Humbling Exam

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I just got back from a full physical exam. Man that prostrate exam is humbling! The Doc had a female med student working with him today and I didn't argue when she stepped out for that part.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
  • Reply 2 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Ouch. On both the prostate and Gene's heartless mockery of your post.

While we're on humbling and sad shit, I got my PSP, Lumines, and a 1GB memory stick stolen yesterday because I was too stupid to put it in a locker.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Ouch. On both the prostate and Gene's heartless mockery of your post.

While we're on humbling and sad shit, I got my PSP, Lumines, and a 1GB memory stick stolen yesterday because I was too stupid to put it in a locker.

Heartless indeed!

Sorry about the loss Placebo
  • Reply 4 of 38
    It was a joke.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It was a joke.

Mine wasn't.

But luckily I have a band of friends promising to beat the shit out of the guy when we find him.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Female med student? Man, I'd be worried about getting a boner if she gave a physical...
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Mine wasn't.

But luckily I have a band of friends promising to beat the shit out of the guy when we find him.

• Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Female med student? Man, I'd be worried about getting a boner if she gave a physical...

It is a pretty compromised position Shawn. I think that would be the last think on your mind.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It was a joke.

• Reply 10 of 38
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Would that really be a concern while another man is probing your ass? If you get wood in that situation, then maybe it isn't the med student...
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

Would that really be a concern while another man is probing your ass? If you get wood in that situation, then maybe it isn't the med student...

As I said, it is a very compromising position
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Mine wasn't.

On the bright side, you'll probably be very careful in the future and won't allow something more critical to be stolen. Now, it's obviously entirely their fault, but my point is that it's better to have stolen a plaything if it's going to ensure that you'll be less likely to have stolen a work-thing in the future.

I had some friends in college who had their laptops stolen. Now that really sucks, especially if you don't religiously backup your files.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac on a Mac

I just got back from a full physical exam. Man that prostrate exam is humbling! The Doc had a female med student working with him today and I didn't argue when she stepped out for that part.

If there are two hands on your sholders, it isnt a prostate exam!

LOL
  • Reply 14 of 38
    OK, a_greer just made me spit out my coffee laughing.

I am almost 33. What are the most recent recommendations in terms of when you ought to start these exams? They aren't something I am looking forward to starting, but also want to make sure I am looking after things, health wise.

How long did the exam take? I mean, if it is quickie and he is in and out in under a minute, then fine, I will deal with that. But, if he is working in there for a while, I think I'd atleast like him to buy me dinner, maybe some flowers.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    It takes about 1 long minute. It really isn't that bad as long as you don't think about it too much.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If there are two hands on your sholders, it isnt a prostate exam!

LOL

• Reply 17 of 38
    besides, I bet the doctor doesn't like it much either... So it's a mutual relationship
  • Reply 18 of 38
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

besides, I bet the doctor doesn't like it much either... So it's a mutual relationship

Enh, to him you're just another living body that has functions to be checked. He doesn't take it personally and he's been in the business long enough to not be "weirded" out by it anymore.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

I am almost 33. What are the most recent recommendations in terms of when you ought to start these exams? They aren't something I am looking forward to starting, but also want to make sure I am looking after things, health wise.

I received my first prostate exam when I was around 30 as part of a physical. I've had two thus far and I'm only a couple years older than you.

Quote:

How long did the exam take? I mean, if it is quickie and he is in and out in under a minute, then fine, I will deal with that. But, if he is working in there for a while, I think I'd atleast like him to buy me dinner, maybe some flowers.

The examination itself only takes about 15 seconds at the most--not that big a deal. I'm sure if you were at risk or much older, the doc would have to spend a few more seconds examining the contours of the prostate gland.

Incidentally, I've had the first exam standing up (leaning a bit over the end of the examination bed) and the latter lying on my side. I hardly felt a thing for the second, so you may want to try that position out the first time you get "poked."
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

I received my first prostate exam when I was around 30 as part of a physical. I've had two thus far and I'm only a couple years older than you.

The examination itself only takes about 15 seconds at the most--not that big a deal. I'm sure if you were at risk or much older, the doc would have to spend a few more seconds examining the contours of the prostate gland.

Incidentally, I've had the first exam standing up (leaning a bit over the end of the examination bed) and the latter lying on my side. I hardly felt a thing for the second, so you may want to try that position out the first time you get "poked."

I went for a physical a few months ago, but this wasn't brought up as a part of it, and I sure as shit wasn't going to ask for it.