iLife 06

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Another potential addition to iPhoto is to allow it to work with RAW images.

It already does. Just not quite as nicely as Aperture.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    In fact, iPhoto and Aperture use the same RAW implementation, which is built right into the OS. Thus, added camera support will automatically affect both applications.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    This thread just reconfirms my belief that there won't be an iLife 06 (unless it's late in 2006). Nobody here came up with any compelling features to justify a new release. I see Front Row being included with a USB remote that is sold separately, and it already works fine with the current iLife.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

This thread just reconfirms my belief that there won't be an iLife 06 (unless it's late in 2006). Nobody here came up with any compelling features to justify a new release. I see Front Row being included with a USB remote that is sold separately, and it already works fine with the current iLife.

Perhaps you are correct. Most of my ideas could be addressed through an application update and not through a wholesale version upgrade.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'll donate 50 Euros to Wikipedia if Apple doesn't release iLife '06 and iWork '06 at MWSF.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Pages needs updating, it is neither a wordprocessor nor a pagelayout programme. Is does not have a mailmerge function and you cannot "print as a book" ie pages 8,1 and 2,7 using a dulpex printer and then 6,3 & 4,5 so that a simple single staple will result in a small book.

Apple has no alternative to MS Publisher, Pages is a good start, but ask any kid going through school and they all want to use Publisher for projects!
  • Reply 27 of 55
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Ohhhh they will...and those with current remotes will feel the urge to upgrade. And Apple will laugh all the way to the bank.

*gives kim kap sol a spank on the behind*

They'll bundle it only with new iMacs, and only the top model - geeze, this is Apple, you really think they would make upgrading the remote easier? either that, or they'll make you purchase a 'Frontrow' software package with a 'free remote'.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

I think there might be a slight lack of imagination going on and I think it's very likely that Apple will release iLife '06 in January.

I went to an Apple seminar recently that dealt with Podcasting and we were being shown some very good third party applications to create these casts but there was no really easy integrated solution. I think it's very likely that Apple will come up with a nice solution for publishing, involving .mac and the iLife suite.

iMovie could really use another layer of video with a selection of blend modes, I know that the idea behind iMovie is simplicity but that doesn't really complicate things very much. I work in education and that feature alone would make it worth upgrading, students quite often want to blend layers of video together and there simply isn't the time to teach them how to use FCP for the short projects they do. The Ken Burns effect could also use simple keyframe, rotate and easing in and out options. These are things that I find people don't have a hard time understanding in principle but have a hard time learning as soon as you sit them in front of FCP with it's wealth of options.

With things like iDVD it's always good just to give people a new set of templates to work with just to keep the software 'fresh', I can't off the top of my head think of a killer new feature for it though, perhaps a really simple way of creating 'stories' like you can in DVD Studio Pro? allowing you to create a DVD where you can have parts of your movie play like a screen saver when the DVD is idle, rather than just the menu screen.

iPhoto I don't use much so haven't a clue.

How about an integration application iProject? that keeps track of your resources and streamlines cross application workflow, integrated with iWork. Perhaps a part of iWork.

Anyway, way too hung over to think of anything else. :-(
  • Reply 29 of 55
    I think FRONT ROW and PHOTOBOOTH will definitely be included, along with some nifty UI upgrades in all of the other applications.

I'm curious though...iWork didn't sell too well (but I love Pages!), and it's due for a refresh of its own. Would it be out of the question for Apple to bump iLife up to $149 and include the iWork apps?

Just a thought.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I think FRONT ROW and PHOTOBOOTH will definitely be included, along with some nifty UI upgrades in all of the other applications.

I'm curious though...iWork didn't sell too well (but I love Pages!), and it's due for a refresh of its own. Would it be out of the question for Apple to bump iLife up to $149 and include the iWork apps?

Just a thought.

I don't know about including them in the same wrapper but I would like to see a bundle that would save you money if you get both.

There will most certainly be an iLife '06. Like the OS upgrade, it will be your decision if you can justify the new features or not. I think Front Row and Photobooth will be included as well as a Podcasting feature.

iPhoto constantly gets hammered for speed so we should see improvements there as well.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    BLUETOOTH

The remote for frontrow will not be in included, but I dare say that there will be an included bluetooth control mechenisum, how cool would it be to use your phone as a remote from accross the room? you could see the menus and such on the screen too. and the cost for this to Apple is near 0, just some software.

iPhoto re-write

Stacks, nested libraries, the ability to have more than one library open at once, more use of metadata. Maybe a loup, if it can be tweaked to run reasonably well on a baseline system (say a 1GHz G4 with 512 mb Ram)

iTunes

Video needs to be integrated more fully into iTunes, iTunes really needs to either split the video to a separate app or become a FULL BLOWN media asset manager, you will see one or the other at the show, expect big changes.

Give us FULL SCREEN CONTROLS IN iTunes NOW!

Backup

A utility to back up all of ones iLife assets to a FW or USB2 HDD or accross multiple CDs or DVD(s) or maybe accross a network with a few easy clicks
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Yes! I think bundling iWork and iLife for a cheaper price would be awesome.

iTunes becoming a full blown media manager? Sounds good. I trust Apple can make it fabulous, since Microsoft's Media Player is a sad example of one. Apple will always do it better!

I would totally flip if Front Row and PhotoBooth were included. Woot!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

Yes! I think bundling iWork and iLife for a cheaper price would be awesome.

It would be nice for me because im poor right now, but in the bigger picture, its not good branding to mix Business with Pleasure.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Yeah, I think video should be taken out of iTunes and moved into a new app. There's so much more features specific to playing/managing video that can't be added to itunes without just bloating the code and interface.

But I don't think it will happen.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael_Moriarty

Yeah, I think video should be taken out of iTunes and moved into a new app. There's so much more features specific to playing/managing video that can't be added to itunes without just bloating the code and interface.

But I don't think it will happen.

This would be bad -- at least now. If you have an iPod you don't want to have to screw with multiple Apps just to sync it. Although Apple could bring everything together with in one App and then have specialized Apps like iTunes -- and they could tie this in with FrontRow.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    oops -- ignore this.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    I would love it if they made syncing iPhoto libraries across computers easy.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I purchased a new iPod Video this weekend and I think iTunes needs some upgrades (iTunes 7) such as:

- Integrate movie trailers with Video Podcasts. I would love the ability to not only automatically sync movie trailers to my iPod but to automatically download/sync movie trailers from different studios (just like Podcasts).

- The playlist icons need to be updated to differentiate between music playlists and video playlists.

- The additional folder hierarchy needs to be transferred to the iPod. For example, I have four music playlists dedicated to a particular band. I want those playlists nestled under one band folder under my Playlist menu item.

- To stop switching from the iTunes Music Store to your Podcast library each time you subscribe to a Podcast (that is so annoying).

- The creation of audiobooks needs to be made easier. I ripped a audiobook into my iTunes library only to find out that I have join tracks prior to ripping the cds. I should be able to join tracks (non AAC protected) before or after ripping.

- I would like to see an optional tabbed interface to iTunes for each of your collection (i.e., music, video, podcast, audiobook, etc.)

Dave
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

- I would like to see an optional tabbed interface to iTunes for each of your collection (i.e., music, video, podcast, audiobook, etc.)

Dave

Great idea, I like it. Bring it on!
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Great idea, I like it. Bring it on!

If you look on the left side of the window, there's a 'Source' pane.