No firewire in new laptops

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-SATA.cfm

It looks like the G-SATA drive is faster than the same drive with a firewire 800 connection.

If they kept the FW400, and replaced the FW800 with an eSATA connection, would it inconvienience a lot of people? Obviously anyone with a FW800 raid drive, but are there other applications as well?

Nobody argues that eSATA and SAS are faster for external drives / external drive arrays.

FireWire, however, still maintains (and will continue to maintain) a unique position in audio and video equipment, thanks to its low latency and integrated codecs.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Nobody argues that eSATA and SAS are faster for external drives / external drive arrays.

FireWire, however, still maintains (and will continue to maintain) a unique position in audio and video equipment, thanks to its low latency and integrated codecs.

But are people using FW800 or FW400 for that audio and video equipment? I know that FW400 is important, but is FW800?
  • Reply 43 of 79
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

But are people using FW800 or FW400 for that audio and video equipment? I know that FW400 is important, but is FW800?

I see FW800 like USB 2.0. It'll just become the Firewire standard. Why not?
  • Reply 44 of 79
    Quote:

Yes of course ppl are using Firewire Audio interfaces. Firewire has time stamping technology which is VERY important for audio/video sync.

Intel's own mobo's have had Firewire standard for quite a long time. This is not a matter of Intel providing 'Intel Only' protocols.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

Yes of course ppl are using Firewire Audio interfaces. Firewire has time stamping technology which is VERY important for audio/video sync.

Intel's own mobo's have had Firewire standard for quite a long time. This is not a matter of Intel providing 'Intel Only' protocols.

I'll repeat my question - FW400 or FW800? Don't answer with a generic "firewire is popular".

Is anyone using FW800 for anything besides big external raid arrays?
  • Reply 46 of 79
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

I'll repeat my question - FW400 or FW800? Don't answer with a generic "firewire is popular".

FW800 hasn't taken off, maybe this is the essence of the truth behind the rumour. Possibly, Apple could be swapping to FW800 to encourage devices to do the same. Someone needs to lead the market.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

FW800 hasn't taken off, maybe this is the essence of the truth behind the rumour. Possibly, Apple could be swapping to FW800 to encourage devices to do the same. Someone needs to lead the market.

Ask any video professional, any post house or ad agency and they will say firewire 800... whats that? Apple innovates and sees ops like any other company.

I for one think that apple whould be shooting themselves in the foot dropping firewire. Maybe they dropped in from the ipod was to produce ipods at volume.

Powerpage... delivering the truth...
  • Reply 49 of 79
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Is there anyone here that for even one minute believes this rumor? The floppy is dead, the zip disk isn't too far behind, but firwire still has plenty of life left to it.

I never could get into zip disk . . . but I do agree that this rumor is a hoaks, Apple well not get ride of firewire on their laptops.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Is there anyone here that for even one minute believes this rumor? The floppy is dead, the zip disk isn't too far behind, but firwire still has plenty of life left to it.

Sorry to break it to you, but the zip disk is dead.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Reading through the Aperture user manual, there are quite a few upbeat references to the superiority of FireWire over USB. Using this as a recent indication/guide, it would be a little out of character for Apple to drop it.

In this age of shifting massive digital images/video, together with Apple's pro (and consumer) digital apps, FW800 (or hopefully Gigawire) could play a very nice role indeed. Would be good to see Intel get with the program.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

Reading through the Aperture user manual, there are quite a few upbeat references to the superiority of FireWire over USB. Using this as a recent indication/guide, it would be a little out of character for Apple to drop it.

In this age of shifting massive digital images/video, together with Apple's pro (and consumer) digital apps, FW800 (or hopefully Gigawire) could play a very nice role indeed. Would be good to see Intel get with the program.

It would also appear that Intel is capible of adding this to their MBs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121230

Notice that it is an Intel made board with 1394a connections.

Firewire == no problem!!

The point being that Intel can add 1394 a/b if Apple wants it. Again this is an area that Intel and Apple could work together.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

It would also appear that Intel is capible of adding this to their MBs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121230

Notice that it is an Intel made board with 1394a connections.

Firewire == no problem!!

