Sources: Intel developing next-generation Power Mac for Apple

Comments

• Reply 181 of 347
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

This is excellent news. A motherboard designed by Intel means a motherboard without all the usual Apple quirks and little bugs that always end up in the shipping products. Intel motherboards are an example of the finest designs that billions of dollars of R&D come up with. This is a smart move on Apple's part.

For anyone who might be confused, don't confuse Intel's motherboards with your bargin basement PC computer that has a generic or cheep motherboard. Intel makes the best motherboards on earth, and they are extremely picky about design and every little feature of the board is obsessed over. It's a good fit for Apple to choose to let Intel make the motherboards

I agree, intel was most likely the best choice around for QA control. BUT I am wondering... how things would have been if they had gone with Asus. Apple has had a relationship with Asus for years so they can at least count on a tight lipped situation. I've used just about every motherboard under the sun and i've always had the best luck with Asus. However... I don't think this would apply to apple since they need certain features built in for the OS security, and other surprising features. I noticed someone mentioned firewire above... Isn't it funny that intel was the company to come up with firewire's competitor USB 2.0.... yet they will be forced to manufacture firewire 400/800 on the motherboards? =) (yes apple will still support fw).
  • Reply 182 of 347
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by aegisdesign

[B]You should look up 'patronising' in the dictionary.[/QUOTE[

It was a perfectly reasonable response to:

"Time and time again you exhibit a lack of understanding of both Apple's underlying philosophies and the Apple user ecosystem as a whole."

Quote:

For a lot of people it is! The nay-sayers seem to be those people that expect it to work exactly like Word or Powerpoint. Hey - it's never going to and I'm all for that. The MS toolset design is so creaky it's painful.

Keynote is already a better presentation tool than Powerpoint and Pages can do things that you just simply can't do in Word. That's not to say that neither have their own problems but they are generally adequate replacements for most people. All we need now is a spreadsheet program better than Appleworks' sheet and capable enough for most people that would otherwise use Excel. I'm really looking forward to iWork06 and Pages moving beyond it's 1.0 state.

I don't expect it to work exactly like Office. But despite what you say it is a simplistic program. Pages is by no means a professional word processor. Many people such as youself find it to be adequate. That's fine. But try to use it for legal work, or for editing purposes such as edit version control, etc., and you will find out why it doesn't suffice. Generally adeguate for most people is the code expression for "inadequate for serious work".

Keynote is nice but still lacks features in vewrsion two. Its effects are prettier though.

Quote:

Does it matter? AppleWorks was an adequate replacement for Office for a lot of people who didn't want to spend hundreds on Office and didn't need the whole featureset. If it's of strategic importance to Apple then it also doesn't really matter if it makes money yet.

We're back to that adequate word again. Yes, it is adequate for people who need a fairly simple WP with simple features taken from page layout. I use it myself when I don't want to deal with InDesign or Quark, but I wouldn't use it for a complex piece of work. It can't do it. It also chokes on a long Word document, slows to a crawl, and sometimes freezes. It also can't handle all of the formatting, and certain corrections. Bookmark, and chapter headings get lost.

Quote:

I run a business. I use them all the time in preference to Office which I've also got because they do things I can't do in Office. And they save my business hundreds of dollars. Try exporting to Flash in Office. ;-)

As I said, for some it will work, and that's fine. But there is a large segment for which it will mnot be fine. Those are the businesses that need the ecology that has grown up around Office. It happens to be the customers that Apple is now pursuing again. Those are the medium and large businesses that moved away from Apple over the years.

They don't import Flash into their word documents.

Quote:

I used to use Lotus' Word processor and 123 on Windows. They were both easily better than Microsoft's products IMHO. But, since file formats were proprietary, interoperability with other people was almost impossible. That's why MS wins, not because of it's software which frankly sucks.

These programs (and Corel Office as well) do work with Word, and Excel formats. They didn't years ago, but that was then. StarOffice and OpenOffice derived from it are also compatible. All of these are less expensive that Office. StarOffice is less than %75 a seat in small quantities, and As noted before, OpenOffice is free. But all of them together ahare that last 5%.

