Perpetual Mozilla 1.0 Thread

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>"Perpetual Mozilla 1.0 Thread"...yes...perpetual because it'll never be finished...but I thought I'd just say that...you can continue... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, 1.0 is expected within a month or two.

And anyway, Mozilla is currently more 'finished' than IE 5 on OS X...

-robo
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Here's an odd one. I downloaded and tried to compile 0.9.9 on my SGI today. The download was 35MB and the src directory was 300MB. That seemed strange. "cc" is effed up on my system so the ./configure failed.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Heck, mozilla is more finished than OSX...

AFA irix, yeah, compiles are a bitch i gather. It's not Moz specific.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Can anyone post the process of replacing the standard Mozilla throbber? Is it part of the overall theme (the classic.jar file), or can you mix and match said file with custom throbbers. I found a cool skin to replace the two the ship with Mozilla, but I can't seem to replace the goofy throbber that comes with said skin...blows goats.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=37&t=002309"; target="_blank">http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=37&t=002309</a>;

Just found an interesting thread regarding my above comment - seems someone was asking the same question, but no answer as of yet. Check out about half way downthe thread...one guy has a screenshot of an awesome Mozilla Dock icon. If you have Iconographer you can download said icon here:

<a href="http://www.iheartny.com/xicons/index3.html"; target="_blank">http://www.iheartny.com/xicons/index3.html</a>;

and then unstuff the file, open it in Iconographer, copy the icon and mask...

...then open the package contents of Mozilla by right-clicking on the app icon in the Finder. Go to contents/resources and you'll find a cryptic file called 128.icns - this is the big ugly M that's in your Dock. Open that in Iconographer. In the main window, select all and then delete it. Paste in the Icon and Mask from before and save. Voila!

Have fun!

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 30
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I dunno about all you guys but Mozilla 'unexpectedly quits' on me all the time. I usually start out using it, but then after it quits, I resort to Explorer... its slower, but more stable.

Also I find that Moz has rendering problems on many corporate sites that are Windows centric.

At an intranet I access sometimes, nothing works on any browser (Opera, iCab, Moz, Explorer). No links appear, just some basic pictures and stuff. They said they had never tried it with Macs in mind... but damn, for an intranet page not to display even basic things like links?

Guess Ill have to try with VPC.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    No problems here so far. The only corporate sites I've visited are CDW.com, Adobe.com, Apple.com, Abbott.com and Baxter.com

They all worked pretty well to this point. Maybe try reinstalling / trashing your old Mozilla prefs folder, etc? The intranet stuff is probably because somebody wanted to design it for IE only....
  • Reply 28 of 30
    hmmm, suppose this is as good a place as any.

PB 266 128/4 8.6

running Mozilla 0.9.9 (giving it 40 megs)

scrolling is incredibly slow. i've tried just about everything to speed it up with no effect. Opera, iCab and IE all scroll just fine.

it's kind of a bummer, because Mozilla is otherwise a great piece of software. any ideas?

-----

rentedmule
  • Reply 29 of 30
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    More ram couldn't hurt (try allocating 60 MB), but beyond that, no idea.

Moogs: I think the spinner is '.jar'ed so you'd maybe have to recompile. Digging through my mozilla libs turns up no likely .pngs.

Too bad it is something of a pain in the ass to change.

Do ya'll remember mozilla's old default chrome? Man that was fugly! Mozilla's creamy blue subdued interface is much more tasteful.

BTW, type

about:mozilla

into the location bar. It's kinda funny.

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Stimuli: that's the conclusion I was force to as well. You can change the Dock icon, but not the throbber/spinner without a full theme change. No mixing and matching unfortunately. Maybe I'll check back to that MacNN thread and see if anyone changed it.

BTW, I agree that about:mozilla page is pretty humorous. I see very good things for Mozilla in the coming 12-18 months. Namely, winning a ton of market share. You're talking 10 platforms, ALL with identical layout capabilities - THAT's an incentive for web designers if there ever was one.

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>