Hands-On With the New iMac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Any idea whether video files have to be in the iTunes library to be viewed with Front Row? For example, would one have to add all of their iMovies to iTunes, or will it just find all the QuickTime playable movies in your ~/Movies/ folder automatically?

iTunes doesn't appear to accept all QuickTime compatible movie files (AVI being a glaring example).
  • Reply 22 of 26
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Any idea whether video files have to be in the iTunes library to be viewed with Front Row? For example, would one have to add all of their iMovies to iTunes, or will it just find all the QuickTime playable movies in your ~/Movies/ folder automatically?

iTunes doesn't appear to accept all QuickTime compatible movie files (AVI being a glaring example).

As I understand it, it uses the movies folder -- there is a menu item for iMovies certainly.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

Placebo:

Being an IR remote likely that's too much data to send; the motion and the speed of motion. Probably much more reliable to do the acceleration in software rather than over IR com.

That doesn't make sense as an answer; if there was a clickwheel, the little remote could do the calculations, and then send the same signals the current remote would send.

Would probably be a 1st Gen clickwheel though.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Placebo:

Sure it does. I'm saying the computer would be the most efficient to do the calculations. Sending the raw data of rotation + velocity is wasteful, especially in such a sloppy transmition medium as IR.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That doesn't make sense as an answer; if there was a clickwheel, the little remote could do the calculations, and then send the same signals the current remote would send.

Would probably be a 1st Gen clickwheel though.

those are cool
  • Reply 26 of 26
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes I am sure they will add a clickwheel to the remote. It just makes sense. And it will be freakin sweet.

This machine almost makes me want to give up my laptop for a desktop. Almost. Damn, if only I could have both! Maybe when I'm a lawyer with lots of $ from AAPL investment...