Like it or not, business wants Office, as do institutions.

Quote:

What will happen is they'll be forced to open up their file formats. EU law will make them do it if you USAians don't. Incidentally, although Apple uses XML for it's iWork file formats, a little more open-ness and support of emerging open doc formats would be nice.

They might, they might not. This isn't the first time that it was tried to force an "open" document format. But even if they do, Office still has the API's and such that they won't have to give up, and without that , nobody has anything.
  • Reply 183 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

[B]I use it for invoicing, newsletters and even did a 48 page magazine design with it. It's weak points are in technical document writing and in designing for print. There's also issues in that it outputs a newer version of PDF than most print shops can cope with.

That's all basic work. It's fine for that, unless you have to link to Excel tables, or database tables.

Quote:

I entirely disagree. It needs to be faster and they should do something about the section/page confusion where deleting a 'page' deletes more than a page if your text flows past the end of the physical page but other than that it's got some extremely good ideas in there. I think the image placement and layout tools are fantastic and prefer them to absolutely anything produced by Quark or Adobe.

It does have good ideas, but it it is too skimpy on the feature set. It doesn't know what it is, a WP or a page layout program. It take good featurers from both, but for heavy duty use, it doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

My experience is that programs like this that are not designed from the beginning to be something complex, don't succeed when features are piled on. We see that all the time. THat's whay I say it should be rewritten. Adobe did that with PS a number of years ago, and it became a much better program.

Quote:

There's over a hundred with Powerpoint, although many are repeated with simple colour changes and many are so cheesy that I can't imagine ever using them in a professional context. Which does beg the question of where you'd use them?

Keynote2 has about 20 but much higher quality. Also, in using Keynote what makes the difference I find over people giving Powerpoint presentations are the transitions and better font aliasing. I tend to stick to fairly boring gradients for the templates.

You know, it's funny about business. Most business people I know think that Windows looks just fine and dandy. They've thought that fot years.

They think the same way about the templates. They want bland and boring. They don't want flashy. Flashy is good for school and for personal use.

If you ever read books about designing for presenting information, the first thing they say is that you should keep the design to the minimum. Don't attract the attention from the information presented. Simple, bland, boring. Those are the rules for layouts. Just keep it clean and clear.

Powerpoint does that veey well, and still gives enough selections to differenciate one from the other. The various color schemes from the same template allows a presenter to seperate out the segments of the talk without going to different designs.

It's just like the rules governing type. No more than three typefaces at a time. Preferably just one in three different sizes and bolding.

Amateurs love to throw design elements all over the place.

Quote:

I think you're wrong there but certainly Pages has some rough 1.0 edges that need sorting. Keynote2 - no problems really.

I think that Pages can get much better. I hope it will, because I, and my daughter like it. I simply think that it has a long way to go before we can think that it has a chance of competing. And we still need a spreadsheet and(or) a database. Which is something that Apple can supply, if they wanted to, because they have one of the best (and most popular) ones out there. If they modified a version of filemaker and built up its spreadsheet abilities, they could have a major component. But until they do, they're nowhere.
  • Reply 184 of 347
    just wanted to mention, used intelligently, keynote2 can be very beautiful and very crisp and easy to digest at the same time i can never use powerpoint again having used keynote2 \

for my honours thesis (final year of bachelor of science (biology) degree) presentation in 1999 as a protest to bad powerpoint slides, i did my whole talk in 256-shades-grayscale countered it by wearing a lime green t-shirt. that was awesome. most other students, professors and scientists were totally like, WTF
  • Reply 185 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I agree, intel was most likely the best choice around for QA control. BUT I am wondering... how things would have been if they had gone with Asus. Apple has had a relationship with Asus for years so they can at least count on a tight lipped situation. I've used just about every motherboard under the sun and i've always had the best luck with Asus. However... I don't think this would apply to apple since they need certain features built in for the OS security, and other surprising features. I noticed someone mentioned firewire above... Isn't it funny that intel was the company to come up with firewire's competitor USB 2.0.... yet they will be forced to manufacture firewire 400/800 on the motherboards? =) (yes apple will still support fw).

