Apple introduces MacBook Pro

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    I wonder why Apple doesn't say anything about the battery-lifetime.

The old PB works for about 5,5 hours. Hope the new Macbook Pro works at least 6 hours.

The battery-lifetime is one of the most important factors for a notebook and for example Samsung has some notebooks that work 12 hours (like the X25 XVM 2130 with a 15" SXGA+ TFT and an optical drive).

Let's hope Apples notebooks have a long battery-lifetime, because what's a fast notebook for when it shutdown after 4 or 5 hours?

btw.: I have an iBook G3 and love it. It's some years old has the original battery and still work for about 4 hours. If the new Macbook or Macbook Pro has a battery-lifetime equal or better than the G4 Models i will buy one.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    Apple doesn't say anything about the battery life because the Intel PowerBooks (anyone who corrects me, dies) are prototypes and haven't been tested for battery life. Apple reps have said this repeatedly to everybody.

Anecdotal evidence ranges from 3 hours (Jade at Ars, and a couple of others) to 6 hours (various). Similar notebooks from other vendors have 4-6 hours claimed battery life. Sony claims somewhat more, but like Apple's original figures for the AlBooks, they have a tendency to overestimate a bit.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i just read a review that said the new books run hot.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7890-8160

dont know if this was posted or not but i'm not liking it one bit.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Apple doesn't say anything about the battery life because the Intel PowerBooks (anyone who corrects me, dies)

Thank you!

Quote:

Similar notebooks from other vendors have 4-6 hours claimed battery life. Sony claims somewhat more, but like Apple's original figures for the AlBooks, they have a tendency to overestimate a bit.

I think every company does... remember when sony was saying how long their battery life was on their players? heh that was at like mono ... 64bit.... half volume... 20 hours? Lol @ that
  • Reply 65 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

i just read a review that said the new books run hot.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7890-8160

dont know if this was posted or not but i'm not liking it one bit.

Oh boy, the heat. Yikes! I guess we'll have to wait and see on this one, since those models are prototypes and were on three solid days crunching.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Oh boy, the heat. Yikes! I guess we'll have to wait and see on this one, since those models are prototypes and were on three solid days crunching.

Like the older ones could possibly be any cooler? Its the aluminum enclosure..... it lets off heat better than most *cheap* materials

... how many other laptops do you see that are alum?
  • Reply 67 of 77
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Dell 2Ghz... mmmm.... then you will be carrying a big lappy to supply battery

this 15" for road warriors, you hv to compromise power, performance, weight, batter life. It is a great Piece of Engineering Design, now with Intel Processor no complaints abt performance, APPLE trying their best all the time (example MagSafe)

Surely we will see 2Ghz in 17" MacBook Mega(Pro)
  • Reply 68 of 77
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by appleman76

I was pretty sure the powerbook was but people on the broads are saying its the new iBook. I don't know where they got information.

The name Macbook Pro is a good name and for most of you it will grow on you. Its just like when a car comes out and you think its ugly as all heck, but then a couple months done the road you catch yourself saying "Man thats one nice looking car." Give the Macbook a few months and you will be saying the same thing.

I second that!, when many names suggested in the forum,

MacBook - seems to be the Decent and simple name out!.

MacBook Pro

MacBook or MacBook Mini

MacBook Nano
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Like the older ones could possibly be any cooler? Its the aluminum enclosure..... it lets off heat better than most *cheap* materials

... how many other laptops do you see that are alum?

thats very true.

still though i thought the yonah's run cool?
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

thats very true.

still though i thought the yonah's run cool?

they do, but not ice cool... the casing is still going to get warm...
  • Reply 71 of 77
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FritzW

NOOOO -- not another laptop with Titanium-level (non-)reception!

FWIW I heard from an Apple person in the booth that the engineer who worked on the antenna was really happy with it and that we should expect improved performance compared to the Al G4 books. Time will tell.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I wonder if the lack of FW800 has to do with the issues that showed up with the advent of Panther. You know, nasty data loss after reboot in a connected external FW drive. There were some firmware updates, but the whole thing was so obscure that I think the issue was never addressed properly. Perhaps Apple waited for the first major hardware change to get rid of it.

An Apple person in the booth told me that FW800, S-video and such were dropped simply due to space. With the thinner design and larger battery and short development time there was just no way to fit that in. He did say that they were firmly committed to FW. Their suggestion was to get a FW800 Express card. There were none at the show but Belkin is supposed to be developing one.

When you turn this laptop over you can see that the battery is frickin huge. It is centered left-right and towards the front, under the trackpad, but it reaches over halfway back. Above that is the access panel for the memory card.

I imagine that future versions of the processor which use less power will allow a smaller battery meaning more features will migrate back to the 'book.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

About the iSight: I am vvery happy to have it. Paranoid companies should worry more about the cameras that come in cel phones, PDAs, pens, buttons and lapels than the ones built into a computer screen that will only be opened inn secure areas. Can you image some clown walking around and trying to take spy photos using a laptop? Not very inconspicuous if you ask me. Powerbooks (possibly under a new name) will come out later this year and they will not have the iSight, which was first built into a consumer machine, the iMac (though many pros use it).

The thing is, security offices don't take the time to distinguish between different levels of camera quality. To make it easy for themselves and to avoid error they simply ban all cameras.

You don't need to carry a camera around to do bad stuff. You could park it and hold up documents or prototypes in front of the camera to form images.

I think this was a bad move. It cost us 60 vertical pixels. I wish they would have just made a mini clip-on camera that plugged into the top of the display. They could have include one with each laptop. That way you could remove it if you had to and you'd have a larger screen.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    hmm 60 pixels vs isight that usually costs a hundred or so dollars?

i'd go isight.

p.s i'm not following you
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I think this was a bad move. It cost us 60 vertical pixels and now you don't have a larger screen.

Argh! Look all Apple did was switch from using really rare 15.2" panels to a much more common, and hence cheaper, 15.4" panels. Regardless of the built-in camera we would still have the new screen resolution.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    Quote:

Anecdotal evidence ranges from 3 hours (Jade at Ars, and a couple of others) to 6 hours (various). Similar notebooks from other vendors have 4-6 hours claimed battery life. Sony claims somewhat more, but like Apple's original figures for the AlBooks, they have a tendency to overestimate a bit.

Another piece of anecdotal evidence: Steve Jobs' quote from a recent short Newsweek article.

Quote:

How is battery life with the MacBook?

About the same?this with a dual processor [chip]! Each processor is as fast as a G5, and the battery life will be the same as [the previous PowerBook?s] G4.

• Reply 77 of 77
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Argh! Look all Apple did was switch from using really rare 15.2" panels to a much more common, and hence cheaper, 15.4" panels. Regardless of the built-in camera we would still have the new screen resolution.

Quoted for emphasis.

Can everyone re-read Electric Monk's post and stop saying that the iSight is robbing us of pixels?

Got it? Cool, let's move on.

Good post EM.