Intel rolls out Viiv technology, dual-core laptop processors

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's possible that the iMac will have one dual core Conroe, and the PM's will have two of them.

I doubt it as Conroe has no MP support. This is what I find interesting for future Apple products. I expect they'll do what they've done now. Some have Conroe, some end up with the equivalent Xeon.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I doubt it as Conroe has no MP support. This is what I find interesting for future Apple products. I expect they'll do what they've done now. Some have Conroe, some end up with the equivalent Xeon.

Where did you see that Conroe has no MP support? A dual core unit implies MP from the start. As Apple is expected to use Conroe in the PM, I would expect MP support is present.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    To be precise, Conroe only supports single-socket systems. Woodcrest will support multi-socket systems. The chips are otherwise identical. So I expect to see low end Power Macs with Conroe and high end Power Macs with Woodcrest. (A depopulated two-socket Woodcrest system will be much more expensive than a single-socket Conroe system, so I expect that Apple will have two Power Mac motherboards instead of one like they have today.)
  • Reply 104 of 108
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

They are actually pretty good at media handling, specifically encoding and decoding. Which happens to be the point of the VIIV branding.

fair enough. i was just trying to highlight that Viiv is mostly branding/marketing to push intel's dualcore offerings and the motherboard chipsets around that. i personally saw a pentium D play a HD video on one monitor and SD video on a tv all at the same time with a windows media center-type PC (priced at around equivalent of $1200 USD IIRC) (edit: the point of this paragraph is that okay, i think we cannot accuse intel of false advertising)

i'm all for the Yonah, i think it's awesome, just that if i could i'd advise as many people as possible to avoid the pentium4/D/EE.

i really don't know wtf AMD's marketing dept is doing though, against the pentium4/D/EE AMD x2s on a cost- and performance-per-watt basis, AMD does come out on top almost all the time. an AMD dualcore, "even" the 3800, would be a beautiful start for home theatre pc (it goes downhill once windows gets involved**)

**can't really comment though i am curious but have not really researched much on windows media center edition and capture cards and all that jazz. my gut tells me it ain't as easy as it is supposed to be... then again, this is a mac forum, so hmmm
  • Reply 105 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

To be precise, Conroe only supports single-socket systems. Woodcrest will support multi-socket systems. The chips are otherwise identical. So I expect to see low end Power Macs with Conroe and high end Power Macs with Woodcrest. (A depopulated two-socket Woodcrest system will be much more expensive than a single-socket Conroe system, so I expect that Apple will have two Power Mac motherboards instead of one like they have today.)

That seems to be the difference. But Woodcreast will also support larger caches.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    Whoops!

Didn't see that.

The "database" of Insider seems to screw up a lot. First Safari can't find the site, then when you post a second time, they magically both appear.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    whoa. deja vu. a glitch in the matrix 8)
  • Reply 108 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

whoa. deja vu. a glitch in the matrix 8)

I hope the 9th Doctor wasn't in there at the time.

He still has to make an appearance on our shores.