iWork

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by BushHater

There are a lot of features I would like to see in Keynote but there is just one I hope Apple finally gets around to with the 10.4.3 release. STOP Keynote from crashing under Tiger (never does with Panther). And if you don't Apple, at least admit the problem and quit being a stupid jerk company about it. Never admitting to a problem does not make it go away.

And don't pipe up and say it never crashes for you, it just means you use Keynote like a wimp.

I use Keynote with Tiger literally everyday and have never had a single problem or crash. Perhaps you are confusing Keynote with PowerPoint??
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by mfiwrh

I use Keynote with Tiger literally everyday and have never had a single problem or crash. Perhaps you are confusing Keynote with PowerPoint??

I have a number of Keynote files I can get to you (that will crash Keynote 2 under Tiger). You are welcome to try to "fix" it for me. Then you can post your results here. I would just add so you know, folks at Genius Bars have said the solution is to use Panther for now, but if you want to have a go at trouble shooting it, I'm ready to send you something.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by BushHater

if you want to have a go at trouble shooting it

Actually, I can find the problem myself. It is usually an object that is partially offslide with a build, or multiple builds in sequence. But it plays fine in Panther. So what does that tell you?
  • Reply 44 of 62
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmm. The two crashes I've had with Keynote under *Panther* have been with exactly the same thing: many builds in a row on one slide. Like I said before, I'll have up to 50 builds on the same slide. Those are the only ones that cause an issue. Odd.

Sounds like whatever the problem may be, Tiger makes it more susceptible, but Panther doesn't make it foolproof.

What's your QT version on each version of the OS? I'm thinking that perhaps QT is to blame, since KN relies on it for the transitions and builds. Queue too many, and blammo. If a recent build of QT is the problem, that would explain why it shows up under Tiger (QT7 default), my Panther installation (QT7 updated), but not necessarily other Panther installations (QT6 or QT7 depending on user).
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:

[i]What's your QT version on each version of the OS? [/B]

Latest Versions of QT. I have noticed this problem with every build of Tiger. (10.4. 10.4.1 and 10.4.2) Here's hoping for .3! I actually contracted with Apple Developer to troubleshoot an installer (packager) problem i was have and while I had an expert, I mentioned this to the fellow. He took a look at a couple files and said. "yup, crashes for me too, hopefully it's an OS issue". I don't know what the thinking was there, like it's better there than within Keynote. Anyway, he said he made a report of it as a bug to the Tiger people. So they know there is a problem (i'm sure before me), I guess it's a hard one to lick. It's just so frustrating that they got it right in Panther and then they rework something to "improve" it and they break it somewhere else. Grrrr.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Good News! Looks like 10.4.3 solves the Keynote crashing problem.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Excellent. I'd love to know what the problem was.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

'07? Are you insane?

I have been waiting for a real update to AppleWorks for more than SEVEN years.

(6.0 doesn't count.)

Apple has, in that time, shipped several versions of a whole operating system, too many Power Mac motherboard redesigns to count and launched a music player with a whole complimentary online music software business to boot.

They've even taken over the entire world of film and video, with some of the most sophisticated software ever to grace the planet.

How long can it possibly take to build a simple cocoa spreadsheet?

If Jobs doesn't announce a completed "successor to AppleWorks" at MWSF, he should be pelted with tomatoes.

Or even better, iPod accessories.

Agreed!

PS. Has anyone had a problem with the palettes in Pages and Keynote freezing up so that they can't be moved or closed? The only solution is to relaunch the app. I've had theis happen quite a few times.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    My biggest gripe with iWork is how it breaks one deeply rooted keyboard shortcut that I use. I constantly invoke Command + < (or >) to cycle through open windows in my frontmost application, which is the way every other Mac app that I use works and clearly how God intended it to be. But both Pages and Keynote have replaced the meaning of this keyboard command to mean zoom-out and zoom-in respectively. This is infuriating, not to mention confusing! Yes, I have filed a bug-report on it and my hope is that others will do this aswell.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

I do not think the standard edition will be included with more wizards because it costs $299.00 for a full copy and $179.00 for an upgrade, but I can see them using the database engine and creating a new user interface.

And thus the alternative could be simply a nice GUI front end to the existing Coredata which is included with MacOS X already.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nautical

My biggest gripe with iWork is how it breaks one deeply rooted keyboard shortcut that I use. I constantly invoke Command + < (or >) to cycle through open windows in my frontmost application, which is the way every other Mac app that I use works and clearly how God intended it to be. But both Pages and Keynote have replaced the meaning of this keyboard command to mean zoom-out and zoom-in respectively. This is infuriating, not to mention confusing! Yes, I have filed a bug-report on it and my hope is that others will do this aswell.

Command + ~
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Command + ~

On my Powerbook keyboard the standard shortcut for that action is Command + < and nothing else. Perhaps you have a different layout or something. But what you call it is beside the point, since what matters is that Apple changed a standardized keyboard command in two applications and broke the consistency with it's other applications. Bad Apple!
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:

On my Powerbook keyboard the standard shortcut for that action is Command + < and nothing else. Perhaps you have a different layout or something. But what you call it is beside the point, since what matters is that Apple changed a standardized keyboard command in two applications and broke the consistency with it's other applications. Bad Apple!

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. Command + ~ cycles through open windows within an application.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. Command + ~ cycles through open windows within an application.

I gotta agree with midwinter here. I've never even used this other supposed windown cycling command.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    The only thing I can think of is that maybe command + ~ is only a shortcut on US keyboard layouts.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Perhaps you have a different layout or something. But what you call it is beside the point, since what matters is that Apple changed a standardized keyboard command in two applications and broke the consistency with it's other applications.[/B]

Cycling windows is Cmd-` / Cmd-~ on English layouts and Cmd-< / Cmd-> on German layouts. The Pages localization team should have remembered that and fittingly changed the Zoom shortcut for German Pages to fit. Apple US is not to blame.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Cycling windows is Cmd-` / Cmd-~ on English layouts and Cmd-< / Cmd-> on German layouts. The Pages localization team should have remembered that and fittingly changed the Zoom shortcut for German Pages to fit. Apple US is not to blame.

And that explains it.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't understand.

We're just over 40 days out from the expected release of iWork '06.

And MacMinute runs this news item.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:

I don't understand.

WTF?
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:

I don't understand.

Oops...I guess the author and publisher won't be getting much money on that book.