Mactel = marketing & design matter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

... Best way to lessen confusion about what's in what? Downplay it. Stress CONTINUITY.

Ignoring consumer confusion, downplaying it as you say, is the best way to cause it. Joe Six-Pack gets his iBook and goes out to buy Unreal Tournament for Mac. It says for Mac OS X right on the box. It doesn't work. He's angry. And he's right to be angry.

It's bad enough that there are tons of Classic Mac software packages still sitting on store shelves that won't work. Fine, Apple has a "Mac OS X" logo we have been told to look for. That transition, even with the logo, went quite horribly for a lot of people. This one could be a lot worse. If Apple doesn't come out with a new, special logo, they're being run by idiots, and they deserve what they get.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Ignoring consumer confusion, downplaying it as you say, is the best way to cause it. Joe Six-Pack gets his iBook and goes out to buy Unreal Tournament for Mac. It says for Mac OS X right on the box. It doesn't work. He's angry. And he's right to be angry.

It's bad enough that there are tons of Classic Mac software packages still sitting on store shelves that won't work. Fine, Apple has a "Mac OS X" logo we have been told to look for. That transition, even with the logo, went quite horribly for a lot of people. This one could be a lot worse. If Apple doesn't come out with a new, special logo, they're being run by idiots, and they deserve what they get.

Of course, that has nothing to do with anything I said. I didn't say ignore the transition. I said downplay it.

Throwing Intel stickers on your new powerbook or renaming the iBook to "iBook Intel" isn't going to keep Joe-Sixpack from making his bonehead purchase.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    For all you that are anti intel stickers ~ I hope apple Laser etches an intel logo of some sort on the powerbook... I mean they put Harry Potter on the stinking iPod!!! And Bono's Signature... What's the big stink about ~ if it runs faster WHO CARES!

• Reply 24 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Read my post:

Apple and Intel will NEVER jeopardize the branding of their logos by changing them for the other company. Corporate branding is too important. You might see the Intel logo next to or underneath the Apple, but they will NEVER, EVER combine the two...EVER.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    my point is... who cares!

All I know is I'll buy a new powerbook when they release them.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    I care, thousands of other mac fans care, i guarantee you Steve Jobs cares.

Honestly, you haven't the slightest idea what branding is all about. When you overlap the logos, you create a sense of them being tied together. A symbiosis. That's the last thing either company wants.

Not one single company in America wants their name to live and die with the name of another. Partnerships are great, but they're only great as long as both benefit. When one drags the other down, the latter cuts bait.

We might as well throw a dollar sign and a cross on the Apple logo too. That way we know it's all about saving a buck AND that this partnership apparently signals the second coming of Christ to deliver that money to you.

And since when did Mac fans adopt the "who cares" mentality to save a buck or five? That's EXACTLY what put microsoft where it is despite being utterly inferior in most ways people actually use computers.

"So windows gets viruses? Ah who cares? This Dell is cheaper than that mac, and we can just get norton's and be set. RAINBOWS!"
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by debenm

I mean they put Harry Potter on the stinking iPod!!! And Bono's Signature... What's the big stink about ~ if it runs faster WHO CARES!

And every time they release a special iPod, it's sales get dwarfed by the non-commercialized ones. Now why do you think that is?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

And every time they release a special iPod, it's sales get dwarfed by the non-commercialized ones. Now why do you think that is?

'cause they're special editions targetting a niche. Not because it's "commercial."

But ipod branding is a bad example anyway and not particularly relevant to the sticker issue.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Completely agree that it's non-relative
  • Reply 30 of 34
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    From today's WSJ.

It mentions Apple several times. Not a whole lot of info, but just wanted to share it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Intel to Overhaul Marketing in Bid To Go Beyond PCs

By DON CLARK

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

December 30, 2005; Page A3

Intel Corp. is set to announce a major overhaul of its corporate and product branding, a move designed to symbolize the chip maker's transformation into a supplier for products beyond personal computers.

The changes include a new version of the company's blue logo -- without the lowered "e" that has long been a part of Intel's branding -- along with a new tagline, "Leap ahead," emulating such campaigns as "Think different" from Apple Computer Inc.

Intel no longer will use the well-known "Intel Inside" logo, but it is keeping the marketing program of that name that provides incentives to companies for using its products. The Santa Clara, Calif., company also is reducing its reliance on the Pentium brand for microprocessors, which have been associated mainly with higher PC performance at a time when Intel is shifting to a balance of computing speed and power consumption.

