Apple to prepay $1.25B for iPod flash memory

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Please point to the bullet in the posting guidelines that I have to not dislike Apple to be here. Besides my post did not have any expression of general dislike of Apple in it.

I just don´t belong to the church of "Apple can´t do anything wrong" or "Whats good for Apple is all that matters"

If Apple monopolise a certain vital component for MP3 players other producers will have a hard time coming up with new and better products. They will either have to use (now regarded as inferiour) HDs or more expensive flash memory. That means less products will come to marked and less competition fo Apple. Less choice for us and ultimately less pressure on Apple to develop even more kick ass iPods. I do hope such strategies bite them in the ass.

Producers of flash memory will produce as much flash memory as the market will allow them to sell. The only limiting factor is the number of consumers who are willing to buy a flash-based product, whether it?s Apple branded or not. There's not going to be a magical boom in the flash-based product market because Apple doesn't buy this. We are currently in a ramp-up period where the growth of the iPod has consumed most flash memory. This situation will resolve itself in time.

The UN should probably regulate the percentage of flash memory that a company can buy to make the market a more even playing field, because this would defiantly cause mediocrity. Like a distribution of flash system

• Reply 22 of 32
    No monopolistic practice here. What is to stop Sony or Creative or whoever to sign a similar deal with the NAND producers to prepay or preorder NAND chips?

Pre-paying is a form of insurance against a price rise or chip shortage due to unforseen circumstances. Remember the factory fire in a major RAM producer 10 years or so ago that forced RAM prices up, cost was $150 for 32MB or so, really expensive, almost as expensive as the CPU in an average PC configuration.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Please point to the bullet in the posting guidelines that I have to not dislike Apple to be here. Besides my post did not have any expression of general dislike of Apple in it.

I just don´t belong to the church of "Apple can´t do anything wrong" or "Whats good for Apple is all that matters"

If Apple monopolise a certain vital component for MP3 players other producers will have a hard time coming up with new and better products. They will either have to use (now regarded as inferiour) HDs or more expensive flash memory. That means less products will come to marked and less competition fo Apple. Less choice for us and ultimately less pressure on Apple to develop even more kick ass iPods. I do hope such strategies bite them in the ass.

Well, Mr. globally Feared and Biased Moderator, you should know that it's the way of the world.

Apple gains an advantage. If their products stop selling, they lose a lot of money as well.

Apple didn't start out with 75% market share, so perhaps they should get an advantage here. They've earned it through good ideas and marketing.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    holy fuck , forget me, all *you* guys are the total masters of derailing threads..! in just 20 posts you all have turned this thread into apple-is-or-is-not-a-monopoly debate!! along with questioning the legitamacy of our moderators WTF? good news though overall re: this deal. now apple needs to spend another few billion to buy some media companies
  • Reply 25 of 32
    heh.while we're off topic anyway, good on intel, and good on iSteve, a nice big SCREW YOU to moto/freescale and IBM. this is how you roll doin' business with apple intel just set up a nice market in on the iPod deal. what executive wouldn't want that? unlike our friend ed zander's "what the hell does the nano do?" comment............ in any case personally i'd like to see amd and kingston involved with apple further down the line, but i suspect these high level alliances/ partnerships really have to do with top execs of the companies getting along with the iLord, and "getting" what apple is about.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

Companys that wanna whine need to wake up and start Innovating... Like

Like Sony launching a cd/drm scam against their customers and then blaming apple........ you guys heard about that right?

at least some companys have figured out that "HDTV" for example needs to be a Progressive format as well as an Interlaced format, if people are going to pay the Somewhat still high prices for those TVs and get them into home theaters everywhere for real this time. "Its one example" of some things changing.

perhaps the more apple keeps setting Grade A standards it will finally encourage some companys to stop living in the past and whining "for once"

End rant

heh. the sony drm fiasco shows how you can so totally screw up despite having all that wonderful content and wonderful technology. sony is pretty much now the poster boy of how NOT to do convergence.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

along with questioning the legitamacy of our moderators WTF?

I merely pointed out how his name (given to him by himself) agreed with his comments there.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    heh. globally feared and biased moderator
  • Reply 29 of 32
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Well, Mr. globally Feared and Biased Moderator, you should know that it's the way of the world.

Apple gains an advantage. If their products stop selling, they lose a lot of money as well.

Apple didn't start out with 75% market share, so perhaps they should get an advantage here. They've earned it through good ideas and marketing.

Apple have every right to do it and I have every right to point out that I hope their policy bite them in the ass. Its not like I called your mother ugly or anythink...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

Apple have every right to do it and I have every right to point out that I hope their policy bite them in the ass. Its not like I called your mother ugly or anythink...

ALLRrrrighty then... Well, back on topic.

I hope this is a good move for apple and they use the profits to expand there computer market share.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    well, that's 1.25billion less to buy iBooks for kids dying of aids in the '2nd tier' countries...!!!!

okay okay, back on topic now.........
  • Reply 32 of 32
    What was the topic?