there are currently intel pentium4 motherboards out there with fw400, i am quite sure.....
  • Reply 186 of 347
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Since this thread has been wandering off topic I don't mind asking:

Has anyone here used Swift Publisher? Curious (briefly) how well it does or doesn't do compared with Pages.
  • Reply 187 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

just wanted to mention, used intelligently, keynote2 can be very beautiful and very crisp and easy to digest at the same time i can never use powerpoint again having used keynote2 \

for my honours thesis (final year of bachelor of science (biology) degree) presentation in 1999 as a protest to bad powerpoint slides, i did my whole talk in 256-shades-grayscale countered it by wearing a lime green t-shirt. that was awesome. most other students, professors and scientists were totally like, WTF

Interesting. I thought you were a computer major in school.

Funny, my degrees are in bio and psych.

Though, at least I minored on physics.
  • Reply 188 of 347
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree that at this point MS pulling Office for Mac would be bad.

Office is just too ubiquitous. I know a couple people who use Mac's and don't have Word and cannot open Word documents. Trust me it sucks for them.

That scenario would pretty much completely kill Macintosh for business. I'm sure it would have a negative effect for Macintosh in the publishing industry. Even though books and newspapers are written in other applications, no publisher would function without Office. Everything is too dependent on MS Office.

At the same time I don't think it will necessarily always be this way.

For one Office is very and unncessarily expensive. I use Word and Excel frequently. Word especially is so bloated with features that are difficult to use. Even when I figure out how to use a feature. If I try to use it again months later, I pretty much have to go through the process of figuring it all out again.

Pressure on MS about its anticompetative practices MS may license .word for anyone's use. If this happens will free many people from having to buy Office.

Its highly probable Microsoft will grow so large and uneffective that smaller more inventive companies will come along with better software that business and publishing will switch to.

Agreed that right now if Apple lost MS Office that would be big trouble, but in the future we may not be in this same situation.
  • Reply 189 of 347
    Office is important to the Mac, and a successfull replacement would have to do a lot of things that are probably impossible for Apple to pull off. Having said this, leadership roles in a lot of the "Office" arena (Lotus, PageMaker) has been lost to Microsoft by other companies and there is the potential for Microsoft to loose them to other solutions/technologies.

I think that one of the biggest hurdles anyone coming up with a new solution would need legacy support for Office file formats, and possibly some connectivity to Entourage. It would also need to be on the Windows platform, or be Java or Web (technology) based. If the solution was a Mac only solution then it might work for Mac based buisnesses but if Office stopped Mac support as well then Apple would have a harder time in the enterprise market, and Macs might not look as good to "Switchers" either.

In short, Apple needs Office on the Mac. They might be able to come up with something slimmer, prettier, more usable, and better in every way but it would take too long to make any inroads into the market and to do be successfull it would need to be cross platform so that companies that have both Macs and PC's have the same office programs to standardize on and support.
  • Reply 190 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Interesting. I thought you were a computer major in school.

Funny, my degrees are in bio and psych.

Though, at least I minored on physics.

heh. 25% of my subjects were computer science. mmm...they were teaching us ADA95 when ASP just was getting off the ground and getting really really big. *shakes head* *sigh* i had to learn a little of cold fusion and javascript all by myself while still cramming my brain with all that damn BIO crap!!! arghgh

okay, carry on everyone, nevermind my rants
  • Reply 191 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. 25% of my subjects were computer science. mmm...they were teaching us ADA95 when ASP just was getting off the ground and getting really really big. *shakes head* *sigh* i had to learn a little of cold fusion and javascript all by myself while still cramming my brain with all that damn BIO crap!!! arghgh

okay, carry on everyone, nevermind my rants

At least now I understand why you moved to the jungle.

