Too good to be true?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    well, told you so...to have a fresh pair of pants ready!!
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:

@homenow

Video: Here we have rumours of TV's, DVR's, Media Computer's, Set-top Boxes, AirPort Xpress "Xtreme". What can Apple briing to the product that no one else has to offer, or has though to. What are some of the things that would hinder Apple's entry in this product arena.

* TV: Pro-Unified Design philosophy with other Apple products.

Con- high price.

* DVR: Pro-User Interface experience and track record. AirPort communication with computer. Integration with iCal, iMovie, iTunes, and .Mac. Controlled via AppleScript, Automator.

Cons-market increasingly supplied by cable/satelite companies.

* Media Computer:Pro-same as DVR + OS X and Mac compter built in.

Cons-Cost of DVR and Computer in a product which is increasingly supplied by cable/satelite companies.

* Set-Top Box: (Assuming that this is just a streaming reciever) Pro's-low cost way to distribute and view audio/video throughout the home. Integration with computer network. User Interface experience and track record. Integration with iCal, iMovie, iTunes, and .Mac. Controlled via AppleScript, Automator.

Cons-Integrated (relies on) computer network and software.

* AirPort Xpress "Xtreme": Pros-Low Cost evolution of existing product.

I'm Not sure what to say about @homenow's thoughts. I mean TIVO has announced that you will soo be able to record and download any content from their DVR's to the Ipod V. That kind of puts apple out of the delivery game right there it sounds simpler than anything apple would be able to release. Perhaps they should have bought the company when they had a chance. I think rather that Apple would be better served focusing their energy on organizing and viewing content rather than trying to delivery it. Too much competition in that market. Strange because what were talking about is traditionally "un-apple" in that were talking about consuming content on the mac (itunes and Itunes video) rather than creating content. It's something that we all want and the world conglomerates are are struggling to find the perfect formula to get the most of our money into their pockets so it'll be interesting tosee things play out.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spliff monkey

I'm Not sure what to say about @homenow's thoughts. I mean TIVO has announced that you will soo be able to record and download any content from their DVR's to the Ipod V. That kind of puts apple out of the delivery game right there it sounds simpler than anything apple would be able to release. Perhaps they should have bought the company when they had a chance. I think rather that Apple would be better served focusing their energy on organizing and viewing content rather than trying to delivery it. Too much competition in that market. Strange because what were talking about is traditionally "un-apple" in that were talking about consuming content on the mac (itunes and Itunes video) rather than creating content. It's something that we all want and the world conglomerates are are struggling to find the perfect formula to get the most of our money into their pockets so it'll be interesting tosee things play out.

Silly boy. You are about 100% wrong I am afraid. Perhaps you should stop smoking dope.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Silly boy. You are about 100% wrong I am afraid. Perhaps you should stop smoking dope.

That seems a little uncalled for, doesn't it?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

That seems a little uncalled for, doesn't it?

Not if your screen name is a pot reference.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

...Apple would be better served focusing their energy on organizing and viewing content rather than trying to delivery it. Too much competition in that market. Strange because what were talking about is traditionally "un-apple" in that were talking about consuming content on the mac (itunes and Itunes video) rather than creating content. ...

I think that what most people want is organizing, managing, and local delivery of content. Apple has done this for music with iTunes, Photos with iPhoto and (Pro market) Apeture. This is one area that Apple has been successful with in the last few years, and one of the major applications/hardware that is missing.

Where I disagree with you is that I believe that the majoriaty of people do not want to "consume" content on the Mac, just use it to organize and manage the content and deliver it throughout the house to the TV in any room that they happen to be in. Therefore some other form of hardware would be neccessary for local delivery to a larger screen TV and Audio system. This hardware needs a UI with a simple and logical design, a remote control, AV outputs (the fewer the better but should include coaxial, SVideo, HDMI), AirPort and Ethernet connectivity. It should also be as inexpensive as possible and support both the PC and Mac markets.

Delivery via iTMS should be viewed as a side parallel but seperate market that adds value (supports) to the hardware/software while the hardware/software sales help to sell the delivery/DRM method to the content owners. This is pretty much the way that the iPod and iTMS started out.

I think that DVR's are inevetible, the market will demand them. I'm not sure they would be brought into the system. Some of the software already exists with the proper tuners and firewire connectivity, which eleminates tuners built into the Mac or set-top box.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    As far as the pot "diss" I'm alright with that, I've had that handle for about ten years now and you get used to people going for the easy shot, specially when they have nothing to add to the discussion.

