Briefly: AppleCare coming to Florida; TiVoToGo; Fox and CC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AppleCare arriving for Florida consumers

It's been quite a wait, but tipsters tell AppleInsider that Apple will finally qualify to sell AppleCare extended warranties to consumers in the state of Florida beginning on December 9th.

Previously, Apple was limited by the terms in Chapter 634 of the Florida Statutes to selling AppleCare only to businesses, agencies, non-profit organizations and educational institutions with a valid Tax ID.

Slightly different warranty laws exist in Florida, aimed at protecting the state's large elderly population from "warranty scams."

Due to legal wording, sources say Florida Apple stores and authorized resellers will carry a different AppleCare retail box which reflects a small but important wording change that will qualify the warranties for sale.

TiVo says mid-2006 for Mac TiVoToGo support

In volume 77 of the TiVo Subscriber Newsletter the company said it will be offering demos of its upcoming iPod-compatible TiVoToGo feature during the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January.

The newsletter's editor also provided a timeframe for the long-awaited Mac version of TiVoToGo: "Confidential to my Mac buddies: I know, I know. But this announcement, while still PC-specific, bodes very well. Hang in there?we are targeting mid-2006 for Mac support for TivoToGo."

Fox, Clear Channel eye iTunes deals

With Apple reportedly preparing to announce a slew of new iTunes video content early next year, several new media corporations have expressed interest in selling their content via iTunes.

On Thursday Fox Film Entertainment co-chairman James Gianopulos said his is "open to a deal" with Apple's iTunes music and video service. "Of course, we'd be open to that. We believe it would be a great opportunity," he said.

Meanwhile, Clear Channel's radio division chief executive John Hoga said his company could possibly ink distribution deals with Yahoo or Apple's iTunes music service by next year. The U.S. radio conglomerate, which is seeking as many distribution outlets as possible for its programs, has been in talks with Apple, Yahoo and Microsoft over the past year, according to Reuters.

Apple currently offers video content from ABC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Woohoo! Now we can get Clear Channel radio on my iPod! Oh, wait! I thought the reason I use an iPod was to avoid all that crappy Clear Channel radio...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Woohoo! Now we can get Clear Channel radio on my iPod! Oh, wait! I thought the reason I use an iPod was to avoid all that crappy Clear Channel radio...

Right you are, Louzer.

and in other developments- I wonder if Apple's Extended Care Warranty will cover hurricane/flood damage...

• Reply 3 of 14
    yeah who cares about clearchannel blah blah same old.....

cmon family guy downloads!

oh and how about at macworld announcing that you can now buy full definition tv shows that can be burned to dvd. even if it is only once. why not let me buy the same thing from itunes that i can at best buy. the entire season of family guy that I can then burn to dvd and it looks great on my tv. but then when i transfer it to the ipod its scaled down...i dont know now im just rambling...anyways....

cmon family guy downloads!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Apple needs to get HBO on board.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    HBO, Fox, CNN, ESPN, etc....

All good.

But what they really need is the BBC!!

(and of course to release it in the UK.)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I would definitely be prepared to pay up to $1.99 if I missed a BBC show, an episode of Family Guy, etc. Oh, and make it available in Ireland.

Edit: Since in the UK, the license payer has already paid for BBC programming, it should work something like this (really innovative idea warning, call the patent office): if you live in the UK where you have essentially "already paid", you only pay for the bandwidth/iTunes processing fee. If you live outside the UK, you pay the ordinary $1.99 or whatever it is in your country. That's fair and easy to manage (credit card billing address).
  • Reply 7 of 14
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    As far as the applecare in FL thing, its weird. I live in Florida, so all I did was have my dad buy it in Louisiana, and then mail the box to me. Apple honors it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    A Jack Bauer Power Hour in your pocket? Yes please!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We don't have to like the programming. Fortunetaly, we won't have to buy it.

But the more providers Apple does deals with the better it is.

I think that there a many deals in the making than we have heard of.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    So does that mean that apple is slowly fullfilling George Lucas prophecy from his interview last week???

you still cant burn the current Itunes video content onto a disk and that needs TO CHANGE!!! I will not buy if i cant own,and those of us who feel that way need to let the studios know it,if they are going with this where i think they are going with this... and Dont Even get me started on Florida.

• Reply 11 of 14
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

So does that mean that apple is slowly fullfilling George Lucas prophecy from his interview last week???

I missed that... got a link?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Ok I bought a G5 refurb back in April - wondering if I can get Apple Care here in Florida once it is allowed or will it not be retroactive? They say the wording is different.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ruidoso48

Ok I bought a G5 refurb back in April - wondering if I can get Apple Care here in Florida once it is allowed or will it not be retroactive? They say the wording is different.

I think you can only get it on a "new" unit, but I'm not 100% on that.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ruidoso48

You can get it RIGHT now. Im sure you know someone in another state. Just use their address when you register/buy the applecare.