Intel will use a new brand, Core, for a low-powered chip that will succeed a chip called Pentium M, which has been used in notebook computers. That low-powered chip, code-named Yonah, comes in versions with one or two processors, identified by the terms Solo and Duo. A computer maker that receives marketing subsidies from Intel for using the latter product, for example, would carry a sticker that says "Core Duo inside" underneath the new Intel logo.

The changes are the result of a broad effort spearheaded by Senior Vice President Eric B. Kim, who was recruited just more than a year ago from Samsung Electronics Co. At Samsung, Mr. Kim helped the big electronics company shift its image from high-volume manufacturing to innovative consumer products.

At Intel, the situation is much different, Mr. Kim says. Partly because of the success of the 14-year-old Intel Inside program, the company already is ranked No. 5 among the most valuable global brands, according to the consultancy Interbrand.

But the company was firmly linked in consumers' minds with PCs, at a time when Intel wants to play a bigger role in areas such as consumer electronics and cellphones. Intel concluded that the idea it wanted to project was its role in bringing forth technology advances that help change consumers' definition for what is normal.

"Everything we do is a leap ahead," Mr. Kim said. "It becomes so ingrained in the fabric of people's lives that they can't go back anymore."

Intel's moves are expected to be laid out at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Among other things, the company plans to disclose more partners to support technology called Viiv, which is designed for a new generation of media-oriented PCs along with specially branded content certified to work well with them.

Viiv is the second example of a plan, pushed by Chief Executive Paul Otellini, to restructure the company around selling technology platforms for specific user applications. Where Intel has long sold individual microprocessors, which act as the brains of a computer, a platform includes other chips and associated software that have been tested to work well together. The first example was Intel's Centrino technology for laptop computers, introduced in 2003.

One spur for Intel to change directions has been rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc., which has been gaining market share in some classes of microprocessors and brought some new technologies to market before its larger competitor.

"It woke Intel up," said Dirk Spiers, an Amsterdam-based technology-marketing consultant who operates a Web site called Brandscribe. "They needed somebody to really grab hold of the brand."

That person was Mr. Kim, who said the changes required considerable lobbying of Intel luminaries such as Mr. Otellini, Chairman Craig Barrett and Andy Grove, the company's former chairman. "They were very, very challenging," he said. "I had to have very solid research."

Among the findings, Mr. Kim said, is that the Intel Inside logo was considered by consumers to be redundant, since any Intel product would tend to be inside a computer. But the company's new corporate logo borrows the idea of a circular swirl that was used with Intel Inside.

In the case of Pentium, that brand is still likely to be used for high-performance desktop computers for some time, Mr. Kim said. But other brands may increasingly be favored as the company emphasizes improved power consumption.

One question mark is whether Apple, of Cupertino, Calif., will use the new Intel logos. The computer maker is widely expected to introduce products based on the new Core chip, possibly as soon as the MacWorld trade show on Jan. 10. In postings on Macintosh-oriented Web sites, many commentators predicted that Apple would prefer not to modify the clean branding of its machines. An Apple spokesman declined to comment.
  • Reply 31 of 34

This may be of some interest?

and the corresponding verbage (so far);

USPTO MACTEL documents

• Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by debenm

For all you that are anti intel stickers ~ I hope apple Laser etches an intel logo of some sort on the powerbook... I mean they put Harry Potter on the stinking iPod!!! And Bono's Signature... What's the big stink about ~ if it runs faster WHO CARES!

That will NEVER happen. As a marketing professional, let me promise you that both INTEL and APPLE Corporate Communications (a.k.a. BRAND POLICE) would poo-poo all over ANY attempt to put the logos in the same visual space. Corporate identities include strict guidelines about the colors a logo can appear in front of, the borders that MUST surround it etc.

I don't think Apple will have ANY Intel indication on the machines, other than a small laser-etched logo on the BACK of the machines (underside of the laptop line). This will satisfy Intel and preserve the Mac aesthetic.

As for the name. I see i1 or i6 as the natural nomenclature, but I think Apple will surprise is with something that sounds 'cuter'; they've been very fond of the cutsie names lately with the NANO, Mini etc.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    MacIntels will still be required to bear Intel logos, but Apple get's to design the logo with final approval of Intel. Thus, we get a cool logo that is perhaps incorporated into the apple logo as some artists on this site have depicted, and perhaps a cooler phrase like "Intel Power" or "Powered by Intel".

That's my guess anyways. Apple is a wonderful trophy for Intel, worth far more than the sales figures will suggest.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Apple doesn't put IBM, ARM or Motorola on its products, so I see no reason why it will put Intel.