Apple intros iPod Radio Remote, AV Kit, in-ear nano headphones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple today announced the iPod Radio Remote which combines the convenience of a wired remote control with new FM radio capabilities for the iPod nano and fifth generation iPod.

The iPod Radio Remote is a convenient way for music lovers to skip tracks and adjust the volume of their iPod even when it?s in a pocket or backpack, and listen to FM radio stations while displaying station and song information on their iPod screen.

?The iPod Radio Remote combines two great features in one elegant product,? said Greg Joswiak, Apple?s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. ?The iPod Radio Remote is both the best remote control and the best FM radio listening experience for iPod.?

In addition to the iPod Radio Remote, Apple also introduced the iPod AV Connection Kit and the new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones.

The iPod AV Connection Kit includes everything needed to connect the iPod to a TV for watching photo slideshows and video, or a stereo system for listening to music, and charges the iPod. Meanwhile, the new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones combine the best of the iPod nano Lanyard Headphones and the Apple In-Ear Headphones, providing convenience and style with comfort and sound quality.

Pricing and Availability

The $49 iPod Radio Remote includes a pair of Apple headphones with a shorter cable, which compliment the iPod Radio Remote. With the new device, the iPod displays station and song information for stations that support the Radio Data System (RDS).

The iPod AV Connection Kit includes an iPod Universal Dock, an Apple Remote, an iPod AV Cable, an iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable and an iPod USB Power Adapter and is compatible with all iPod models with a dock connector for $99.

The iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones will be available for $49 and include three different sized caps to ensure the headphones fit comfortably and securely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Does thisFM reciever work on the iPod photo and if not, why cant it?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    The Lanyard style in-ear earphones are very interesting.

I actually bought a nano + lanyard combo a few months ago just for use at the gym. They work extremely well together.

I can imagine the in-ear styling would be even better, because it would allow the (overloud) gym music to be eliminated more completely - good for listening to quiet spoken material such as podcasts.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Even if the FM radio functionality doesn't work with iPod photos, would the remote functions work?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    A radio remote? Awesome - another gadget for my nano!!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    a remote for the 5g ipod?! hallelujah! my prayers have been answered!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I really like the idea of a simple remote and added radio is great....

but how am i supposed to charge my ipod while using it.

I use the dock connector in my car to transmit audio and charge my ipod, and i would love a remote control, is there a "Y cable" or something i can use?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I have a Gen 2 Mini and am asking the same question about the FM Tuner here... http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=60197 since there was a software update for it also... (Maybe my original post should be combined with this one)...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thrillho

I use the dock connector in my car to transmit audio and charge my ipod, and i would love a remote control, is there a "Y cable" or something i can use?

I'm hoping we'll see something like that. Maybe it'll be wired so that one side of the Y is power, and everything else is control. I don't see how you could wire both for the same and not fry something.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

why would you want to use the FM transmitter while you are in your ca, wouldnt you just use your car's stereo's radio?

im just kidding. i dont know why apple took out the remote control access next to the headphone jack, just like removing firewire transfer. very frustrating.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Well perhaps a few more companies will follow the route of XtremeMac. That wireless transmitter actually has a dock passthrough, ie there is another dock connection at the bottom of it. That way you could have FM transmitter with remote but still doesn't solve your problem of charging. They could solve it for you though.