Pentium M (not Yonah) xGhz chip single core

centrino-esque wifi and 10/100 ethernet

3 usb 2.0 ports, 1 fw400 port

combo drive

available in pearl black and sleek white

let the mockups begin!!
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Originally posted by TheoCryst

I'm not sure about Powerbooks, but I read somewhere that iBook is manufactured by ASUSTeK.

they do fine work, ASUS... (my amd64 rig runs on an asus mobo)
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Keep in mind that cheaper is larger when it comes to notebooks. So an "iBook mini" would actually be the high end of the iBook line, while the low end would have to be more like an iBrick desknote. (Of course, I don't expect Apple to ever make desknotes, but you get the idea.)

That is not necessarily true. It's certainly not true with any of Apple's laptops
  • Reply 24 of 41
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    I highly doubt that Apple will release Intel-based iBooks prior to launching Intel-based Powerbooks. I could however see the potential for Apple to announce both models at the same time.

In my opinion, the Powerbook is in much more desperate need of a re-design than the iBook, since the iBook caters to a lower price segment where performance isn't as important. I have had the opportunity to play around a bit with a classmate's 15" Powerbook, and while the design is very sexy, it is in desperate need of a new, higher performance brain.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

since the iBook caters to a lower price segment where performance isn't as important. I

I think perceived performance is much more crucial to the iBook however.

A jump in MHz would immediately make comparison shoppers have an easier decision
  • Reply 26 of 41
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The 12" iBook is bigger in every dimension and heavier than the more expensive 12" PowerBook. The 14" iBook is thicker and heavier than the 15" PowerBook. If anything will go mini, I think it will be a PowerBook, not an iBook.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

The 12" iBook is bigger in every dimension and heavier than the more expensive 12" PowerBook. The 14" iBook is thicker and heavier than the 15" PowerBook. If anything will go mini, I think it will be a PowerBook, not an iBook.

within the same lines it holds true.

I'm not talking subnotebook thin. I'm talking screen size small and trimmed down form factor.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

In the chart you posted, both low-voltage chips are dual core. the U?ltra low voltage models won't be out til spring.

So a January iBook would have to be dual-core, right?

My impression was that the low-voltage chips were specialty parts (with a premium price) for sub- and sub-sub-notebooks. But I guess the given 25-49W consumption of the regular parts is a squeeze for Apple laptops. So I hope you're right - I'd love to see a dual-core 1.5 GHz Yonah in my iBook.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    heh. a dualcore yonah in an ibook would kicck azzz! they *would* have to release iBook and PowerBook macintels simultaneously though, if both are going to use dualcore yonah. this means this is unlikely to happen macworld2006 january because pro apps are just not ready yet...
  • Reply 30 of 41
    i was wondering if rosetta is mp aware. is it possible that rosetta could emulate a g4 processor faster than the fastest available powerbook g4 right now? it would make the transition much easier as users wouldn't experience any speed loss on yet-converted software and would gain significant speed improvements on converted apps. might be enough to convince a lot of pros to jump over to macintel faster (thereby putting more pressure on the software developers of the pro products as well).
  • Reply 31 of 41
    If Apple does offer new iBooks in January, it will be very appealing to me, and if the price points are a good deal lower, that is better yet.

A dual Yonah iBook.

What has ever happened to the lower PPC 970 that IBM had announced last summer? May that be a possible upgrade for the PowerBook at the same time as a new iBook? Or is that a future passed by?

If CS2 is not ready for a mac intel introduction, then will the PowerBook intel be announced? Seems unlikely.

The best way open to Apple would be simply to be honest and to say that with the switch, the professional applications are not ready, but we are working on them. If that is the truth, it should clear the air.

Would a new iBook run pro applications faster under Rosetta than a G4 PowerBook?

