iPod competitors can't compete with Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Yes, Apple has most of the price points covered, but without the iPod mini there are still a few holes. Also an 80gig or 100gig iPod would be NICE!

...for someone with money, unlike me....
  • Reply 42 of 45
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    I work at Toys R Us (doesn't carry iPods) and have noticed something. People come in asking for iPods when what the really want is an mp3 player... any mp3 player. Apple has done to mp3 players what kleenex did to tissues and what black diamond did to tube belay devices (ATC). It's pretty impressive.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asaph

I work at Toys R Us (doesn't carry iPods) and have noticed something. People come in asking for iPods when what the really want is an mp3 player... any mp3 player. Apple has done to mp3 players what kleenex did to tissues and what black diamond did to tube belay devices (ATC). It's pretty impressive.

I'm not so sure you're right. If what the article says is correct, and 2.500 people leaves an uncertainly of about plus or minus 2.5%, then People are coming in for iPods.

According to the Radio Shack manager in my neighborhood, people would come into the store for iPods, see the Hp name, and not know what to do. The Creatives and iRiver models would rarely be sold. Now that they carry Apple branded iPods, they can't keep them in stock. Accessories are also going at a good rate.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    we carry the creative players at my store and I see the same thing. they're confused... but it seems to be because they didnt know there were other players out there. I have to explain to nearly every customer what on earth an mp3 player even is, and that apple isn't the only company that makes them.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asaph

we carry the creative players at my store and I see the same thing. they're confused... but it seems to be because they didnt know there were other players out there. I have to explain to nearly every customer what on earth an mp3 player even is, and that apple isn't the only company that makes them.

Maybe, but I see plenty of ads for Creative.

Every sales brochure and catalog I receive has plenty of players for Creative, iRiver and others in it, prominently displayed. So I find it hard to believe that people don't know that there are other players out there.

What I'm seeing when I walk into most stores that have mp3 players is this;

Over at one side of a counter, usually under glass, sits an assortment of mp3 players by several manufactures. Sometimes I see a couple of dozen players by four or five companies. sometimes there is a case or two, maybe a car charger for one or two of the models. Many of these models from different manufacturers look pretty much the same. It's hard to tell the difference between them sometimes. Is this a Creative, or is it a Samsung? Maybe an RCA. They all have buttons, slide switches, dials all over the units. The front, the sides, the tops, sometimes even the bottom.

Then the customer looks over to the other side of the counter, and sees the iPod display. Just three models. Considered to be much better looking than most models by most consumers. All they have is the scrollwheel instead of the confusing buttons, slides, dials, etc.

Along with them, they see various cases of different materials, colors, and designs. They see half a dozen chargers, portable speakers, portable audio systems. They also see line powered systems. Also FM tuners, wireless attachments, software, adapters for car stereos, etc.

Practically a whole wall of goods.

So, whose player would you want to get?