Perpetual Mozilla 1.0 Thread

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to the latest tree management update

<a href="http://mozilla.org/roadmap.html"; target="_blank">http://mozilla.org/roadmap.html</a>;

we should have 0.9.9 sometime within the next week or so, and then 1.0 sometime in early April. Talk about a long-strange road! It's hard for me to even remember when this project started out. I can remember when people said it would "die" because it didn't finish when expected, and so IE had won.

nOOT! (I made that up, btw. )

Mozilla 1.0 is going to be an excellent alternative to IE, and for the time being more standards compliant than any other browser out there. Faster than all but this new Chimera thing from what I hear, but even there only marginally slower. I'm anxious to give Mozilla 1.0 a try, based on how solid .9.8 is.

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    n00t! I like that!

Mozilla also uses your old Netscape plugins like flash and such.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I'm using it under Linux and it's cool. Very fast. The unix goodness doesn't make the thing "hang" like IE in OS 9. I'm digging it.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Moz r0x0rs. :cool:

And FYI, Moz and Chimera are the same "speed" when it comes to rendering pages (because they use the same Gecko engine), but Chimera's Cocoa interface is faster and more responsive than Moz's XUL-based interface.

Posted with Chimera 0.1.3.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Hey Scott, how is your linux imac? You never posted when you got it installed. Everything went w/out a hitch?

AFA Xfree86, is it snappy, or sluggish? I'm wondering because on my machine it defaulted to a generic driver, instead of the proper ati driver. I'm curious if it always does that. Is video as fast as OS9?

Are you using the default KDE desktop?

Do you have java working in mozilla?

ln -s /usr/lib/jre/lib/ppc/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

should get it working if you don't.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 30
    foamyfoamy Posts: 55member
    [quote] And FYI, Moz and Chimera are the same "speed" when it comes to rendering pages

<hr></blockquote>

A small clarification. Mozilla-macho and Chimera are the same speed when rendering pages, but the carbon version of Mozilla is notably slower than both.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    You can still download Mozilla-macho?

the link i have bookmarked doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have a new link?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    Nah something is messed up with the Maco version, it's a &lt; 2mb downloadable library of some sort.

Anyway, I like mozilla, but I wish I could just download the web browser itself, not the whole communicator package.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Hey Scott, how is your linux imac? You never posted when you got it installed. Everything went w/out a hitch?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I posted in another thread. I had a little trouble with the install. THe rev a-d iMacs have a problem where all bootable partitions have to be in the first 6 gigs. It's a problem with Mac OS or OS X it not a linux problem. So I set up 2 gigs for Mac OS, 3 for Linux and then a large HFS partition and a large ext2 partition. It works well.

[quote]

<strong>AFA Xfree86, is it snappy, or sluggish? I'm wondering because on my machine it defaulted to a generic driver, instead of the proper ati driver. I'm curious if it always does that. Is video as fast as OS9?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The video seems fine but I haven't done much with it yet. I haven't even looked at an mpeg or anything like that. BUT I don't get that pause when I switch between windows like OS X

[quote]

<strong>Are you using the default KDE desktop?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup.

[quote]

<strong>Do you have java working in mozilla?

ln -s /usr/lib/jre/lib/ppc/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

should get it working if you don't.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll try that.

I like it though. I have all my "old" unix tools I like. I've downloaded a few software distros and they have compiled and installed with little trouble. It's cool. It works.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Great to hear you got it up and working, Scott!

The (main) reason I'm not using OSX is similar to your harddisk shenanigans; OSX has to be installed entirely on the first 8 gigs of my harddrive, but I have linux on the first 4.5 gigs, a 650 MB mac partition (too small for OSX), followed by a 6GB HFS+ part, which of course isn't entirely on the first 8 GBs. *sigh*

Oh well, OSX would crawl on this machine anyway, and I'm not really jonesing for it.

