iTunes video sales double as Apple preps new content partners

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    quote:

Sounds to me like a new faster caching system? As far as backing up the media to DVD, well, I don't think so... As it is right now, video purchased from iTunes can't be burned to DVD so nothing is changing in that regard.. Of course there are always ways around DRM, but this sounds like a pretty viable solution. You can put it on your iPod or watch it anythime you want via FrontRow, but you will never get the physical file in a way which it can be copied...

Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

yeah and you can thank the stockholders and COOKED fearful Industry people for this kind of crap.... I dont blame apple but Steve jobs knows that this stuff is what causes more piracy! and he should make a stand on his consumers rights.more piracy means people hacking and cracking drms...

You know what this all means dont you?

We are slowly being Buttered and lathered up for......

The death of DvD and Optical media.

to stave of piracy and earn a decent profit they are going to take the toys away.............. \

when the Ultimate solution is so easy.... but thats another thread.

What he is missing here is that as he himself (love recursive statements )said, it will be on your iPod. Once on there...

But, of course, that will be a lower rez file.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Question, what is the resolution of the files that are now downloaded from iTunes? I know that they are primarely for the video iPod, which does not require the highest res, but is the actual file higher resolution?

Comment, the biggest problem with the files residing on Apple's servers and not on your hard drive is that they are not accessable when your internet connection or Apple's servers are down. You also might experience problems when the servers are recieving excessive trafic. This is enough to degrade the user experience. For myself, I would much prefer to have a physical file so that I don't experience these problems. Then there is the American Consumer in me that wants what I paid for.

As to storage, the size of HD's is increasing for your $. Also encoding is bringing that file size down, so storage is becoming less of an issue. This would be made less of one if/when the market/hardware matures enough to encompass more in house connectivity and demands a home "Server" with central storage. I could see a day in the not too distant future when you buy an iServe with Quad processors and hot-swappable drives for $1299-2000, then expand it with as many "dummy" terminals and laptops as you need, a few "Set-Top Boxes", a few iPods, iPod Car Sterio (with built in WiFi for updating, and optional 10" LCD screen for video, and where WiFi isn't available it is updated by plugging in an iPod or has a "Memory-Stick" that plugs into your USB port for updating). Add in some home automation hardware and software (already available) and you have a "Digital Home"
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay Apple's digital lifestyle is demanding bigger drives! arrgh

And I thought my massive 20 gig drive would last me into my golden years.

It's a conspiracy!

Damn you, Jobs!
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Question, what is the resolution of the files that are now downloaded from iTunes? I know that they are primarely for the video iPod, which does not require the highest res, but is the actual file higher resolution?

Comment, the biggest problem with the files residing on Apple's servers and not on your hard drive is that they are not accessable when your internet connection or Apple's servers are down. You also might experience problems when the servers are recieving excessive trafic. This is enough to degrade the user experience. For myself, I would much prefer to have a physical file so that I don't experience these problems. Then there is the American Consumer in me that wants what I paid for.

As to storage, the size of HD's is increasing for your $. Also encoding is bringing that file size down, so storage is becoming less of an issue. This would be made less of one if/when the market/hardware matures enough to encompass more in house connectivity and demands a home "Server" with central storage. I could see a day in the not too distant future when you buy an iServe with Quad processors and hot-swappable drives for $1299-2000, then expand it with as many "dummy" terminals and laptops as you need, a few "Set-Top Boxes", a few iPods, iPod Car Sterio (with built in WiFi for updating, and optional 10" LCD screen for video, and where WiFi isn't available it is updated by plugging in an iPod or has a "Memory-Stick" that plugs into your USB port for updating). Add in some home automation hardware and software (already available) and you have a "Digital Home"

First things first. The files are 320 x 240. I already explained this in another thread(which I can't seem to find right now )

I agree with your assement about the server problems. That is one argument.

It's nice that you're so optimistic about Apple's prices, but I think you should pull back a bit.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I wish that were true about crt's resolution, but it's not.

Sony's 34" set is very good, but 1080i doesn't mean that you are getting what you think you are. I can guarrantee that you aren't getting 1920 x 1080i.

hmmm very interesting..any way to test? Maybe throw the powerbook into the HDMI port? (how do you do this?)
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by waytogobuddy

hmmm very interesting..any way to test? Maybe throw the powerbook into the HDMI port? (how do you do this?)

There are DVI to HDMI converters. I don't have any info here right now.

You could try to Google it and see what comes up. The pro converters are very expensive though. I don't know what quality a converter simply based on a cable pinout would be.