I would be happy to see faster consumer Macintoshes, and probably be willing to be a guinea pig, even if I have liked the PPC for a long time.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    edit: nevermind
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

i was wondering if rosetta is mp aware. is it possible that rosetta could emulate a g4 processor faster than the fastest available powerbook g4 right now? it would make the transition much easier as users wouldn't experience any speed loss on yet-converted software and would gain significant speed improvements on converted apps. might be enough to convince a lot of pros to jump over to macintel faster (thereby putting more pressure on the software developers of the pro products as well).

interesting theory. i think apple is open to letting the pro apps developers have until wwdc 2006 to prepare their universal binaries. most notably, macromedia, adobe, and microsoft mac business units should be on tract for a june/july 2006 delivery... which is nice for wwdc 2006 to show of snazzy powerbook macintels along with steve parading some adobe/microsoft execs up on stage to say how fun and easy the transition was... heh, go back a few months, in the meantime, for consumer and edu markets (imac, mac mini, ibook), they are pretty much all out the door in first half of 2006. in the followings order: mac mini, ibook, imac is my prediction

edit: btw i strongly believe iLife and iWork '06 (with "Cell"!) in january macworld sf 2006, universal binary, will be announced.

edit2: i think certainly rosetta will make the most of multiple processors, sse, sse2, mmx, etc. which you do have a valid point, it raises the danger that iBooks on rosetta will bench very well against powerbooks, so i'm sure apple will have to tailor specs and launches accordingly to keep the two lines distinct yet offer good value to their respective markets.

heh. i could be on track for the first macintel ibook if my budget doesn't get waylaid by a second NVIDIA 6600GT for SLI goodness... umm... just so i can get a high 3dmark05 score and boast to my friends and stuff and have lights and stuff in my pee cee case. yes, today is a low point in my life, i had to resort to renting batman begins on VCD... that's right, MPEG-1 quality on three cd-roms but i digress as usual...
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

i was wondering if rosetta is mp aware. is it possible that rosetta could emulate a g4 processor faster than the fastest available powerbook g4 right now?

my thoughts exactly. the consensus seems to be rosetta adds a 30% performance hit. but a 1.5 dual-core yonah with 667 FSB should be at least 30% faster than a 1.5 G4 right? if so, comparable speed to PPC option out of the gate, with knowledge that performance will increase with uni-bins, and the comfort that you're buying the future.

re: rosetta being MP aware, i don't know the implementation details, but my sense is that if it's just translating instruction threads, OS X can handle the MP thread assignments. can anyone confirm this?

so if intel ibooks come at MWSF, i would expect intel PBs to come with them or follow shortly.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

Would a new iBook run pro applications faster under Rosetta than a G4 PowerBook?

If you can believe Apple when they say that Rosetta only emulates a G3, then probably not. Photoshop under Rosetta wouldn't use SSE3 at all, which, together with the 30+% hit of emulation, should handicap it compared to running native on a G4 with AltiVec.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Photoshop under Rosetta wouldn't use SSE3 at all, ... should handicap it compared to running native on a G4 with AltiVec.

but couldn't adobe release an temporary SSE plugin, like they did for the original PPC transition?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. a dualcore yonah in an ibook would kicck azzz! they *would* have to release iBook and PowerBook macintels simultaneously though, if both are going to use dualcore yonah. this means this is unlikely to happen macworld2006 january because pro apps are just not ready yet...

Ah, but whos pro apps aren't ready? Apple's should be. FCP, DVD SP, Motion, Aperture . . . they should all be ready, no? Wouldn't Apple be thrilled with Aperture running full speed on a dual core PowerBook, while Photoshop runs in emulation mode?

And Microsoft's apps aren't really 'pro'. I mean, a word processor is just a commodity nowadays. Word works fine on even fairly slow processors.

Then look at recent releases. People have been impressed with recent iMac and Power Mac updates, but the iBook, PowerBook, and Mac mini updates have been lethargic. Heck, Apple didn't even give the Mac mini update a new product number, that's how trivial it was.

I think the iBook, PowerBook, and Mac mini are the mostly likely to be updated at MWSF 2006. They need it the most.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple's going to have to be competitive. Here's a glimpse at what they'll be competing against

HP laptop

AMD-1.6

512/60

DVD+/-RW

15" LCD

$900

Not a bad unit. I'd say Apple gets a %10 premium so I'm expecting

iBook 1.6Ghz single core Yonah

512MB/60

Superdrive

14" Widescreen display

AE/BT

$999

That's fair.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    How much do you think the Superdrive costs Apple? At some point they'll have to be standard features - particualrly at Apple's price point.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

How much do you think the Superdrive costs Apple? At some point they'll have to be standard features - particualrly at Apple's price point.

Probably no more than $55.

Next year pretty much all laptops over $999 will have a DVD burner.