iWork re-hashment

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK.



Anyway, is there no buzz about possible developments?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pbaker05

    OK.



    Anyway, is there no buzz about possible developments?




    Is this a joke? There have been a dozen threads about this.



    The only threads around here are "iPhoto suX, Picasa r00lz" threads and "OMG, iWork + Spreadsheet app coming" threads.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Yes, thank you. I started one of them.



    You know, people on these forums are awefully high and mighty.



    You know, threads do die out.



    How about a simple answer, this shorth thread will die out two.



    I see people just get ripped on these forums all the time just for asking a question. Not everyone is a f'ing know it all. Not everyone, spends all of there time with thier head up Cupertino's ass. Not everyone has beena Mac user user for 20 something years. Not everyone that uses Mac is a f'ing computer geek.

    Not everyone reads every thread ever started or died out. Not everyone trolls through threads looking for something that they can blast to make themselves look like the are some kind of real Apple insider. By the way, I have been reading these forums for a while. I don't know shit about computers,except that I am a Mac user and fan and I use them for my business. I have been using Ma since 10.1. I don't know shit about Unix, Darwin, Cocoa, etc, other than I run expensive FileMaker apps. My point is that EVERYTHING I have read on any of these furoms is purely someones opinion, which, like other things, everyone has, and most of you don't even have a remotely educated opinions.



    I didn't ask if there had every been a thread on iWork possibilities. I didn't ask for someone to come in tell me I'm stupid for asking a question. I did't ask "Do you think Apple is working on iWork?" That would be stupid. Obviously, by the title of the F'ing thead, I realize there have been a few threads about iWork. Maybe I should't have started a new one, but I did, because I was curious, since it one of my favorite app, and my 3 year old son is in my lap wanting to play on the computer too, my wife wife is needing my help with something, another daughter is about to leave for basketball practice...you get my drift here...





    I see people start stupid threads all the time. Soms smart ass know it all comes in a rips the guy. Some of us actually have lives and may not have to to read every freaking thread ever started so we don't annoy people like you.



    You hot headed, I mister f'ing Macintosh, people need to light the F*#k up.



    Oh, let me see someone start a completely new thread that has never been started before...very few if any.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    pbaker05



    great rebuttal! Brought a smile to my face. Yes some of us haggard messageboard vets should relax at times.



    I too am looking for iWork information. I'm hoping we begin to see the beginnings of a finalized suite.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pbaker05

    Yes, thank you. I started one of them.



    You know, people on these forums are awefully high and mighty.



    You know, threads do die out.



    How about a simple answer, this shorth thread will die out two.



    I see people just get ripped on these forums all the time just for asking a question. Not everyone is a f'ing know it all. Not everyone, spends all of there time with thier head up Cupertino's ass. Not everyone has beena Mac user user for 20 something years. Not everyone that uses Mac is a f'ing computer geek.

    Not everyone reads every thread ever started or died out. Not everyone trolls through threads looking for something that they can blast to make themselves look like the are some kind of real Apple insider. By the way, I have been reading these forums for a while. I don't know shit about computers,except that I am a Mac user and fan and I use them for my business. I have been using Ma since 10.1. I don't know shit about Unix, Darwin, Cocoa, etc, other than I run expensive FileMaker apps. My point is that EVERYTHING I have read on any of these furoms is purely someones opinion, which, like other things, everyone has, and most of you don't even have a remotely educated opinions.



    I didn't ask if there had every been a thread on iWork possibilities. I didn't ask for someone to come in tell me I'm stupid for asking a question. I did't ask "Do you think Apple is working on iWork?" That would be stupid. Obviously, by the title of the F'ing thead, I realize there have been a few threads about iWork. Maybe I should't have started a new one, but I did, because I was curious, since it one of my favorite app, and my 3 year old son is in my lap wanting to play on the computer too, my wife wife is needing my help with something, another daughter is about to leave for basketball practice...you get my drift here...





    I see people start stupid threads all the time. Soms smart ass know it all comes in a rips the guy. Some of us actually have lives and may not have to to read every freaking thread ever started so we don't annoy people like you.



    You hot headed, I mister f'ing Macintosh, people need to light the F*#k up.



    Oh, let me see someone start a completely new thread that has never been started before...very few if any.




    Tell me how you *really* feel.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,830member
    There's got to be a spreadsheet. There's simply got to be.

