New Adobe app to take on Apple's Aperture

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

I too hope it spurs Apple to work on developing Aperture in to a top working programme. The Woz was right back some months ago when he said(in that interview, if one reads the whole) that Apple too much is for going on to the next thing, that they need to work on maturing software.

Read this http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/1/2/2286 article.
  • Reply 82 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Read this http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/1/2/2286 article.

Thanks for the link. Yes, I thought about Final Cut, while I was writing that.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

But I am going to give LightRoom a good look. If only it didn't take so long on a dial up to download 111MB. I am not any pro, just an amateur. But it would be helpful to have a simple worthwhile tool for organisation.

For Adobe, Lightroom is an earth-shattering new kind of app. Its user interface is light years ahead of any other Adobe app. Much easier to use than Photoshop.

But the more I play with it, the more I realize how much less sophisticated it is than Aperture. Superficially they look the same, but Lightroom just isn't very deep. No wonder they're talking about a cheaper price ($299 or $399).

P.S.--If you happen to be in the Twin Cities any time soon, I can give you a CD of the download.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

For Adobe, Lightroom is an earth-shattering new kind of app. Its user interface is light years ahead of any other Adobe app. Much easier to use than Photoshop.

But the more I play with it, the more I realize how much less sophisticated it is than Aperture. Superficially they look the same, but Lightroom just isn't very deep. No wonder they're talking about a cheaper price ($299 or $399).

Those are my thoughts exactly. Anybody who's had reasonable time to try out both products should realize that, unless more features are added and more interface cleanups are done, Lightroom is a very lightweight competitor to Aperture.

Some will argue that the result (better RAW conversion) wins over function...and that's their opinion. My opinion is that it doesn't...especially considering RAW conversion is something that can (relatively) easily and rapidly be tweaked while user interfaces are much more difficult to change.

If RAW conversion and Aperture speed is a problem, these will be fixed within a year. Sure, Aperture has higher requirements than Lightroom...but that's because it does more. Nobody will be complaining about speed when they're running Aperture in all it's CoreImage glory in a year when the computers that are shipping all have excellent graphics cards and multicore Intel processors.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Lightroom is not great. I know it's unfinished but the Loupe tool is unfinished - it's not easy to zoom in or out - it's just a zoom tool like Photoshop - no better. There really should be an easy way to enlarge and reduce. The workspace is cluttered and anti-0intutive. However, this application is light and fast. It just doesn't offer the organisational tools the Aperture does - it's not as neat and doesn't have a light table either!