Image shows fifth-gen iPod case, accessories

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Every time a firmware restore is done? If somthing goes wrong with the device, too often Apple employees recommend a full restore, which wipes the drive.

I don't see why saving pocket change in construction expense really makes a difference to the buyer, the price to the buyer would be the same given Apple's fixed price points. Even if it did make a difference, I would gladly pay the little extra.

3 iPods for more then 2 years. Never had to restore.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by CraigMcShanensonson

I am new to IPOD's--just ordered the new 30gb one--I am assuming these cases don't come with it, correct? Also, what is the fallout going to be since there doesn't seem to be a digital out in terms of having a car connection? Talk to me here people talk to me. [by the way pardon my ignorance]

It comes with the case.

As far as the digital out goes, if I'm understanding you correctly, I believe there are some 3rd party dock connector accessories that you can get that would provide a line out. But for me, I turn my volume to 75% and use the headphone jack, it works well enough.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

It comes with the case.

As far as the digital out goes, if I'm understanding you correctly, I believe there are some 3rd party dock connector accessories that you can get that would provide a line out. But for me, I turn my volume to 75% and use the headphone jack, it works well enough.

Thanks for the answers. Hopefully that case will be able to clip to my shorts for running/going to the gym. As for the lineout, I was referring to a way to connect it to my car stereo using one of the third party fm modulators or something else. As it stands now, the only ones that are compatible according to Apple's website are those that have tape decks...
  • Reply 24 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

3 iPods for more then 2 years. Never had to restore.

I've had one ipod for only one year. Mine sometimes won't wake up after a sleep. For a while, it wouldn't even reset. Apple replaced it, and the replacement does the exact same thing, and I've done a restore two or three times for each one hoping it was just a corrupt firmware or drive sector.

I listen to many hour-long podcasts and I think that's part of the problem. I pause it part way through, and it goes to sleep and sometimes it doesn't want to wake up. A partial solution for me was to downgrade to a pre-podcast firmware but I still have problems.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

the sonnet tempo trio card, though, sure looks nice, since it packs so darned much on one card (usb 2.0, extra firewire 400 ports, and dual-channel ata-133... don't laugh, my machine at home is all ata-133, and it flies with as much ram i have packed inside).

That looks like a nifty product, though a bit steep in price, IMO, though probably worth it in some packed computers.

I'm currently using a Adaptec DuoConnect, the 3020, FW + USB, and I've already filled up all but one connector.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by CraigMcShanensonson

Thanks for the answers. Hopefully that case will be able to clip to my shorts for running/going to the gym. As for the lineout, I was referring to a way to connect it to my car stereo using one of the third party fm modulators or something else. As it stands now, the only ones that are compatible according to Apple's website are those that have tape decks...

I used to wear the case that clipped to my belt. Until, when I pulled down my pants to go to the bathroom and the clip came off and my iPod went down into the toilet. I've not done that anymore.

And as I mentioned earlier, Griffin has the iTrip FM modulator designed specifically for the video pods.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ip30/index.php

Of course that runs for 50 bucks on pre-order. And it eliminates the capability to plug in an auto power adapter
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I've had one ipod for only one year. Mine sometimes won't wake up after a sleep. For a while, it wouldn't even reset. Apple replaced it, and the replacement does the exact same thing, and I've done a restore two or three times for each one hoping it was just a corrupt firmware or drive sector.

I listen to many hour-long podcasts and I think that's part of the problem. I pause it part way through, and it goes to sleep and sometimes it doesn't want to wake up. A partial solution for me was to downgrade to a pre-podcast firmware but I still have problems.

Gremlins.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

And as I mentioned earlier, Griffin has the iTrip FM modulator designed specifically for the video pods.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ip30/index.php

Of course that runs for 50 bucks on pre-order. And it eliminates the capability to plug in an auto power adapter

What's wrong with combining this:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=193794

With this:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=166893

???

You get to play your iPod through your car stereo (yukkie FM quality, but all transmitters are like that) and power your iPod at the same time? What's the difference?

Or is it that you gotta shell out for new stuff that has you upset??

I'm lucky, I currently have a mini and I use a dock connector that draws power from the lighter and also has a line out to my stereo. Nice crisp sound. Best way to go.

<edit>

Then there's always this option, which I'm sure Belkin and company will be releasing versions for the new iPods soon:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=186782

</edit>
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by tenchi71

What's wrong with combining this:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=193794

With this:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=166893

???

You get to play your iPod through your car stereo (yukkie FM quality, but all transmitters are like that) and power your iPod at the same time? What's the difference?

Or is it that you gotta shell out for new stuff that has you upset??

I'm lucky, I currently have a mini and I use a dock connector that draws power from the lighter and also has a line out to my stereo. Nice crisp sound. Best way to go.

<edit>

Then there's always this option, which I'm sure Belkin and company will be releasing versions for the new iPods soon:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=186782

</edit>

I personally don't care, because FM quality stinks. But for those that do and own the iTrip (the most popular FM transmitter on the market), they're now forced to abandon it with the new iPOds and buy 5th gen accessories. Griffin's Air Trip was something I was seriously thinking of getting. But not any more, because I know I'll eventually upgrade to the 5th gen and then it will be no good.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

I used to wear the case that clipped to my belt. Until, when I pulled down my pants to go to the bathroom and the clip came off and my iPod went down into the toilet. I've not done that anymore.

That's one of those things you're not supposed to tell people! Oh dear!
  • Reply 31 of 35
    i can't see the image with the accessories.. can someone give me a link to it?

thanks
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

i can't see the image with the accessories.. can someone give me a link to it?

thanks

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1317
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Why is no-one questioning what the hell that smaller iPod is? It's not a Nano, they are taller and thinner. This one just looks like a proportionally resized iPod. Why is there no mention of who provided this or where it is supposed to have come from? This is not an Apple image. Some schmuck just threw together a bunch of stuff, and wrong stuff at that.

-zip
  • Reply 34 of 35
    ziploc you're right.

the smaller iPod is just that. An iPd image scaled down. No idea why they bothered doing that though.

It's the best image i've seen of the case though
  • Reply 35 of 35
    what makes you think it should be the smaller ipod you should be lookign at!!! The smaller one looks about the right size compared to the usb cable and headphones. Is the announcement tommorrow another new ipod, which is bigger with firewire support and stuff for professionals!!

no i dont think so either

stu