    If there isn't, there will be a riot. iPod accessories will be thrown at the black turtleneck.



    The big question is what else will be unveiled.



    Will it be an iDraw component or something completely different?



    I'd like to see a base version of Filemaker dropped to $99. and included in a higher tier version of the iWork suite.



    Right now FIlemaker is US$299., while Access is $229.



    iWork Pro with Filemaker would help round out Apple's Productivity offerings.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pbaker05

    Yes, thank you. I started one of them.



    You know, people on these forums are awefully high and mighty.



    You know, threads do die out.



    How about a simple answer, this shorth thread will die out two.



    I see people just get ripped on these forums all the time just for asking a question. Not everyone is a f'ing know it all. Not everyone, spends all of there time with thier head up Cupertino's ass. Not everyone has beena Mac user user for 20 something years. Not everyone that uses Mac is a f'ing computer geek.

    Not everyone reads every thread ever started or died out. Not everyone trolls through threads looking for something that they can blast to make themselves look like the are some kind of real Apple insider. By the way, I have been reading these forums for a while. I don't know shit about computers,except that I am a Mac user and fan and I use them for my business. I have been using Ma since 10.1. I don't know shit about Unix, Darwin, Cocoa, etc, other than I run expensive FileMaker apps. My point is that EVERYTHING I have read on any of these furoms is purely someones opinion, which, like other things, everyone has, and most of you don't even have a remotely educated opinions.



    I didn't ask if there had every been a thread on iWork possibilities. I didn't ask for someone to come in tell me I'm stupid for asking a question. I did't ask "Do you think Apple is working on iWork?" That would be stupid. Obviously, by the title of the F'ing thead, I realize there have been a few threads about iWork. Maybe I should't have started a new one, but I did, because I was curious, since it one of my favorite app, and my 3 year old son is in my lap wanting to play on the computer too, my wife wife is needing my help with something, another daughter is about to leave for basketball practice...you get my drift here...





    I see people start stupid threads all the time. Soms smart ass know it all comes in a rips the guy. Some of us actually have lives and may not have to to read every freaking thread ever started so we don't annoy people like you.



    You hot headed, I mister f'ing Macintosh, people need to light the F*#k up.



    Oh, let me see someone start a completely new thread that has never been started before...very few if any.




    1) Learn to use the search function.



    2) Stop being so combative. You think the tone of your posts might have anything to do with the responses you're getting?



    3) Anyone posting "light the F*#k up" should be thououghly ashamed they did that with a 3 year old in their lap.



    Timeout for daddy.



    4) In 24 days you will know the definitive answer when Steve sprouts it on stage. You either need iWork so bad you have to buy it today, or you can easily wait until the 9th to see when the next version will be released. So unbunch the panties you wadded up because nobody here has broken an NDA on the subject.



    If someone posts something then be happy, can the attitude when nobody craps a plausible rumor at your whim.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    There's got to be a spreadsheet. There's simply got to be.

    If there isn't, there will be a riot. iPod accessories will be thrown at the black turtleneck.



    The big question is what else will be unveiled.



    Will it be an iDraw component or something completely different?



    I'd like to see a base version of Filemaker dropped to $99. and included in a higher tier version of the iWork suite.



    Right now FIlemaker is US$299., while Access is $229.



    iWork Pro with Filemaker would help round out Apple's Productivity offerings.




    I would like to see the following:



    1) Steady improvement on Pages

    2) Steady improvement on Keynote

    3) Some sort of Apple hardware device for presentations. Maybe an official Bluetooth program for cellphones or something like this.

    4) Apple Project. This is a really needed program for apple.



    ...........



    The number one thing they need to do is to Combine Mail.app and iCal.

    Merging these would truely begin to offer a competitive product to Entourage. Email, calendar, To Do, & notes are the 4 big items within Outlook or Entourage. They are integrated and do work well together.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I admit, I may have been a bit cranky. Sorry Kim Kap Sol, that was not pointed directly at you. I think my point has been made, though.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Now, that no ones feelings are hurt...



    Why does Pages have to export Word docs, that is a pain in the ass. Why can't it be made where Word will recognize the doc and open it. Or does it anyway?



