Jumping Ship ! - Windows > OS X

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey folks, here's my first post on your fine forums

I've been a Windows user for many years now, and since buying an iPod I have been so impressed by Apple that I am seriously considering moving over to OS X by purchasing a Powerbook as my next laptop.

I'm just wondering though, what complications might occur if/when I do move over completey to OS X?

I've seen Microsoft Office & Microsoft Messenger available so that's fine, and the same with Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Director MX so the main programs I use seem sorted already.

I'm an Internet Software Development student so I'm planning on being a Web Designer / Developer as my career, meaning I will be using the Powerbook for coding / programming.

I've noticed my favourite Apache server is available for the mac. I currently use the Sun J2SE client but I dont see this as being available for the mac so I was wondering if there was an alternative to program & run Java on OS X ?

Also, is there anything else that I might have forgotten? ... That any other Windows users who converted to OS X noticed?

Thanks for any info & advice given,

Steven.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Congats! and Welcome to the club!

You'll find you can do anything you want with OS X as you can with Windows on a Powerbook. I'm still using a Rev. A Titantium Powerbook G4-400 and can run just about anything I want on it...I even use Virtual PC with Windows 2000 Pro and do development work in Microsoft Access on it. Not a speed demon, but certainly sufficient for my needs (a new Powerbook would be awesome),

Sun and Apple have just released J2SE 5.0 Release 3...so I think you're covered there!

I'm confident that once you get used to Mac OS X versus Windows, you'll never want to go back.

Welcome aboard!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of Apple myself. I love my new iBook and I'll never go back to Windows again! Macs are so much better!
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Sun and Apple have just released J2SE 5.0 Release 3...so I think you're covered there!

Ah, brilliant, thanks for letting me know.

I take it OS X is very good with wireless networking?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    It certainly is.

However, there is only ONE thing that I can't seem to get OS X to do very well and that is to synch with a Windows Mobile device. Oh well.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Hmm, well I dont use a PDA but I'm planning on buying one in the future.

Is there not PDA's that run on OS X ?

It's not really a big problem though

Edit - Nevermind, just checked Apple's site and theres one
  • Reply 6 of 40
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    which PDA is that?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    No complexity whatsoever - just a different language which is more intuitive.

You know a lot more about computers than I do - I've migrated to a 17" powerbook and it's been a joy to use (once I stopped worrying about dumping everything in the trash bin that is).

Apple powerbooks are intuitive and easy to use - I don't know any coding (he says, having screwed up a website) and less complicated than Windows systems.

The difference with an Apple is that there is a coherent operating system with all the parts contributing to the whole system, working flawlessly, co-ordinating in aesthetic style as well. With Windows, it's a bad american patchwork quilt of misfitting parts all bunged together pretending to work simultaneously. You will look like a geek with a Windows computer. With a Mac, you'll be hip and savvy - everyone knows you're more than stylish because you're not downloading patches, busting worms, and fixing 'Error reports - send or do not send'.

• Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

With Windows, it's a bad american patchwork quilt of misfitting parts all bunged together pretending to work simultaneously. You will look like a geek with a Windows computer. With a Mac, you'll be hip and savvy - everyone knows you're more than stylish because you're not downloading patches, busting worms, and fixing 'Error reports - send or do not send'.

Where do you think OS X was created, the lovely fields of Granchester Meadows?
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Hey Gene -

have you ever seen 'Making an American Quilt?' For non-Americans, these are intricate blankets stitched from individual patches of fine embroidered (handmade material) which are assembled together to create a huge blanket.

Windows' borrows from this traditional idea to use patches to fill the gaps in their operating system. In that respect, Apple's Tiger OS is more like a fine French tapestry - spun from one yarn, rather than spinning different yarns.

:P
  • Reply 10 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I think he's referring to the patchwork quilt, the actual fabric product, being American in tradition. And it is - was a way of using every scrap of fabric in a useful way. Other places did similar things, of course, but in the 1800's American Midwest, it became its own artform.

In the US, we refer to it simply as a patchwork quilt. Other areas refer to it as an American patchwork quilt to distinguish the specific style.

Edit: Heh, beat me to it.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Kickaha,

Your avatar says 'really fast typer'.

I beat you by a whole minute - keep with it!
  • Reply 12 of 40
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

It certainly is.

However, there is only ONE thing that I can't seem to get OS X to do very well and that is to synch with a Windows Mobile device. Oh well.

Using PocketMac Pro my wife's works great, using Blue Tooth. It is an iPaq 4xxx and my 5555 works good, blue tooth only though.

Welcome, one year ago I was in your shoes (minus the career). ;-) See sig one year later.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Any Palm PDA sync's flawlessly. I've got a Kyocera 7135 PDA phone and sync to my computer seamlessly. There is also a program called MissingSync that provides hooks to sync WinCE devices.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Hey Gene -

-snip-

It was a joke.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Thanks for all the advice folks

I'll definetly be buying a powerbook sometime then, probably not for another year though as my Windows Laptop is still fairly new

Will keep on browsing the forum though and checking the latest Apple news
  • Reply 16 of 40
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

Thanks for all the advice folks

I'll definetly be buying a powerbook sometime then, probably not for another year though as my Windows Laptop is still fairly new

Yeah, right before I made the switch I purchased a $3,000 Dell notebook (M60) completely loaded. I have used it only for work purposes and the thing is so freekn' big I hate it. Good luck waiting it out...
  • Reply 17 of 40
    lol, yeah i'll probably end up getting one a lot sooner
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

In that respect, Apple's Tiger OS is more like a fine French tapestry - spun from one yarn, rather than spinning different yarns.

Is this why it took Apple 3 updates to the original release just to fix the major bugs?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Ohh. I just see the finished product - a perfect Tiger operating system on my 17" powerbook.

Despite Windows best attempts......all they have is Windows XP with all of its myriad of faults despite numerous updates. They just can't seem to improve its stability; it's reliability and ability to talk to other components of its operating system without crashing.

Next year they're not even going to bother to fix XP - they're going to jump ship onto Windows Vista which is going to have its own OS problems, so those on XP will be left in the dirty underwear laundry. That's just terrible (I think).

• Reply 20 of 40
    To be quite honest, as much as i hate saying it Windows XP is actually quite a good operating system, considering it is made to run under just about any hardware configuration.

The reason OS X is designed so brilliantly is because it's designed to run under an exact hardware specification, and combine all the different devices to make a perfect operating system.

Also i'm sure it's obvious that Apple take so much more pride in there work. I've never used a mac before, but my 40GB 4G iPod is perfect in every way ... it's such a good product.