BTW, if you are on dial up, there's software out there that blocks banner ads, greatly speeding up your surfing. Like right now, for me, there are no banners to be seen on AI boards, mac news/rumor sites, etc etc. I use <a href="http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/ppc/junkbuster-2.9.10-1.ppc.html"; target="_blank">junkbuster</a>, though there are others.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 30
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>

Anyway, I like mozilla, but I wish I could just download the web browser itself, not the whole communicator package.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you tried Chimera? it's just a browesr, built with Cocoa, and it's insanely fast. The current build is the third dev build, but i'm already using it as my main browser. Try it out: <a href="http://chimera.mozdev.org"; target="_blank">http://chimera.mozdev.org</a>;

-robo
  • Reply 11 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    A couple comments on Chimera:

1. It is *really* feature-sparse at this stage of development. No preferences, no real bookmark management, minimal interface management.

2. Because of #1, I couldn't even conceive of using it as my main browser. You'd have to type in every URL, every time you use it for one thing. It's basically just Gecko with some GUI widgets attached to it.

3. I'll be excited to try out a real build sometime in the coming months, when most of the functionality is there. Then we'll see how responsive it is. As it stands now, how could it *not* be responsive? It's a browser engine sitting behind some buttons and a window. Of course it's going to be fast.

• Reply 12 of 30
    *bump*

Mozilla .9.9 may come out in the next day or so - should be good.

Another reason why Mozilla kicks IE's *** - the ability to tell the browser to NOT let any script open a new window - i.e. no annoying f*cking advertisements in pop-up windows. GOD i hate those things! At .9.9 I'm going to make the final switch, just to make the statement that a Mozilla beta product is better than a polished MS product.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 30
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>

Have you tried Chimera? it's just a browesr, built with Cocoa, and it's insanely fast. The current build is the third dev build, but i'm already using it as my main browser. Try it out: <a href="http://chimera.mozdev.org"; target="_blank">http://chimera.mozdev.org</a>;

-robo</strong><hr></blockquote>

I did try it out, but it's too young. It has no preferences. It has nothing. I'm wondering why there haven't been any releases since 2/24 though.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Something has gone haywire with the "official" builds. If you want a Mach-O version of Mozilla, you should build it yourself with a custom .mozconfig file. Here's what I use: [quote]export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1 BUILD_OFFICIAL=1

ac_add_options --enable-xterm-updates

ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,-inspector,irc,transformiix

ac_add_options --disable-debug

ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O3

ac_add_options --disable-test

ac_add_options --enable-strip-libs

ac_add_options --enable-strip-libraries

ac_add_options --with-pthreads

ac_add_options --enable-p3p

ac_add_options --enable-xsl

ac_add_options --enable-mathml

ac_add_options --enable-crash-on-assert<hr></blockquote>Or you can download it from someone who builds it regularly like <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/risc_abacus/"; target="_blank">this guy</a>.

Keep in mind, though, that many of the keyboard shortcuts aren't working properly. For example, to go "back" you use control-leftarrow instead of command-leftarrow. You should be able to figure it out with some basic experimentation.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Mozilla 0.9.9 is out. As soon as there's a Linux PPC rpm I'll grab it. It looks like some good stuff. One nice thing is the suppression of java pop ups that don't come from a mouse click.

<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/releases/"; target="_blank">http://www.mozilla.org/releases/</a>;
  • Reply 16 of 30
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Admittedly, Chimera is bare bones. I keep it open alongside Mozilla like a little two seater roadster. If i want to zip around the forums, or do some quick browsing, i'll use Chimera. It's much faster than Carbon Mozilla 0.99. For more critical stuff (online application forms, for example) i use regular Mozilla. Slow, but pretty reliable.

-robo
  • Reply 17 of 30
    .9.9 is pretty slick. Browsing with it now. Admittedly it's hard to tell teh difference between .9.8 except that you know there are more bugs that have been squashed, etc. And the new IRC chat thingy has been implemented (as has SOAP, whatever the hell that does).

: )
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Is it me or does the test look sooooo much better on 0.9.9 than the last releases?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    You mean one of the Viewer Demos or Tests under the Debug menu? I was tinkering around with the CSS one and a couple others, but the compliance has been there for a while, so nothing looks different to me.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    "Perpetual Mozilla 1.0 Thread"...yes...perpetual because it'll never be finished...but I thought I'd just say that...you can continue...