    I find that opening Word docs with much more layout that a typical letter, the formatting and such gets screwed up and vice-versa. Why is that?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I have found the exact opposite. I am looking forward to Pages 2.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    here's a serious question Apple already took KDE's Konqueror and turned it into Safari why doesn't Apple take another step and take Koffice and turn it into a full fledge Microsoft beater?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TekMate

    here's a serious question Apple already took KDE's Konqueror and turned it into Safari why doesn't Apple take another step and take Koffice and turn it into a full fledge Microsoft beater?



    As a quick look at Pages/Keynotes Acknowledgements.pdf will tell you, iWork already heavily uses open-source software (such as libiconv, libxml2, libxslt and Tidy), just like Safari heavily uses KHTML, KJS and soon KSVG.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TekMate

    here's a serious question Apple already took KDE's Konqueror and turned it into Safari why doesn't Apple take another step and take Koffice and turn it into a full fledge Microsoft beater?





    Apple NEEDS MS Office or it is virtually shut out of the business market.



    A more interesting idea is that Apple should buy Adobe and then have enough muscle to go at it against M$. Because M$ NEEDS adobe as much as Apple needs Office.



    Sorry to go off topic



    iWork 06:



    improvement to pages

    Spreadsheet app

    windows dongle



    This allows for use of pages in M$ equpped auditoriums.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TednDi

    Apple NEEDS MS Office or it is virtually shut out of the business market.





    They already are at work we have close to 500 Macs and most of my calls are why doesn't this look right I can open it on a PC and it's fine? MS has crippled Office for the Mac they have no reason to play fair and unless there is a competitor they never will.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I believe that the main reason for iWork was the problems moving AppleWorks to universal binaries. Going with a full, new suite was a better option and iWork 05 was Phase 1. It got Pages out for people to use and make comments/suggestions/complaints on. Now it's time for the suite to be filled out and I believe that Apple needs to deliver with iWork 06.



    The spreadsheet is the main issue as the templates and wizards would be fairly simple to produce. A data base is also needed and I think Apple will look to FileMaker to take care of this. FileMaker has the experience and it gives them a chance for upward migration to more expensive levels.



    With the Mactels due soon it is time for AppleWorks to be replaced and Apple needs to deliver on iWorks 06. Personally I think it will work fairly well.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,830member
    Yes, moving the AppleWorks codebase to Cocoa was never really a viable option.



    The spreadsheet situation on the Mac has always confused me. A SS is basically a grid with information and formulas used to interconnect the grid.



    I'm no programmer, but that can't be THAT hard to program.

    So why is it we have multiple options for every other category, but virtually no spreadsheet options?

    It doesn't make sense.



    With regard to Filemaker, what's going to be hard is that Filemaker isn't a Cocoa app. Actually, Filemaker Pro 8 JUST added scroll wheel support.

    And it's seen modest success in the Windows world, though Access is bundled with Office.



    So my guess is that Apple creates a new Filer app which is Cocoa and file format compatible with FM Pro, but leaves Filemaker alone.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Not to get of subject, but I use FileMaker and like it a lot.



    I work is fine. I just think it is stupid to have to expot a doc just so that Windows users can open it. I don't know squat about programming, but it is silly. Beside Word docs almost never open with original formatting and such. No one has ever sent me a Pages doc....



    I started this thread because I like iWork, but until it has better integration with the rest of humanity, is it really ever going to be a player? It would be in the Mac community (as I don't know anyone who loves Word) but it needs to send Word openable docs becuase have multiple copies of the same doc in different formats is redicicoulouss (??) sorry, ludicris.

    It would really be great if the PDF export would let you create editable PDF forms!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,830member
    Making .doc the file format for Pages would be handing Microsoft the keys to continued domination of productivity software.



    That makes no sense, for Apple or anybody else.



    The best-case scenario would be an announcement at MWSF that Pages would adopt ODF (Open Document Format) as its preferred file format.



    However, that's unlikely as well. It would likely drive Microsoft nuts, and cause them to cancel Office for Mac.



    I'm one of those who wouldn't necessarily mourn the passing of Office for Mac, as I think it would lead to a boom in new productivity choices for Mac Users.



    But I can see why Apple would prefer not to see it happen.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Save AppleWorks brand name. iEverything,Pages,iWork and future spreadsheet can be called AppleWorks X.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Once Apple goes to Intel, the new MS Office's preformance will be significantly improved. I think it would be nice to see a single version for both Windows and Macs. This wishy washy some here some there shit is annoying.
Sign In or Register to comment.