Apple files for 'Vingle' trademark

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer has applied for a trademark on the term 'Vingle,' AppleInsider has discovered.

The iPod maker filed for the trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office earlier this month under three distinct categories.

The first filing describes Vingle as: "Telecommunication services, namely, electronic transmission of streamed and downloadable audio and video files via computer and other communications networks; providing on-line chat rooms, bulletin boards and community forums for the transmission of messages among computer users concerning entertainment, music, concerts, videos, radio, television, film, news, sports, games and cultural events; web casting services; delivery of messages by electronic transmission; provision of connectivity services and access to electronic communications networks, for transmission or reception of audio, video or multimedia content;"

A second filing describes Vingle as an audio entertainment service that may be available in its retail stores: "Retail store services in the field of entertainment, namely, musical, audio and audiovisual works and related merchandise, provided via the internet and other computer and electronic communication networks; data storage and retrieval services; computerized data storage services; electronic storage and retrieval of documents, data, images, audio, video and audiovisual works; information, advisory and consultancy services relating to all the aforesaid"

A final filing is more vague, describing Vingle as "Computers; computer hardware; computer peripherals; hand held computers; computer terminals; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds, images, or other data; portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing audio, video and still images files; magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices; telephones; computer gaming machines; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, disk drives; cameras; computer software; computer software for use in authoring, downloading, transmitting, receiving, editing, extracting, encoding, decoding, playing, storing and organizing audio, video and still images; computer software for DVD authoring; prerecorded computer programs for personal information management; database management software; computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases; blank computer and consumer electronic storage media; computer and electronic games; user manuals sold as a unit with the aforementioned goods"

All three filings were made on October 7th.

We welcome your speculation in the AppleInsider Forums.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    How very interesting. The first two filings seem like an expansion and combination of iTMS and .Mac.

The third sounds like a new naming scheme for their "iApps." Maybe we'll see nomenclature shifts starting soon?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Vingle will compete with Skype.
  • Reply 3 of 43

Weird stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Vingle = Video Single?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    gyregyre Posts: 1member
    The word "Vingle" seems kind of silly...
  • Reply 6 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Wow!

Really puts "Mighty Mouse" in perspective.

Mighty Mouse doesn't sound silly at all anymore
  • Reply 7 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    REALLY weird.

...magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices; telephones; computer gaming machines; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, wearable devices for time travel, disk drives; cameras...

• Reply 8 of 43
    a new ichat type deal?

Vingle --> Mingle

Video Mingle \
  • Reply 9 of 43
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    "I didn't wanna bungle or boggle the vingle dopple."
  • Reply 10 of 43
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

a new ichat type deal?

Vingle --> Mingle

Video Mingle \

This would be my guess. Some sort of video chat rooms maybe.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    This one is unlikely but I thought I'd get it out. Could it be like a jingle for you phone but instead being video based calling it a vingle? I'll go ahead and say no to myself.

I like the idea of video mingle though.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    It will be a device to capture our experiences from time travel.

Or v-mingling.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-Dog

This one is unlikely but I thought I'd get it out. Could it be like a jingle for you phone but instead being video based calling it a vingle?

Unlikely? Jeez, I dunno. Kinda makes sense imho.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i am guessing that, since apple is FINALLY bundling the isight with computers, it will FINALLY get some freakin' widespread acceptance, so the thought of webcam "rooms" is not out of the question, ESPECIALLY with high school and college students.

though this trademarking may mean absolutely nothing in the long run. remember "gigawire"? that went absolutely nowhere (or it's the slowest developing product/service known to mankind)
  • Reply 15 of 43
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gyre

The word "Vingle" seems kind of silly...

So did 'Nano'. One million silly Nanos later....

Vingle.

V-i-i-ingle. \

"Look; I haff mein Vingle."\ \

"Come, Liebchen, let us Vingle."\ \

"Let's Vingle at 8:00 PM."\ \

"I Vingle. You Vingle?"

"It don't know where I'd be without my Vingle!"

Even though I am no longer single, as long as there's a stylus and inkwell, I shall tingle to listen to a Jingle while I Vingle.

Yep; gonna keep my dayjob.

iV****

"See you soon."

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 16 of 43
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

REALLY weird.

...magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices; telephones; computer gaming machines; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, wearable devices for time travel, disk drives; cameras...

Pssst, you channeled into the 2022 Patent for Vingle 12.0.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 17 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Wellll, I don't know.

We haven't even stopped laughing and snickering over Intel's ViiV yet, and now Apple comes out with this?

I'm not sure which is worse!

Oh, wait, I am. It's this.

I actually can see the Mighty Mouse name. It's somewhat obvious. Especially when mentioned in conjunction with Apple.

But this has no meaning by itself.

So what is it? A verb? A noun? A proper name?

So do we Vingle? Or is it one is going TO Vingle? Or is my equipment A Vingle? (I know my equipment is a mess, but that's something else).
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I vingled my pants when I read this story. It's definitely weird, even for Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Video single. When they mingle you got vingle.

I hope that as the intent with the trademark and the fact that we didn´t hear it yesterday means Apple decided not to use it.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    I sort of had the impression it could be some sort of a myspace kind of knockoff. Then you could somehow keep in contact and up-to-date with people and things through the Vingle site/service with your Apple iPhone

Video Single also came to mind as well.