Why wasn't this the iTunes phone?...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    How many buttons does a modern mobile phone have? 16, 20?

When the iPhone eventually appears I don't believe it will have any physical controls at all.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Steve: 'There are more phones yet to roll out,' he says with a sly smile, adding, 'Cingular has been great to work with.'"

What is this from?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Apple should get a the Shuffle version of the iPhone out. No display and it calls a random number in your phone directory every time.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Motorola telephones are SHIT.

They really are.

It's not just a question of 'Well, it's what you're used to.'

No, they're just not really very good.

Apart from that super-sleek new clamshell thing. That looks super cute.

But if it utilises the standard Motorola UI paradigm and you're used to the intelligence of a SonyEricsson or the simplicity of a Nokia, it's probable you'll still want to put it on 'buzz', insert it in a bull elephant's arse, release the elephant in the lobby of the building housing the Motorola design time and leave yourself half a dozen messages.

My last Motorola was by some distance the most annoying telephone I've ever owned.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Apple should get a the Shuffle version of the iPhone out. No display and it calls a random number in your phone directory every time.

This is very funny.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Steve says all calls will be 99¢; the telcos go mental...
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Totally agree.

I think it's some kind of cultural thing. Motorola seem to know that those funny Europeans like texting, taking pictures and even playing with various media on their phones so they add them but badly since those kinds of things just aren't popular in the USA - especially texting. I had a StarTac back in the day and it was one of the most annoying phones I've ever had despite it's indestructible military styling. That wasn't so bad when all you wanted to do was dial numbers. The address book was the most cryptic UI I've ever come across though.

When I went to replace it, I got a Nokia and couldn't believe how far advanced it was. Since then I've had a couple more Nokias before getting an SE T610 (slow UI but perfect) and now a p910i (bulky but does everything I want - I needed ssh and a browser built in). I ditched Nokia only because their bluetooth support was poor and they'd added an extra step in replying to SMS that I found annoying on the 6310i.

Last year I was due an upgrade (to replace the T610) and thought I'd try out a RAZr only to find they just still haven't got it yet. Way too many button clicks to do the simple basic functions you do everyday ie.

1) lookup name in addressbook and dial

2) Send a text message

3) Reply to a text message

Apart from that, it didn't sync with my Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. While SE and Nokia may have better UIs, they don't have better reception in my experience. My V600 consistently gets better reception than all of my friends' phones. I get signals in places they don't, and the reception clarity is outstanding. Also, the UI isn't really that bad. Sure others may be better, but I'll trade a slightly inferior UI for a phone that uhhhh works like a phone.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. While SE and Nokia may have better UIs, they don't have better reception in my experience. My V600 consistently gets better reception than all of my friends' phones. I get signals in places they don't, and the reception clarity is outstanding. Also, the UI isn't really that bad. Sure others may be better, but I'll trade a slightly inferior UI for a phone that uhhhh works like a phone.

Again, I think this is something we don't really care about in Europe where we have much denser populations and wider coverage. Signal strength just isn't an issue for most people here. And we're all on the same GSM digital networks and have been since the mid 90s so 'clarity' hasn't been an issue for a decade. Furthermore we've none of the interoperability problems the US has so features like SMS and MMSing friends on other networks isn't a question, and have meant that usage is quite different.

So, bearing in mind that the actual networks are rarely an issue any more, it comes down to phone features rather than signal strength where we're uber critical. And that's not Moto's strength. They're also behind on bluetooth. Everyone is bluetooth mad here after it was made law to not drive with your phone in your hand. You see some complete Nathans wandering about talking to apparently nobody. ;-)

Phone companies here literally give away phones sometimes. My SE p910i was totally FREE with a years contract. I've not 'bought' a phone for 5 years. On the minus side, nobody here does the unlimited data packages you can get in the US and that's highly annoying.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

But if it utilises the standard Motorola UI paradigm and you're used to the intelligence of a SonyEricsson or the simplicity of a Nokia, it's probable you'll still want to put it on 'buzz', insert it in a bull elephant's arse, release the elephant in the lobby of the building housing the Motorola design time and leave yourself half a dozen messages.

The Big Lebowsky #2

The dude goes mobile....
  • Reply 31 of 33
    As much as I liked my Sony Ericsson, at least my RAZR hasn't crashed yet. And while the UI was better, that stupid micro-joystick is absurd. Also, the RAZR doesn't feel as sluggish as the SE did.

Bottom line, from a UI standpoint, they both suck. I got the RAZR because it was bluetooth, quad band, and not a smartphone.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    well i juss figured id give my 2 cents cuz im very much the phone whore. the W800 is next years phone and the rokr E1 is 2000's model LoL cant even compare them. the new SE phones have great reception. also someone said about a nokia takin alot of step to go on silent. ive have a drawr full of nokias and it only takes one button for silent [power then silent and ok] how easy is that?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by shady104

well i juss figured id give my 2 cents cuz im very much the phone whore. the W800 is next years phone and the rokr E1 is 2000's model LoL cant even compare them. the new SE phones have great reception. also someone said about a nokia takin alot of step to go on silent. ive have a drawr full of nokias and it only takes one button for silent [power then silent and ok] how easy is that?

Can you count? Thats three buttons you just said. Power + down key + ok (plus most likely lock keys (2 more buttons)) as nokias are generally the 'candybar' design rather than 'clamshell' design