time to push them to see what it can do. I have been too busy with Widgets lol. I followed Kicks advice and went with 1.5gb memory so I am sure it will handle it well. I know the larger screen would be nicer for the apps I use, but I just had to have this little 12" model

One thing that really suprised me was the overall quality and attention to detail of these things. Just really nice.

Ghost
  • Reply 23 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Thanks, I know, Photoshop can drag CPU/Mem down. Most of my confusion here comes from the CPU and memory between the two different computers. The CPU speeds with PC and Mac dont seem to mean the same thing I guess. And the memory, I know what it takes for a PC to run something like Photoshop, but with a Mac I have no idea. Would it be about the same? Thanks again for your response.

There is a sort of equation that may help, nothing official, but it can help gauge the ram needs.

Code:

SW Ram needs

OS X 256

MiSC apps 256 (browser, email, itunes, widgets, spotlight...)

Photoshop ~50 (APP ONLY)

File(s) @ 1 time ???? (you doing 500k web graphics or 1GB posters?, how many filters...)

Workflow ???? (Running adobe bridge? Stock Image viewer? Acrobat? Imageready?...)

TOTAL 768 Minimum

If this is how you make your living, go for at least 2 GB(or as much as the thing can hold)...You dont want to find out that you are a little short on ram the hard way, in crunch time.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Thanks again all for responses.

It really isnt about having the cash or not, its just simply about what 'should' I spend to get a feel for these computers. If a PowerMac is the better option, I will just grab one of those. But if an iBook will do that job, then its an iBook I will get.

I do understand thoroughly. In order to get a feeling for the

Mac, even the "weakest" iBook is more than sufficient. Even

an used one or a refurb.

Don't hesitate, you won't regret.

Quote:

I got the 12" Powerbook. I initially went to the local Compusa to look at the apple notebooks. After a few minutes of messing around with the different models, I really liked this one. ..., but I just had to have this little 12" model

One thing that really suprised me was the overall quality and attention to detail of these things. Just really nice.

Ghost

Well, maybe i should get used to read threads to end. They

pay off twists you even remotely consider after reading the

first few post.

Anyway, i know what you are talking about, second time
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I do understand thoroughly. In order to get a feeling for the

Mac, even the "weakest" iBook is more than sufficient. Even

an used one or a refurb.

Don't hesitate, you won't regret.

Well, maybe i should get used to read threads to end. They

pay off twists you even remotely consider after reading the

first few post.

Anyway, i know what you are talking about, second time

Hehe thanks, and no, so far not even the smallest feeling of regret. I think I am already hooked on the Mac OS. I find myself looking for software I used on XP to get for this all day and night! lol. Sometimes I have no choice and have to work on the PC, but I guess Ill live haha.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Hehe thanks, and no, so far not even the smallest feeling of regret. I think I am already hooked on the Mac OS. I find myself looking for software I used on XP to get for this all day and night! lol. Sometimes I have no choice and have to work on the PC, but I guess Ill live haha.

Anyway, warm welcome and congratulation.

Btw, feel free to ask (you came to the right place)
  • Reply 27 of 27
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

... so far not even the smallest feeling of regret. I think I am already hooked on the Mac OS.

Told you so!

You're gonna get many years of enjoyment outta that Powerbook.

Welcome aboard