New Macs running 10.4.2, 10.4.3 due soon, more...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by bigmig

I am guessing it will not. Running Q2DE on 10.4.2 (enabled via Quartz Debug), I have yet to see a performance gain for any app, but I have noticed some significant slowdowns (e.g., animation for opening/closing formatting panes in Excel gets all slow when you enable Q2DE). So unless it somehow works much better than in 10.4.2, I doubt they will enable it, because right now for most people there is only downside and no upside.

Also the javascript text manipulation tests and UI tests for Safari run about 30 times slower with Q2DE enabled on my iMac. It's faster at pretty much everything other than text and UI controls. Since most of the time I'm manipulating text and the UI, enabling it would be a bad thing.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    anyone here knows if i could just swap the screens on my pb to the newer ones?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

The dual 2.7GHz tower is LIQUID (not water) cooled, as was the previous dual 2.5GHz model.

Isn't the liquid mostly water?
  • Reply 24 of 78
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Someone answer ir speculate on this....

QE2D was a big thing in Tiger's review pn Arz Tech, but has been absent for nearly 6 months....

Well, I don't think QE2D was ever a promised feature. It was probably worked on and stuff during development, but then at some point it was determined that the gain wasn't worth the cost/effort/etc. That's the whole problem with making forward looking statements regarding the 'next' release of anything. You never know until you get into it whether its actually feasible (like 3GHz chips!).

Of course, why people are so het up about some unreleased feature that, when enabled, has caused people issues and the like, rather then getting excited about Apple maybe solving some of their long-term existing problems, like interface inconsistencies, SBOD doing simple things in the Finder (like how hard is it to thread each freakin' window/action???), that kind of crap.

But no, people want something else new added in to cause even more problems...
  • Reply 25 of 78
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Also dependent on the age and use of your battery.

As you discharge and recharge your battery, over time it losses its ability to charge as much.

There is a battery app called CoconutBattery.

This app will let you know how old your battery is, how many recharge cycles it has gone through, your battery's original full charge and its current charge.

That is an awsome application! thanks for the heads up; now I know how old my computer is as well
  • Reply 26 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    quote:

Originally posted by bigmig

I am guessing it will not. Running Q2DE on 10.4.2 (enabled via Quartz Debug), I have yet to see a performance gain for any app, but I have noticed some significant slowdowns (e.g., animation for opening/closing formatting panes in Excel gets all slow when you enable Q2DE). So unless it somehow works much better than in 10.4.2, I doubt they will enable it, because right now for most people there is only downside and no upside.

Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Also the javascript text manipulation tests and UI tests for Safari run about 30 times slower with Q2DE enabled on my iMac. It's faster at pretty much everything other than text and UI controls. Since most of the time I'm manipulating text and the UI, enabling it would be a bad thing.

Of course that's one of the reasons why it isn't turned on. It isn't ready. Any reason to expect that it will work?

Anyway, other have reported large speedups in certain operations with some apps, though it does crash.

Don't judge until Apple releases it officially.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by BMWintoxication

anyone here knows if i could just swap the screens on my pb to the newer ones?

Yes. No.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Isn't the liquid mostly water?

Mostly.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

[B]Well, I don't think QE2D was ever a promised feature.

Yes it was. A quartz guy at apple said in a conference (at the WWDC 2004) that Q2DX would be enabled by default in tiger.

The low level benchmarcks were promising. \
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

One thing that's cool that's been reported by MacBidouille is the new 'Safe Sleep' feature for the new PowerBooks (or every PowerBook in general?) which apparently saves the memory to disk in case the laptop's battery is completely drained.

Now that's cool. Been waiting for that 'hibernate' option for a long while. I hope they build it into OS for PowerMacs too - as an option for powering off - so when you reboot you get your session back as you left it - just incase you don't want to leave it on standby - a la Windows.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 31 of 78
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Well, I don't think QE2D was ever a promised feature. It was probably worked on and stuff during development, but then at some point it was determined that the gain wasn't worth the cost/effort/etc.

Not only it was a promised feature, but there was a talk in WWDC 2004 showing preliminary benchmark results. I will not tell you what exactly, just to not ruin the suspense , sot go here and advance to 23 min. And you will see.

Apparently, something went terribly wrong in the meantime. The talk was almost one year and a half back.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Apparently, something went terribly wrong in the meantime. The talk was almost one year and a half back.

So, what happened?!?!?
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Question regarding: QE2D...

When you use the Quartz Debug tool can you enable QE2D?

What happens when you do?

My graphics card doesn't support QE2D it seems.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 34 of 78
    I'm getting a new Mac and I want to know which cards will support QE2D. Is there a list somewhere? One that have support for the ARB_fragment_program OpenGL extension. Do all current graphics cards in new PowerMacs fit the bill?

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by dahacouk

So, what happened?!?!?

I don't know. From the reports of those who enabled Q2DExtreme, it seems that some serious bugs showed up later in the development, or there was some miscalculation as to what this technology is capable for. Perhaps a combination of the two. As I said I don't know, I am just guessing.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by dahacouk

I'm getting a new Mac and I want to know which cards will support QE2D. Is there a list somewhere? One that have support for the ARB_fragment_program OpenGL extension. Do all current graphics cards in new PowerMacs fit the bill?

Cheers Daniel

Daniel, after the last summer's updates, all Macs except the Mac mini have appropriate hardware support for QE2D and related technologies (Core Image/Core Video). The mini will send the load to the Altivec unit, I suppose. This is what happens anyway with Core Image, that has the same GPU requirements as QE2D. A non-exhaustive list of such video chips is here.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    JUST MAKE PREVIEW 3 TO WHERE YOU CAN SEE PDFS DOCUMENTS & pics FULL SCREEN LIKE IT WAS IN PANTHER WITHOUT A GEE DEE SLIDE SHOW STARTING UP!!! although i love book mode... "old scanned comics anyone"?

thats all i ask... from the Tiger updates and make it speedy!!!
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

JUST MAKE PREVIEW 3 TO WHERE YOU CAN SEE PDFS DOCUMENTS & pics FULL SCREEN LIKE IT WAS IN PANTHER WITHOUT A GEE DEE SLIDE SHOW STARTING UP!!! although i love book mode... "old scanned comics anyone"?

thats all i ask... from the Tiger updates and make it speedy!!!

Somebody needs a chill pill
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Two questions: what are the odds 10.4.3 will include full Mighty Mouse support, unlike previous versions which needed it installed from the driver cd?

And on a dual cpu 2.5GHz G5, Activity Monitor (useful little system utility) runs with two cpu traces in its dock icon, stacked vertically. How are they going to lay out four of them for the G5 Quad? Or do dual cores not get their own charts...

Not exactly earth shattering questions! ;-)
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

Two questions: what are the odds 10.4.3 will include full Mighty Mouse support, unlike previous versions which needed it installed from the driver cd?

And on a dual cpu 2.5GHz G5, Activity Monitor (useful little system utility) runs with two cpu traces in its dock icon, stacked vertically. How are they going to lay out four of them for the G5 Quad? Or do dual cores not get their own charts...

Not exactly earth shattering questions! ;-)

Not really, and therer are no earth shattering answers.

Not that it matters, but .3 will most likely have MM support. It's not a big thing.

I would guess they would have support for four cores. No reason why not. They might link each chip togethet, but good guessing.