7800 GT is here but..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I posted this over on current hardware, but this is really a "future" topic -

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/NVI...T_Graphics.pdf

http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

The latter is now saying "Available soon" in the 7800 GT box. The first link claims the 7800 GT will become available next month.

Waiting for it...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jedhajedha Posts: 24member
    Nah.. I dont think so.. they updated it recently
  • Reply 2 of 27
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Depends on who you believe. I read that they will NOT be offering the 7800 and that's why they dropped it.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Well, all other things being equal I believe the Apple website. They might change it, but my guess is that regardless of whether they do the 7800 will eventually become an option. There are either compatibility issues or supply problems, and both of those can be fixed.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Note that it's the 7800GT, not the GTX being offered. This is excellent. They have went for the sweet spot in price/performance instead of pushing the 5% faster 100$ more expensive thing as the graphics card manufacturers sometimes have in the past. Pros who want more power than the GT will get the Quadro. I think there is still space for a mid-range card if ATi wants to come out with one. From current lineup, X800XL would be the most obvious.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    I just checked the apple site and it now shows the 7800 GT available but it does put back the shipping date from 3-4 weeks to 6-8 weeks. Expected I guess..they don't want us to put off our purchases by making us think that it is a no go.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Any time you change the standard bare bone configuration it takes longer. These computers come on a first come first served basis. The only thing ready to ship is probably the standard configuration. The BTO configuration parts need to be installed. They have a lot of computers moving through there right now, and there are many BTO's for them to configure and test before shipping.

Good News about the 7800 GT though. Thanks for the heads up. BTW, Price is Add $350.00 to your order. Not bad.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    $420 for Canadians..any idea what the card would/will cost if you buy it from a retail store? PC prices aside
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Call them. I don't think they'll have it in stock just yet though. It'll probably be a few months before demand goes down. But I guess it depends on how many people are ordering it, and what the supply level looks like.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I did..no one knows what's going on..I thought that maybe people from parts unknown might have some insight that I don't $420 sounds ok though
  • Reply 10 of 27
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    My BTO took a whole 2 days to ship. It;'s the 7800, not the BTO that causes this delay.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

My BTO took a whole 2 days to ship. It;'s the 7800, not the BTO that causes this delay.

That also depends on when you ordered, and how backed up they were at the time. How many BTO's did they have ahead of yours at that time? Orders from the first week, or so would probably get out much faster. That's not to say that the 7800 couldn't have anything to do with it mind you, but the earlier you order the less delay you are going to have.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    it's here?

Races to Apple store to check it out!

lemon Bon bon
  • Reply 13 of 27
    just an fyi, i changed my order and it has delayed the shipping by more than a month. i'm willing to wait because i'll probably use this machine for a while, but just thought everyone should know. my shipping is now on or before 12/23 and it was on or before 11/17 earlier.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    $350 US.

That's got to be about £250-ish. In Pounds.

That's pretty impressive.

For Apple.

It's not at the UK Apple store yet...sigh...

My rig is going to cost about £5200 by the look of it... ouch.

£3k just for Quad with 4 gig of Ram. 1/2 terrabyte of HD. Then 30 incher. 1,700. Then GT £300. Ouch.

Then upgrade to Final Cut Studio...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 15 of 27
    The 7800 GT is now listed at the Apple store as a PM option. Selecting it brings up an estimated ship date of 6-8 weeks.

Thank you, Apple! We just wanted some more information. An earlier ship would have been nicer, but ... I'm buying.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

It's not at the UK Apple store yet...sigh...

Lemon Bon Bon,

Please hold off on your order so the rest of us can get ours in there first.

Thank you!

p.s. re: $$, well, you are red-lining the options list, yes?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    To be honest...I may wait until the San Fran Keynote. For iLife 06...

No. I'll get it before Christmas if I can.

I'm just waiting for the GT to go UK Live.

And no. I'm not waiting for my order so you guys can get yours in first.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

To be honest...I may wait until the San Fran Keynote. For iLife 06...

No. I'll get it before Christmas if I can.

I'm just waiting for the GT to go UK Live.

And no. I'm not waiting for my order so you guys can get yours in first.

Lemon Bon Bon

Look again. The 7800 has gone missing as of right now.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    No it's actually been removed again.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Moved and merged with the thread in current hardware. No reason to have two threads about exactly the same...