@home I don't disagree with the fact that Apple users are wanting to consume media. I was just looking at Apple from the standpoint of the Steve Jobs we all love to hate. For years he had been quoted as disliking the merger of TV and PC. So we all thought it would probably never reach the mac on a system level. I welcome the change, I just wonder where exactly Apple can provide the best service or hardware? I'm not sure about any of the possibilities and I'm sure the Apple execs had been working very hard to define that category for Apple. Not an easy task. Especially since the ipod other companies have seen that success and want a piece of the pie themselves. Though I don't think they are in as good of a position as Apple, but things change very quickly in the tech sector. Personally I can't wait and see it'll be fantastic whatever it turns into all of the signs are there for great new products and services. Just trying to gleen what is on the horizon in this case is very difficult; Apple used to be very predictable, today the company embraces radical changes so long as it seems a secure venture, making it hard for joe schmoe to figure out what's coming.

BTW. You say pot smoker like it's a bad thing. How many people do you know smoke? Are they bad people? Slower or dumber than the rest? I doubt it. (Rhetorical: Do not answer I don't want a discussion on macs turning into a flame on pot smokers.)I have allot of respect from the people that I work with and they rely on me to make thier corporate lives to run smoothly. You don't earn that trust being a "schmo".

Just food for thought before you cast an ignorant dispersion without knowing jack S_-_ about what you are talking about.

Now let's play nice... This is an Apple forum and I'd like to stay on topic. Though I'm sure we could discuss this further elsewhere if need be.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

...consume media. I was just looking at Apple from the standpoint of the Steve Jobs we all love to hate. For years he had been quoted as disliking the merger of TV and PC...

What I ment to say, and what I think Steve was trying to get across in the oft quoted statement, is that the majoriaty of people do not want to watch TV on their computers, but there is a market for storing, managing, and delivering that video content to the various "spokes" (Televisions) of your home network.

I think that Apple has hinted at coming out with other products for doing this around the home, like the Airport Express (which is a flawed attempt while it is missing the remote control). It only makes sense with Apple's focus on video (iMovie, iDVD, etc) that they would eventually come out with a solution that brings gives Apple control over the user experience of managing and viewing the video content that they make, recieve or purchase.

The ultimate goal of such a solution would be the elemination of physical delivery of comercial video content which would bring Apple revenue from DRM licensing, as well as the sale of the tools to make the video, set it up for delivery and deliver the content.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Exactly, If i can create my own content how can I best share it or view it without the need for a computer snd by extension how can organizr it in all categories music, video, stills etc. It's been quite some time in the making so personally I'd excpect nothing short of "great" things from apple, but given Liscensing issues etc we may all have to wait a little longer than we'd like, but on that note, Apple seems to have developed many great relationships with some of the biggest media distributors out there, not an easy task. Here's to Apple pulling it all together where many have come in about two cents short of a dollar and suprising us all, but I gotta remember, good things come to those that wait.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I will be very interested to see what Apple does with the 15 and 17 inch Powerbooks. The MPC 7448 G4 chip -- if Freescale can get it to work -- would be a cheap way for Apple to use the very last Apple G4 to deliver a big speed boost at the same clock speed due to the higher bus speed (200MHz) and the 1MB cache. It would be attractive for Apple because it could be done with literally no additional R&D because the chip is drop-in compatible with the 7447 and Apple has already done the heavy lifting with the motherboard and power management. It would also be attractive because it would mean the creative-oriented Powerbooks continuing on PowerPC until developers have their universal binaries out.

So I am going to suggest two scenarios.

#1. 7448 now works. 15 and 17 inch Powerbook to 7448 at MWSF, Mac Mini to Intel. Small PB and iBook to Intel for February or maybe March delivery. 15 and 17 inch PB move to Intel in the summer as more universal binaries come on the market.

#2. 7448 still hopeless. Intel splash. Mac Mini and iBook for immediate (well, mid-January) launch, and EITHER a big price cut for the creative Powerbooks or February or March Intelisation.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Apple is pushing a CPU independent API for "accelerated" functions like those running on Altivec today. However, like the other libraries in place, this could be redeployed on the GPU and existing apps could reap many speedups. I would expect this to be one of Leopard's feature.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Apple is pushing a CPU independent API for "accelerated" functions like those running on Altivec today. However, like the other libraries in place, this could be redeployed on the GPU and existing apps could reap many speedups. I would expect this to be one of Leopard's feature.

....only in as much as coreImage so far would the GPU-acceleration work out... for Accelerate.framework if i am not mistaken, that would still rely on non-GPU stuff like SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Altivec g4, Altivec g5

edit: GPU-acceleration of h.264 ENCODING and decoding on the ati x1300, 1600, 1800 series made me wet my pants though when i read it