You're doing a field study of wireless networking use habits of the Malay Orangs.
  • Reply 192 of 347
    Here's an interesting interview with Ottelini:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/8015/
  • Reply 193 of 347
    This is our nite!

An article about the new Pioneer BDR-101A Blu-Ray recorder.

This is why we may need two external 5 1/4 bays. If all these drives are going to be like this.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12851
  • Reply 194 of 347
    45mins to burn 25GB though. hmmm cool nonetheless...!
  • Reply 195 of 347
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Also a point on the Intel marketing.

Intel is doing away with "intel inside".

Intel's new processors will be called Core Solo and Core Duo.

I would imagine Apple will exchange anyplace it has an embossed G4 or G5.

With and embossed Core Duo or Core Solo. One day Core Quad.
  • Reply 196 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I agree that at this point MS pulling Office for Mac would be bad.

Office is just too ubiquitous. I know a couple people who use Mac's and don't have Word and cannot open Word documents. Trust me it sucks for them.

That scenario would pretty much completely kill Macintosh for business. I'm sure it would have a negative effect for Macintosh in the publishing industry. Even though books and newspapers are written in other applications, no publisher would function without Office. Everything is too dependent on MS Office.

At the same time I don't think it will necessarily always be this way.

For one Office is very and unncessarily expensive. I use Word and Excel frequently. Word especially is so bloated with features that are difficult to use. Even when I figure out how to use a feature. If I try to use it again months later, I pretty much have to go through the process of figuring it all out again.

Pressure on MS about its anticompetative practices MS may license .word for anyone's use. If this happens will free many people from having to buy Office.

Its highly probable Microsoft will grow so large and uneffective that smaller more inventive companies will come along with better software that business and publishing will switch to.

Agreed that right now if Apple lost MS Office that would be big trouble, but in the future we may not be in this same situation.

Whats wrong with open office and pages??? I use open office exclusively *shrugs*

EDIT: Forgot to mention they have a native version of open office for those of you who didn't know. Its still in development stages but I haven't had problems... yet. Download Open Office There is always the version that runs in x11 that works well. But this is native... yay.

Anyways... to get this thread back on topic. This is great news and I can't wait for the desktops to come out. But I don't know if I will ever go to one again... this powerbook has been way too useful to go back to desktop.

well... intel may have built motherboards with firewire 400... but I doubt 800... =)
  • Reply 197 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Whats wrong with open office and pages??? I use open office exclusively *shrugs*

EDIT: Forgot to mention they have a native version of open office for those of you who didn't know. Its still in development stages but I haven't had problems... yet. Download Open Office There is always the version that runs in x11 that works well. But this is native... yay.

Anyways... to get this thread back on topic. This is great news and I can't wait for the desktops to come out. But I don't know if I will ever go to one again... this powerbook has been way too useful to go back to desktop.

well... intel may have built motherboards with firewire 400... but I doubt 800... =)

Not much is actually "wrong" with OpenOffice. It just isn't "right" either. Windows users feel that way about it too.

Intel will build whatever their customer, Apple, asks them to build.

Did you read the interview I posted? Ottelini gives some good reasons why they are happy about Apple. I doubt that Firewire 800 will get in the way.
  • Reply 198 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Not much is actually "wrong" with OpenOffice. It just isn't "right" either. Windows users feel that way about it too.

mmmmm "right"?? But paying ~ $100 for a text editor is?

Quote:

Did you read the interview I posted? Ottelini gives some good reasons why they are happy about Apple. I doubt that Firewire 800 will get in the way.

Yah I didn't mean it was going to be problem... I just found it funny is all.
  • Reply 199 of 347
    Originally posted by TenoBell

Also a point on the Intel marketing.

Intel is doing away with "intel inside".

Intel's new processors will be called Core Solo and Core Duo............

"inside" may still be used in some form from early reports:

• Reply 200 of 347
    note that the nearest font family i can find for the new "intel" word is called "Prosper" -- one of those in the family http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/agfa/prosper/ and of course modified slightly in the final cut by the logo designer

edit: actually i think it may all be based on "Ubik"

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/presencetypo/ubik/