octoMac!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I didn't read any before posts, but couldn't this just be a dual Intel board with hyper threading?

No, this actually has 8 different cores and 4 processors. Read the first post.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

No, this actually has 8 different cores and 4 processors. Read the first post.

The first post says: 4 cores located on 2 or 4 different chips, each running with 2-way Hyperthreading for a total of 8 logical processors.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    What I thought it was is 2 sockets. With 2 chips. 2 cores each chip = 4 cores, 4 hyper-threaded cores. = 8.

That's what I thought. 2 processors/chips. 4 physical cores, and 8 logical cores.

4 cores in 2 chips but hyper-threading makes each core appear as 2. 4 x 2 = 8.

So where you see the pictures of 4 (what look like) processors. Those are actually representations of cores. The 8 bands in the other picture is the hyper-threading.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    This MacIntel will never see the light. Apple will never use the the P4 family chip.

Currently the dual 2,7 ghz mac is a very fast computer, and you can bet that a dual MP computer will be even faster.

If the first Intel mac will be laptops, it's not by hazard, it's because the intel chips are better.

It will take more time to have a better desktop chip, than the G5 chips. If a dual MP G5 is coming out, I will buy one, because I think that this computer will rock and will be a collector.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

The first post says: 4 cores located on 2 or 4 different chips, each running with 2-way Hyperthreading for a total of 8 logical processors.

This is really testing my abilities of dividing and multiplying by 2.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This is really testing my abilities of dividing and multiplying by 2.

I think it's 2 chips = 4 cores, and those 4 cores are hyperthreaded. = 8 logical.

This is something Apple needs IMO. Something to say Hey.. We don't just make Barbie computers.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think it's 2 chips = 4 cores, and those 4 cores are hyperthreaded. = 8 logical.

This is something Apple needs IMO. Something to say Hey.. We don't just make Barbie computers.

Yeah I think you're right here.

Pentium D Extreme proc with HT

That would do it in a 2 socket mobo. 8 Logical cores.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Well I for one would be thrilled.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Wow, this is interesting, although I just can't see this happenening... 4 x 2.9 or 2.7, (can't remember ) CPU's is pretty ridiculous!

Charlie -
  • Reply 30 of 31
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPod-3G-Best

Wow, this is interesting, although I just can't see this happenening... 4 x 2.9 or 2.7, (can't remember ) CPU's is pretty ridiculous!

Get used to it. By 2010 having 8 logical threads in a desktop machine is going to seem skimpy.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPod-3G-Best

Charlie -

What's so different? There are only 2 chips involved to get 8 logical processors. PowerMacs have had Dual Chips for years. I don't see that as a big difference in anyway other than it's merely the evolution of a standard PowerMac Dual processor configuration. Nothing has actually changed other than what the chips are capable of doing all by themselves.