Apple ships Quads with Nvidia 7800 graphics card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer last week began shipping the first of its new high-end Power Mac G5 Quad systems that include Nvidia's GeForce 7800 GT graphics card.

Several customers were surprised when they received Apple store shipping notifications on their orders in middle of last week because previous shipping estimates suggested the 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT card would not be ready until the last week of December.

According to reports, the release of the 7800 had been held up due to a stringent set of Apple acoustic guidelines which the graphics cards had to meet before they could be included inside the new Power Macs.

With the 7800 packing its own fan, sources said Apple wanted to be sure the cards did not contribute significantly to the noise already produced by the Power Mac's own cooling system.

One of the first customers to receive a Power Mac G5 Quad with the GeForce 7800 GT said the systems "do not appear to produce any more noise than the standard configuration."

Once Apple has caught up with the backlog of orders for the 7800, source say the company will begin selling at its retail stores a "Power Mac G5 Quad Ultimate" configuration, which will retail for around (US)$4000 and include the 7800, 1GB of DDR2 RAM and other component upgrades.

The Apple online store now lists the availability of the Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT at 2 to 4 days in Power Mac G5 Dual configurations and 5 to 7 days in the Power Mac G5 Quad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    If Apple offers a $4000 Ultimate configuration, I would hope it includes the wireless airport/bluetooth and a 500GB Hitachi mechanism.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I would like it to have a high end card. The 7800GT is just a medium card right now. The GTX is noticably faster, and so is the GTX Extreme.

The GT costs $350, but Apple is giving it to us for $350 more than what we will pay for the 6600 GT.

I can't understand why they are always behind so quickly.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...202/index.html
  • Reply 3 of 22
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I can't understand why they are always behind so quickly.

You do know. Economy of scale.

This will be one of the advantages of Intel.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

You do know. Economy of scale.

This will be one of the advantages of Intel.

But Apple makes their own boards. They could have chosen the better chip and used it in the better configuration.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I don't know. You got me on that one.

Without any real substantial information to give us an answer, we can do as is done on many internet threads. Blame it on incompetence.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

I don't know. You got me on that one.

Without any real substantial information to give us an answer, we can do as is done on many internet threads. Blame it on incompetence.

The problem is; I think you're right!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    YES!!!!

email from Apple:

The following products shipped on 12/01/2005.

Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price

__________ ________________________________________ ____ ________________

Z0AW PMG5 QUAD 2.5 CTO 1 3,748.00

With the following configuration:

Processor 065-5183 2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5.

Memory 065-5184 512 MB DDR533 NON ECC 2X256

Hard Drive 065-5177 250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm

Optical Drive 065-5180 16x SD DL(DVD-R/CD-RW)

Graphic Support 065-6181 NVIDIA GF 7800 GT 256 SDRAM

Fibre Chl PCI 065-5986 None

Wireless Option 065-6141 AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth

Modem 065-6049 None

Keyboard Language 065-5178 Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mse

Mac OS Language 065-5187 Mac OS X-Multilingual

Server Mac OS Language 065-5988 None

Apple Software Applications 065-5991None

Country Kit 065-5185 Country Kit

FedEx tracking says it'll be here Thursday! And yes, there is a Santa Claus.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    I'm very happy that Apple has such strict guidelines for system acoustic. All PC makers should learn from this. For me the difference from going from a Gateway tower PC to a Mac mini was like going from an airplane takeoff into a Buddhist garden.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    yes, I received the notification on Nov. 27 by Nov. 30 the system was here. almost 1 month before they predict their shipment. It was a great surprise. The Quad with the GT card is amazing fast and quiet. I barely hear the fans. it kicks when i do very intensive tasks. not very often.

I am glad i waited for the Gt Card.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

The problem is; I think you're right!

Which right?

That on internet threads within a vacuum or lack of information people will default to the accusation of incompetence.

Or that the people running Apple are actually incompetent?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Which right?

That on internet threads within a vacuum or lack of information people will default to the accusation of incompetence.

both
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

quote:Originally posted by TenoBell

Which right?

both

Hey I thought you were one of the relentlessly pro Apple/blame it all on everybody else brigade (LOL..).

GTX when/if it comes (with G5) will simply be more money. Cose thats the way they like it! I mean its not like they couldn't cut $600-800 of the price of the full machine now and still make a profit is it (?).

They could even borrow from Stella Artois advertising.. Hmm Apple, Reasuringly expensive and Insanely great.

I wouldn't buy anything else so jokes on me!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Its a bit difficult to complain or question many of Apple's choices. Because they give so little information about the choices they make.

From a certain point of view it may make perfect sense why Apple is not using the better graphics card. On the other hand it may make no sense at all.

We really don't fully know why they chose one of the other, so its difficult to say if its a good choice or not.

On the issue of noise. I can understand that. I was just in a cafe with my quiet Powerbook. A guy sitting near me with a 17 inch Gateway laptop. He was playing a videogame and the fan in his machine really did sound like an airplane about to take off. That was the noisiest laptop I've ever heard.

To deal with that for any amount of time would be really annoying.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Its a bit difficult to complain or question many of Apple's choices. Because they give so little information about the choices they make.

From a certain point of view it may make perfect sense why Apple is not using the better graphics card. On the other hand it may make no sense at all.

We really don't fully know why they chose one of the other, so its difficult to say if its a good choice or not.

On the issue of noise. I can understand that. I was just in a cafe with my quiet Powerbook. A guy sitting near me with a 17 inch Gateway laptop. He was playing a videogame and the fan in his machine really did sound like an airplane about to take off. That was the noisiest laptop I've ever heard.

To deal with that for any amount of time would be really annoying.

What bothers me about it is this:

EDIT: Gah! I went to Apple's page. They changed what they had down for the 7800GT. It said originally that it was "the fastest graphics gaming card". That was a paraphrase. Now it doesn't.

It's still overpriced, and two levels down.

We should have better. If I do order my Quad during MacWorld, I'll have to decide what to do about it. I was going to order the 7800, but now I don't know. Maybe it would be better to wait for the ATI 580 series gpu which will be out sometime late 1st quarter (I hope. ATI's been late recently).
  • Reply 15 of 22
    We got in the Apple OEM NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT Cards today. Here are some pictures. It looks like the card is just a modified ASUS card with different firmware and a card extender.

http://powermax.download-files.net/n...orce_7800.html
  • Reply 16 of 22
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    There won't ever be any good graphic cards for powerpc. Apple is however planning to make a splash and change with the Intel chipset by supporting standard pc graphics cards.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

There won't ever be any good graphic cards for powerpc. Apple is however planning to make a splash and change with the Intel chipset by supporting standard pc graphics cards.

Dumbest quote ever award.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Dumbest quote ever award.

Son of a bitch! that was my title! I'LL GET YOU WEBMAIL! AND YOUR LITTLE DOG TOTO TOO!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Hi, does anyone have information as to when Apple plan to sell the Geforce 7800 GT Kits?

• Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by conradwt

Hi, does anyone have information as to when Apple plan to sell the Geforce 7800 GT Kits?

Do you mean seperate from buying a machine? Apple hasn't said anything. Wait 'till after Macworld. If more boards come out, it might happen.