Analysts expects new iPods, Macs at special event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Read my...words: Apple will release the Intel chips in the Power Macs first. If history is any indicator, Apple can be expected to release their new architecture in their highest-end Mac before any others. Did we see a G4 hit the Powerbook first? No. Did we see the G5 in the iMac first? No.

I think the first Mactels we'll see will be at WWDC next year.

I think this situation is different though. Before, Apple was just competing against itself with the PPC processor line-up. The highest end processor had to go into the high end machines first.

Here we are changing chip lines completely. A direct competition, not just between Apple's own lines, but between every PC company's lines as well.

As Adobe and others said that it would take them 18 months to completely revise their pro software, Apple can't release a machine to run it until enough of that software is up and running also.

This leaves the consumer machines. Consumer software is smaller, thus easier to port over. The rest of it can run over Rosetta without a problem because it isn't optimized for the G4-5, or used Altivec. Apple's own programs such as iLife, iWork and others will be ready soon. They are also consumer. Apple's pro programs weren't announced as having been ported back in June, and likely won't be ready for a while either.

While PB's might move around June or July if Apple chooses to use a Yonah, it would only be because a 7448 PB can't compete against a Yonah iBook unless the iBook used an especially weak low end chip. I'm not sure Apple would want to do that. Too much disappointment and bad publicity would follow.

The iMac would be a natural follow-on. It's sort of in-between. It's a home machine, but pro's use them as well. If they come out end of 2006 or early 2007, in time for a 64 bit Leopard, they would do well if Rosetta will work with dual cores by that time.

Powermac has got to be last. Apple needs the hi power chips that won't be out until mid 2007, and for that above mentioned software that might not be ready until early 2007. If Leopard is the first 64 bit version of Apple's x86 OS, then there would be no purpose in releasing a new PM before it's ready. There has already been enough talk about Apple going backwards to 32 bit in its developer release.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    don't forget that almost 18 months ago apple posted job openings for engineers specializing in portable video, and that there were rumors of them buying out TiVo half a year ago. perhaps apple has just been working WITH TiVo.

mmm, iPod TiVo.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by desarc

don't forget that almost 18 months ago apple posted job openings for engineers specializing in portable video, and that there were rumors of them buying out TiVo half a year ago. perhaps apple has just been working WITH TiVo.

mmm, iPod TiVo.

Rumors are about on the level of speculation. Also, it didn't turn out to be true.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

A lot of people are quite happy to watch videos on a PSP screen, so I don't see size as a problem. And it's been known for a while now that Apple will start selling music videos through iTMS, so they will have some content available at launch.

Yes that is right and the music industry will like that just fine. Never in the history of music videos has one EVER made any money directly. Intitially they weren't available and later they weren't marketed. Now that might change. Sell a video for $3-$4 and the things might actually generate some revenue. The "record company weasels" gotta love that.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

Comical article.

Proving the "Pro's" on Wall Street know less than ThinkSecret and AppleInsider.

Anyway, I just got a nano, and I am all about the same form factor, so I couldn't care less about a new larger iPod. If the video value prop is fantastic, then maybe I will get one. But I doubt it.

What I REALLY WANT is a nice bump to the PowerBook line. I am using a Rev B. 17" PowerBook which has seen better days.

Give me HD. Make it faster. Better battery life, if possible. I will buy that the day it is announced.

But I think the smart money is on "PowerBook HD" Apple needs to transition away from the G4 and G5 names ASAP.

Nobody give a sh*t what you want. The analysts have a better record at predicting Apple's next move than AI or TS have ever been.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rdas7

Dual-Core PowerMacs would be sweet - but they'd only have a 12mo' lifespan until Apple moved to an entirely new processor (Intel)...

Your definition of lifespan is bogus. Those Macs would still run fine after a year, as will other PPC-based Macs after Intel-based Mac are released.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Nobody give a sh*t what you want.

Nor what you already have, e.g. posting system specs in signatures.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Nor what you already have, e.g. posting system specs in signatures.

I don't know why people date themselves with their signatures.

Anyway, think games on this iPod. A la PSP.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Nobody give a sh*t what you want.

Wow, that was defensive... and somewhat uncalled for...

Unlike WSJ and other market analysts, AppleInsider and ThinkSecret aren't about analysis, they're about rumor. They're about what people are saying could be happening... like what people want, for example. So I agree that the analysts, being analysts, have more consistently accurate analyses. Still, to start a flaming on the matter is nothing short of... anal.

Sorry, bad, I know... I couldn't resist the pun...
  • Reply 30 of 50
    You know if the Wall Street Journal is only half right this could turn them into a Rumor site, may hurt them as a credible Financial News source. However, if they are right I get a New Mac.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    BS

no one has any idea what will happen

everyone just sit back and enjoy the show
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeedAnewMac

You know if the Wall Street Journal is only half right this could turn them into a Rumor site, may hurt them as a credible Financial News source. However, if they are right I get a New Mac.

Two times they have come up with stories about what Apple will do, and both times they were right.

