Sony lures Apple exec to lead software development

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    So Sony has a new face leading the way in rootkit and virus development and deployment? Will he add the great features of many recent Sony CDs to the entire software line?

Cant wait for Vegas 7 (use Vegas 6 at work), with a "special surprise" installed free of charge and unbenounced to customers...

And dont even get me started on Sony hardware of late...

Remember the good ole days when the sony name ment the product would be of very high quality, and not just another peice of shit rushed out the door?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I can't say that hiring one person or losing one person will necessarily change things. Sony's corporate system seems pretty sloppy in some ways, overly restrictive in others, and they really don't seem to give a damn about their customers. It took them too long to realize that nobody wanted their auto-DRM garbage, and that nobody wanted to re-encode their entire non-DRM music library into a new format, DRMed at that just to use a new portable audio player. In light of that, Apple's move to require transcoding of video for their portable video player was pretty bone-headed, it should have been made more compatible with more formats, at least there isn't any DRM required.

The Sony rootkit showed how little they cared for anything but PR and spin, their customers and their computers can just shove it. They didn't appreciate the claims that it was a rootkit, despite being the very definition of said malware.

I've never used Sony software, and frankly, I'd rather not risk it.

I do have several bits of Sony consumer electronics, but not because of the name. At the time of purchace, any given piece of hardware happened to be the best of its kind that I could afford.

I would never buy Sony computers though I do know one person that likes his VAIO laptop. He's not that demanding and hasn't updated the unit from its original OS, one complaint of Sony is that sometimes they don't bother to release drivers for operating systems released after the computer was discontinued, a computer over a year or so old might be considered abandoned by them.

One person in the right position can make a difference. If there was one person at Sony who thought that the rootkit was a bad idea, and they had the pull, or respect, to be listened to, then the whole thing would not have happened.

But you need strong leaders who aren't afraid to speak out.

Japanese corporations have not worked that way. They work by consensus. Once Sony's original founders left, the company became rudderless. I can't imagine Akaido (I'm not sure if that is spelled right). agreeing to that. It isn't known if Stringer even knew about it.

So one good person at the nexus could have stopped it.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

...I can't imagine Akaido (I'm not sure if that is spelled right). agreeing to that. It isn't known if Stringer even knew about it.

I think you mean Akio Morita, co-founder of Sony.

I very much doubt Stringer knew about it.

Sony Global is a huge corporation with many separate divisions - Electronics, Games, Music, Movies and Financial Services. Within those divisions are many more divisions.

This company is so large and it's corporate structure so complex that many of the sub-divisions that should be complimentary to each other are completely out of touch with each other.

Stringer is actively trying to get a handle on this by soliciting employee feedback on how to make Sony more streamlined and efficient.

Hopefully, Stringer is that guy who can make a difference.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

One person in the right position can make a difference. If there was one person at Sony who thought that the rootkit was a bad idea, and they had the pull, or respect, to be listened to, then the whole thing would not have happened.

But you need strong leaders who aren't afraid to speak out.

My main question is whether Schaaf is struly in a position to influence such policies. Being in the software division, he might not have any say as to what the music division does, with Sony being a large conglomerate and all.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Therein lies the heart of Sony's failure right now. One division has no control over the others or too much influence over the others. For instance Sony failed badly with modern music players because their music arm was afraid of piracy so they delayed products for a year to sort out DRM. By that time Apple had the market.

These days it is the failure of the electronics teams to work with software. No communication or integration is just a recipe for disaster.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

I think you mean Akio Morita, co-founder of Sony.

I very much doubt Stringer knew about it.

Sony Global is a huge corporation with many separate divisions - Electronics, Games, Music, Movies and Financial Services. Within those divisions are many more divisions.

This company is so large and it's corporate structure so complex that many of the sub-divisions that should be complimentary to each other are completely out of touch with each other.

Stringer is actively trying to get a handle on this by soliciting employee feedback on how to make Sony more streamlined and efficient.

Hopefully, Stringer is that guy who can make a difference.

Yeah, I can never remember how to spell these names.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

My main question is whether Schaaf is struly in a position to influence such policies. Being in the software division, he might not have any say as to what the music division does, with Sony being a large conglomerate and all.

We don't know what the chain of command is there.

I can say one thing however. when a company persues someone, they give them outsize influence. The mere fact that they went after this guy means that they will value what he says. If he speaks up at a meeting of divisions when something is mentioned that he doesn't approve of, or does, he will be listened to.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    About time we had a Mac version of rootkit.

/never buying a Sony product until I can do so without feeling dirty