TAM - April 1st Reference

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    This topic is right up my alley.

I have a TAM. I called apple and they had 7 left and were selling for 2k back in 1997.

When Steve resumed the CEO position, he killed the 20th stating, "computers just don't work when you just slap all the computing componets on the back of the display." I am really suprised nobody has asked him about his "20th" comment since his latest computer goes against what he said. It wasn't till recently that Apple really suprised me. The current iMac is just that.

Estetically, the 20th has design built in that no computer has come close too, but if I were Ive's, I would of build the current iMac in the 20th style.

Personally, they should continue to rev the look of the imac back to the 20th styling. With 8 years of engineering improvements and manufacturing advances, I am sure they can build it at 2k or less price point.

Who knows, maybe Steve jobs does have a couple of suprises up his sleave. Maybe is comments about the company being 30 years old was a sign that he wants to build the 20th Mac, with TV, Stereo DVR, and front row to show the world that 10 years ago, they had the vision, now they have the technology. "pull curtian from 30th anniversary Mac"....

dare to dream.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Okay April 1st is a little over two months away, and Apple announces all their cool consumer stuff. That leaves a LOT of Tuesdays in between. I mean are they really going to let a faster iMac, and Powerbook sit on the front of their webpage for 2 MONTHS? I think that we're looking at an event in between, like mid to late February... Any thoughts?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

The TAM is a very special machine, if you've ever seen one.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple would produce a Thirtieth Anniversary Macintosh. It would be an AIO, similar to the iMac, but with luxury features such as a teakwood bezel, special audio system, dark chrome ("gunmetal") accents. All the plastic would also be a dark gray color. Technologically, it would be a pretty standard machine. Price would be high.

I say 23 inch imac with polished wallnut case, Klipch speakers, kick ass specs (say 2 gig ram and 500 GB hdd) Special edition ipod, and of course the whole "experiance" that was the legend of the 20th anniv Mac (were those things really delivered in towncars with Champaign for the computers owner?)
  • Reply 24 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dillyo1001

wasn't the tenth anniversary mac a special powerbook 170 in "platinum" white plastics instead of dark grey? or am i making that up?

A powerbook in 1986?!?!?!?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

1991. 1986 was Mac Classics, 512, Apple II GS, et al.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I suggest we call this the ThAM, and the previous TAM the TwAM.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    TAM?

iphone/tablet type of thing a la knowledge navigator?

That would be some wild thing!!

http://www.billzarchy.com/clips/clip..._navigator.htm
  • Reply 28 of 30
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Eventually, all iMacs will be renamed as simply Macs (when they get their next redesign).

Stop this nonsense

next time someone considers a renaming of the iMac to Mac a serious possibility, i buy a copy of WoW and come over to make that person's virtual life a living hell.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Actually, the special "Benetton" Colour PowerBook 170 was shipped in limited quantities around then

Former CEO John Sculley gifted one to the Computer History Museum in 1994

There were also limited editions of an off white PB170 around the same time.

None were 'officially' "10th anniversary Macintosh" models...

although the Colour Classic might have been a candidate... also came in some odd colour schemes...

like this prototype

• Reply 30 of 30
    On that Benetton 170, the jpeg artifacts on the scripts almost makes it read MacBook instead of Macintosh