Even smaller iPod shuffle may debut in January

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think the nano and 5G iPod both have lost a little charm in losing the remote connector. The nano gets a few extra points taken off for the headphone jack being on the bottom.

But they're still REALLY cool.

The remote loss on 5G is unfortunate. The relocation of the headphone jack is pretty much a design constraint due to the thin size, there would be no room for the LCD and a jack. I'd prefer to keep the device thin, that was the selling point for me.

I am disappointed by the loss of Firewire, I don't believe for a minute that Portal Player or whoever couldn't have put the firewire controller on the microcontroller, it wouldn't cost much to develop. The incremental cost would have been nearly nil, maybe a few square millimeters of board space, no additional thickness and a scant few more pins.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I am disappointed by the loss of Firewire, I don't believe for a minute that Portal Player or whoever couldn't have put the firewire controller on the microcontroller, it wouldn't cost much to develop. The incremental cost would have been nearly nil, maybe a few square millimeters of board space, no additional thickness and a scant few more pins.

I'm disappointed as well, although USB2 is fast enough for any iPod it isn't nice to lose that boot-from-firewire functionality or the charge from clamshell mode laptop.

I believe that Firewire requires a PHY chip regardless of how the Firewire controller is implemented. That takes up space and thus would be one of the first things to go in a size and/or cost reduction.

I wonder how small these new Shuffles will be.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I just don't get how even smaller devices are in any way more useful. Where will they fit that the current Shuffle will not? Thinner things break easier. (No doubt this suits Apple though - as long as people think it was their own fault it means more iPods sold.)

What I'd like to see in the low end segment is an iPod built inside some sturdy headphones, and either a Shuffle or Nano with builtin mic and recording. A strong, long clip could be nice.

Then again, Apple has placed needless size wankery in front of what makes sense with the mini, too.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I just don't get how even smaller devices are in any way more useful. Where will they fit that the current Shuffle will not?

Well, as for the shuffle...fitting into closely positioned USB slots while other devices are plugged in would be good.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Thinner things break easier. (No doubt this suits Apple though - as long as people think it was their own fault it means more iPods sold.)

A tad cynical are we?

Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

What I'd like to see in the low end segment is an iPod built inside some sturdy headphones

You may well see this someday.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Price: $699 ("...holy smokes, dude! that's cheap!11!!!11!...")
  • Reply 26 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Glamingo

I held a nano just yesterday for the first time, and it kind of looked ugly. I think the ipod has lost its charm .

i agree. the new iPods aren't that fantastic, and it seems like the ergonomics are getting a little off.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    the new iPod shuffle look so cool, i'd like to get one, and looking for whether it can put my dvd on new iPod shuffle, glad to find one which can convert dvd and video to new iPod shuffle,
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jefflin View Post

the new iPod shuffle look so cool, i'd like to get one, and looking for whether it can put my dvd on new iPod shuffle, glad to find one which can convert dvd and video to new iPod shuffle,

LMFAO!!!