Opera 9.0 (8.5 too)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I really like Opera 9.0, much better than Safari. What I don't like about is the Wand password manager. OK, I guess it is fine, but, I have not figured out how to retrieve the password should when I need for another app or just want to know what the password is.

At least with the keychain, passwords can be retrieved.

Does anyone know how to retrieve the password from Opera? It seems the password button in the preferences tells which sites you have stored passwords for, but not the passwprd itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Sorry for double post, but I wasn't finished.

The reason I have begun using Opera, is because I cannot get Safari to work with CitiBank's business website. I can't get Firefox to work with weather.com. I really want to use Safari, but it will occasionally not dispplay sites correctly.

Opera is the only browser that works with everything I am doing, just hate the wand.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

Sorry for double post, but I wasn't finished.

The reason I have begun using Opera, is because I cannot get Safari to work with CitiBank's business website. I can't get Firefox to work with weather.com. I really want to use Safari, but it will occasionally not dispplay sites correctly.

Opera is the only browser that works with everything I am doing, just hate the wand.

It would seem that you have some local issues. Firefox works fine with Weather.com as does Safari. I don't use Citibank's Internet banking feature, so that I cannot test that site.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Have you tried "Camino?" Camino is done by Mozilla.org, the same organization that does "Firefox." The difference is that Camino is specifically written for the Mac and OS X. I was using Firefox as my browser of choice until I discovered Camino . If interested, here it is:

Camino Browser for Mac OS X

I tend to use the 'test' or 'nightly' build versions - I enjoy living on the bleeding edge !
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Both firefox and camino have big question marks where quicktime plugins should be running.

I don't like the feel of Firefox at all but I do like camino.

Plus, I am getting tired of broshed metal. Appearently so is Apple, but for some reason safari still uses it.

Opera really is a nice browser, like searching without opening a new window, but I don't like its password manager.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

Both firefox and camino have big question marks where quicktime plugins should be running.

I don't like the feel of Firefox at all but I do like camino.

Plus, I am getting tired of broshed metal. Appearently so is Apple, but for some reason safari still uses it.

Opera really is a nice browser, like searching without opening a new window, but I don't like its password manager.

Could you share a site I could try, one with the question marks you described? I haven't observed that, but I'm running Camino Version 2005111304 (1.0b1+)? I went to this "Quick Time Plugin Test" site with my version of Camino and it worked? Here's the site I went to: Quick Time Plugin Test
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Opera 9.0???
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

Opera 9.0???

I saw that too, so I googled it and this is what I came up with: Opera 9.0 Preview 1
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I thought it was a typo!
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

I thought it was a typo!

Defintely NOT a typo, but now I'm curious - I'm totally content with Camino, but when something 'new' comes along, it's like an electro-magnet for me, I just "have" to check it out, you know ?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    It's definetly much much faster at loading and rendering. I've noticed a few quircks so far, but not too bad. I like it.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

It's definetly much much faster at loading and rendering. I've noticed a few quircks so far, but not too bad. I like it.

Same here, a 'few' quirks, but nothing I can't live with, so far 8). The 'wand' takes a little getting used to, which is what I believe "pbaker05" was originally referring to, but I adapted to it rather easily. The other really nice feature I like initially is the 'trash can!' I don't know about you, but on occasion, I have 'accidentally' closed a tab not intending to, Opera places it in the trash can for easy retrieval, very nice feature I think?! Of course, I suppose I could train myself to NOT accidentally close a tab \, as if that's going to happen ? Here's what my "About Opera" shows:

Version 9.0 \t

Build\t3104 \t

Platform MacOS X \t

System\t10.4.3

Oh! I like it too! Will have to 'play' with it some more before deciding if it will become my 'browser' of choice, replacing Camino, which doesn't have the quirks, and that I like a lot?!?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Well, I have Safari, Omniweb, Firefox, Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, and Camino. I don't know which one to use on a daily basis anymore!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Well, I have Safari, Omniweb, Firefox, Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, and Camino. I don't know which one to use on a daily basis anymore!

Hmm, I didn't see "iCab" in that list *ROTFL?!?* I had settled on "Camino," until I ran across this thread today \. Depending on the quirks and whether Opera works with my online banking or not, I will probably stay with "Camino," but I'm still 'testing' Opera, having said that though, this is a "preview" release?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

I really like Opera 9.0, much better than Safari. What I don't like about is the Wand password manager. OK, I guess it is fine, but, I have not figured out how to retrieve the password should when I need for another app or just want to know what the password is.

At least with the keychain, passwords can be retrieved.

Does anyone know how to retrieve the password from Opera? It seems the password button in the preferences tells which sites you have stored passwords for, but not the passwprd itself.

For me, it would be nice if the damn spell checker actually worked properly; 8.50, the whole thing is buggerised, hence the reason I'm still with Safari, and I occasionally flirt with Camino - which seems to be improving rapidly.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrSin

Hmm, I didn't see "iCab" in that list *ROTFL?!?* I had settled on "Camino," until I ran across this thread today \. Depending on the quirks and whether Opera works with my online banking or not, I will probably stay with "Camino," but I'm still 'testing' Opera, having said that though, this is a "preview" release?

iCab sucks! That's a HORRIBLE browser, dude!
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

The answer is "Shiira".
  • Reply 17 of 30
    That lasted less time on my drive than iCab did!
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Why? Beats the hell out of Safari.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Well, I must say that the new version of Shiira is pretty damn nice. They have come a long way since I used it last.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Okay, I'm using Shiira almost every time now. One question though, what is up with that red number in the Shiira icon in my dock? It looks like the number you see in Apple's mail app.