The point being that Intel can add 1394 a/b if Apple wants it. Again this is an area that Intel and Apple could work together.

The last 3 Intel boards I had in my PCs all had firewire on them.

Any decent PC motherboard has firewire.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:

I do not use floppy disks or Zip disks anymore at all. I cannot remember the last time that I used one. I use my thumb drive all the time now. They are just too easy to use and they hold a lot more.

As for Firewire, I do believe it has a lot of life left in it. Hopefully, these are just that; rumors, and we will see Firewire in the laptops from Apple for a while to come.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:

I've used it a number of times for moving files between Macs (target disk mode). Granted not a big application, but you asked
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Sorry to break it to you, but the zip disk is dead.

I'm not really going to disagree with you, but accross the bay from you at UCSF there are a lot of old Macs with Zip drives and that is how people move stuff around. It still works, but I think the same disks just keep getting recycled-I haven't seen a new one in quite some time.

Call it brain dead with a weak pulse.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Ask any video professional, any post house or ad agency and they will say firewire 800... whats that? Apple innovates and sees ops like any other company.

I for one think that apple whould be shooting themselves in the foot dropping firewire. Maybe they dropped in from the ipod was to produce ipods at volume.

Powerpage... delivering the truth...

This whole discussion seems predicated on the incorrect notion that FW800 is somehow unusable with 400 - a three quid adaptor will let you hook up whatever you like, something Apple would hopefully bung in the box. Remember all the original FW iMacs shipped with a 6 to 4 cable to get the ball rolling. Belkin will sell me a 5 metre 9 to 6 cable for around a tenner, hardly the death knell for Apple among creatives. "Oh no, i have to use a DIFFERENT WIRE!!!, pass me that ugly-ass Dell lumptop instanter!!"
  • Reply 58 of 79
    I rely on FireWire to boot up laptops via a portable hard drive at work to perform maintenance on them. I also use FireWire Target Disk mode to transfer files between Macs using Apple's Migration Assistant when I setup new Macs at work. Unless Apple finds a way to make Macs bootable from USB2 external hard drives and modifies Migration Assistant to also work with USB2, this would be a non-starter for me.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i have to say i have really loved any firewire400 peripheral i have owned, once the oxford911 chipset came out. it's like they finally hammered out all of the bugs and could start mass-producing hardware cheaply. all i ask is that they don't remove firewire compatibility from os x (like they've all but done with scsi... hey apple, some of our scsi devices were running just fine on the same hardware until the 10.4 upgrade, y'know) anytime soon. then, at least i'm just a pci-card away from keeping my peripherals running.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    G-SATA is a possible competitor to FW800 for hard drives, but IEEE 1394 FireWire is more: it is THE plug for Digital Video. USB2 is not for true DV format, it is used only with little camcorders which encode directly in MPEG-2 on a DVD-R or MPEG-4 on a HDD, a nightmare to edit.

Moreover, a new consortium has been formed to unify and promote HD video networking:

HANA (High-Definition Audio-Video Network Alliance, web site hanaalliance.org).

Industry Leaders Announce High-Definition Audio-Video Network Alliance:

On December 14, 2005 at NBC Studio 8H, industry leaders Charter Communications, Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc., NBC Universal, Samsung and Sun Microsystems announced the formation of the High-Definition Audio-Video Network Alliance (HANA). HANA members are working to create a standards-based design guideline for secure High-Definition AV networks that will help enhance the consumer HD entertainment experience. Read the HANA Press Release.

And more precisely:

HANA is in discussions with standards bodies such as the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), CableLabs, the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) and the 1394 Trade Association. HANA's goal is to utilize these groups' technologies to enable HD content sharing around the home. For example, by utilizing IEEE 1394 to connect devices, HANA will eliminate the confusing tangle of cables used to connect TVs with home theaters, DVD players and other consumer electronics products.

So HANA will promote FireWire connection as the interface of choice for Digital Video networking devices. Strange that Apple nor Texas Instruments don't belong to the alliance though.

First HANA-certified products will come to market 2006-H1.

HANA will be present at CES 2006 (January 5-8, Rooms N223-N225) in Las Vegas.