The rumors sites weren't even awake.

They are a professional organization that has been around for a long time. They have far better sources than any rumors site, even if they luck out every now and again.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Two times they have come up with stories about what Apple will do, and both times they were right.

The rumors sites weren't even awake.

They are a professional organization that has been around for a long time. They have far better sources than any rumors site, even if they luck out every now and again.

Important point about them being paid for want they do. More importantly still, look at your first sentence again, everything before the comma.

"Two times they have come up with stories about what Apple will do."

Stop right there.

AppleInsider has been running for quite a while, and guess what, if the name didn't give it away - every story is about what Apple will do or is doing or has done. This is a dedicated Apple rumor site. In other words, the only way to make sure you don't lose is to not play the game!

I'm sure WSJ has commented on Appe more often than twice in the last few decades, but I'm also sure that in the last few months AppleInsider has given us more info and rumors about Apple than WSJ has all year. I'm not saying this is bad for WSJ - it's a financial journal, not an Apple rumor site!
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Important point about them being paid for want they do. More importantly still, look at your first sentence again, everything before the comma.

"Two times they have come up with stories about what Apple will do."

Stop right there.

AppleInsider has been running for quite a while, and guess what, if the name didn't give it away - every story is about what Apple will do or is doing or has done. This is a dedicated Apple rumor site. In other words, the only way to make sure you don't lose is to not play the game!

I'm sure WSJ has commented on Appe more often than twice in the last few decades, but I'm also sure that in the last few months AppleInsider has given us more info and rumors about Apple than WSJ has all year. I'm not saying this is bad for WSJ - it's a financial journal, not an Apple rumor site!

I've subscribed to the WSJ and the NYT for over twenty years. they are not rumormongers. They may get political info from mixed sources and so may be off. But when they report on business matters they do pretty well.

The last two stories starting with the Intel one were the first "Inside" Apple stories the WSJ has done, other than reporting various analytical articles. That's why it was so surprising that they did it. Commenting is different, they do that all the time.

Going back just a few years ago the WSJ was so anti Apple it was difficult to read the articles. Then they changed.

Insider and other Mac rumor sites are wrong far more often than they are right. People forget when they are wrong. They almost never retract an article, and pretend that they were right even when going back to find the original story, you can see they were wrong.

But hey, this is fun, it's not business. Anyone buying or selling stock based on it is a fool. Even they would tell you that.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Um...the original article doesn't say anything about the Wall Street Journal...but it does say something about WALL STREET ANALYSTS.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by MovieCutter

Um...the original article doesn't say anything about the Wall Street Journal...but it does say something about WALL STREET ANALYSTS.

Yes, but if you read my early posts you would have seen that I mentioned it because I subscribe to it, and that's where I saw it.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

Yes, but if you read my early posts you would have seen that I mentioned it because I subscribe to it, and that's where I saw it.

I realize the discussion turned to the WSJ, but I was referring to the original poster who compared the WSJ to rumor sites. Probably shoulda quoted.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by MovieCutter

I realize the discussion turned to the WSJ, but I was referring to the original poster who compared the WSJ to rumor sites. Probably shoulda quoted.

True, and as melgross and I were both saying, the comparison shouldn't be made. WSJ is no more a rumor site than AppleInsider is a financial journal.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Ok, now I might as well annoy everyone and tell you what I think would a good idea for Apple and the iPod.

First of all, remember that the iPod is an entertainment device with some very useful extra functions.

I can see the iPod morphing even further.

If they enlarge the screen and up the rez, while making the wheel smaller, the unit will not onlt be able to display videos. It will enable the machine to become a very good game machine at the same time. Apple will have to add some API's to allow game companies to enable this, and possibly that fast new Intel processor.

But think about it.

People who listen to music on their players are very often gamers as well. While a video player most likely has a limited audience, as Jobs says, people who buy the iPod to listen to music and play games might want to watch a movie or tv show when they are on a trip.

When they are out taking pictures on their digital camera they might need to store photo's on their iPod instead of carrying around several memory cards.

Later back at the hotel room they may want to play a game to relax.

Of course we can do other things as well, such as move files from one computer to another etc.

I think that this would make the iPod almost indespensable.

Wouldn't game companies do games for the GAME iPod (gPod?) that sells five million or more units a year?
  • Reply 40 of 50
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

Ok, now I might as well annoy everyone and tell you what I think would a good idea for Apple and the iPod.

...snip...

Theres quite a bit of competition in this field, particularily from the PSP. As a secondary feature with a public API, I can see lots of posibilities, but at the same time Apple would be wary of doing this as it would open the device up for hacks - unless they could use Java or somthing to keep the applications seperate from the device and other apps.

Also, one of the strong points of the iPod is that it has focused on playing music, and doing it well. The input device for the ipod - the click wheel - isn't really suited to many game types, I honestly can't see Apple moving into the gaming area, without doing it seriously. Developing a games console requires prior warning - years - to get developers to develop games for it.

I see video content a much more likely announcement, as I've outlined in previous posts.