Apple media event to kick-off tomorrow at noon

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer is scheduled to host a special media event tomorrow afternoon on Manhattan's west side, the third such event in less than six weeks.

According to sources, the Mac maker will utilize a small conference room inside the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center to unveil its latest professional Macintosh products. The event is slated to begin at 12:00pm eastern time.

In a digital invitation sent to the media late last week, Apple said: "Please join us for a special press conference on the eve of PhotoPlus Expo 2005 as we unveil Apple's latest pro innovations."

The invitation is jet black and sports a large camera lens as a teaser. Earlier reports had hinted that a significant photography-related announcement would accompany the introduction of new PowerBooks and dual-core Power Macs at the event.

PhotoPlus Expo is also being held inside the Javits Center, running from October 20th through the 22nd.

Earlier this week Apple's 15-inch and 17-inch PowerBook G4 models saw lead times extended to 3 to 5 business days at the company's online store. Likewise, all Power Mac G5 models are also showing increased wait times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Powerbooks! Finally!

*prays for 1920x1200*

(1st!)

addendum: It'll also be interesting where this alleged photo app is positioned.

Whether it's at the Photoshop-lite level or directly in competition with Photoshop.

My guess is that it will be focused on photography manipulation and less on production photo-quality or pixel-based artwork.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    My guess is that it will be pro-level iPhoto. A way of managing your photo/art.

Something Photoshop is surprisingly poor at.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Just spoke to a mate who has signed an apple nda, we're in for more disappointment I'm afraid. Minor speedbumps, bigger HDs on the PBs, nothing else sorry. Pretty-much just speed-bumps on the PMs as well, nothing of any real interest. Sorry. Guess they're holding all the cool stuff back for the intels
  • Reply 4 of 54
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    All I'm lookin for the Powerbook is a higher screen res.

if they don't upgrade that . . . I don't know what I'll do . . .

Probably die of sadness.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    iPhoto Pro to Photoshop as Motion is to After Effects, but not as Final Cut is to Premiére
  • Reply 6 of 54
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

iPhoto Pro to Photoshop as Motion is to After Effects, but not as Final Cut is to Premiére

Well put.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

Just spoke to a mate who has signed an apple nda, we're in for more disappointment I'm afraid. Minor speedbumps, bigger HDs on the PBs, nothing else sorry. Pretty-much just speed-bumps on the PMs as well, nothing of any real interest. Sorry. Guess they're holding all the cool stuff back for the intels

Hmm... hard to believe Apple would waste precious media time on incremental updates. If it was minor updates, why not just do it like they've done past minor updates, Apple website and press release? Otherwise, Apple will fall prey to crying wolf syndrome.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    It's gonna be the Vingle creative community =) That's why .mac sucks balls as they've been working on that more. Just a thought. HD based digital camera? meh.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    agreed,

They wouldn't waste their time and press exposure if it is just a minor thing.

Dual-core PM

Small speed bump PB with better screens and larger hard drive.

Front Row for PM and PB

Iphoto pro version

new Cinema displays specs(price drops?) / larger than 30" display

Isight built-in on cinema displays
  • Reply 10 of 54
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    It's possible the event will focus on new/updated software, with any lackluster hardware updates done in the background (e.g. just announced on Apple's web site).
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

agreed,

They wouldn't waste their time and press exposure if it is just a minor thing.

Dual-core PM

Small speed bump PB with better screens and larger hard drive.

Front Row for PM and PB

Iphoto pro version

new Cinema displays specs(price drops?) / larger than 30" display

Isight built-in on cinema displays

they would never build isight into the cinema displays. webcams are not a pro feature, pros generally have their own equipment to deal with photography. I could see them release a new-spec iSight though, as the imac camera currently has better specs than the isight
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

Powerbooks! Finally!

*prays for 1920x1200*

1920x1200 is just right on a 23 or 24" screen... on a 17" it's just too damn small! Okay, not saying they won't have that option in there, but I for one would never consider buying it.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_snitch

they would never build isight into the cinema displays. webcams are not a pro feature, pros generally have their own equipment to deal with photography. I could see them release a new-spec iSight though, as the imac camera currently has better specs than the isight

Never say never! you might eat your own words tomorrow!

Apple wants to push ichat AV, that's why they did with the Imac. I think the same can be done for the displays to put the professionals on the same page. The camera is very subtle and elegant and would not distract the beauty of the current displays. It could be an option IMHO. some displays could have it others don't, so you don't end up with 2 cameras with you have dual monitors.

Also Ichat AV/Isight is a great tool for a professional that works remotely. I use it a lot with the companies that I work with. It's a great tool.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_snitch

iSight HD (960x720? or 1280x720!?) Hmm. I'd buy that mighty quick, but I seriously doubt those CCDs are affordable just yet.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Actually, my mom works for Apple and she said that they're holding the press event to show the Eminem commercial again.

But seriously, this is a "smoke em' if you got em' moment" for Apple...

Anything closer to the Intel Mac release era would be forgotten.

• Reply 16 of 54
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    what would a "pro iphoto" have that iphoto doesnt? if it is just photo management, iphoto is great. the only thing i can see is giving it a pro interface.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It's cool how Apple has a "secret" booth (real booth, not the hall for the noon event) at the photo Expo. Have they ever done that before, had a whole big both yet kept their name off the exhibitors list for an event?

Re iSight in pro displays... probably not--but Apple doesn't see videoconferencing as consumer-only, I'm sure. In fact, a business LAN is the perfect home for iChat AV + Bonjour.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

what would a "pro iphoto" have that iphoto doesnt?

Thinner window title bars

(And more seriously... I suppose it needs faster performance for big libraries, but that would benefit anyone with a huge library, not just pros.)

I wouldn't mind seeing rapid image tweaking via Core Image--an example I hope Adobe will follow with the next (Intel?) PotoShop!

But I'm not a pro photographer.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    twotwo Posts: 17member
    PS3 running OSX with built-in iSight and blu-ray drive!

it could happen
  • Reply 20 of 54
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

Powerbooks! Finally!

*prays for 1920x1200*

From http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...endations.html :

Quote:

For 1920x1080 (1080p) video at 24 frames per second:

QuickTime 7 for Mac OS X:

* Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 or faster Macintosh computer