MacBook (iBook) Predictions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that the PowerBook has become the MacBook Pro and given Steve Jobs' comments the iBook will become the MacBook, what do you think the specs will be? Something like this?

13.3" widescreen @ 1280x768

1.67 GHz core-solo

60GB HD

512MB RAM

X1300 GPU

CD-RW

13.3" widescreen @ 1280x768

1.67 GHz core-duo

80GB HD

512MB RAM

X1300 GPU

DVD-RW

I wonder if the MacBook will get iSight like the MacBook Pro and whether or not they'll stick with a CD-RW in the entry level model. Like the MacBook Pro they will probably start with two configurations of one MacBook model while continuing to sell the current iBooks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Do we know what is in the pipe on the Duo side? Is it possible that Apple would put the current Duos in the MacBook and the Duo+ in the MacBook Pro? Or is that just too much at one time?

I don't know what the Duo chips cost Apple, but with the iMac at $1300 that seems within striking distance for a cheaper laptop than the MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Pro is too rich for me, and I don't want to wait and get a single-core MacBook when I could get a top of the line iMac now. Then when the tax refund comes in I can reevaluate whether the MacBook is worth getting and have a lusciously fast machine in the meantime.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 2 of 98
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what i like is that by announcing pb now there will be an update when i'm ready to buy this fall, AND AI members would have found out if windows can run and dual boot.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    My guess is the iBook will only get the Core Solo, which means it is about 3 months off. But why do you say "Steve Jobs' comments the iBook will become the MacBook"? I didn't notice such comments, and don't see why the iBook name wouldn't stay, the iMac name is staying. Did I miss something?
  • Reply 4 of 98
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I bet it will get a single core Yonah, probably this Spring. I don't think there will be any more G4 updates to the iBook. In fact, I'm beginning to doubt that there will be any more PowerPC upgrades to any Macs, given their accelerated timeline. Maybe a PowerMac update, but I doubt even that now.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    If widescreen, I'd hope for a 1280x800 resolution, the 16:10 aspect ratio favored by most widescreen computer displays. At 13.3", that about 113.5 ppi, about the same pixel density as the current 15" G4 PowerBook -- a bump of from older pixel densities, but still not at the squinty extremes of some laptops.

As for processors, I suspect that all MacBook non-Pro models will be single core, making dual core one of the primary Pro-line distinctions.

I'd guess that, at least at first, built-in iSight will be a Pro-only feature too.

I'm just hoping that I don't get stuck with a choice between small and non-Pro and at-least-15" and Pro. I want a 12-13" Pro model for myself.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'd guess that, at least at first, built-in iSight will be a Pro-only feature too.

Well, the iMac has an iSight, and the PowerMac does not come with one.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

My guess is the iBook will only get the Core Solo, which means it is about 3 months off. But why do you say "Steve Jobs' comments the iBook will become the MacBook"? I didn't notice such comments, and don't see why the iBook name wouldn't stay, the iMac name is staying. Did I miss something?

Steve Jobs stated at Macworld they were going to have "Mac" in all their computer product names from now on. That and the fact they are specifically calling the PowerBook the MacBook Pro and not just MacBook. The iMac stayed the same because it already has "Mac" in the name. The Mac mini should be safe as well.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    So, as someone ready to buy an IntelMac book, or any other terribly named product, this show - when can I expect the MacBook to be released?
  • Reply 9 of 98
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpw_amherst

So, as someone ready to buy an IntelMac book, or any other terribly named product, this show - when can I expect the MacBook to be released?

The day after you give up waiting for it to be released and buy something else.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Intel core solo chips are not due to be available till march, I would wait at least until then for an Intel iBook.

and i dont think they will change the name of the iBook, they dont need to, and it has powerfully (pun intended) brand recognition
  • Reply 11 of 98
    The "PowerBook" name, not to the same extent as the iBook, also had brand recognition. The fact that they tacked "Pro" onto the end of "MacBook" indicates differentiation from another line of MacBooks. If they didn't change the name of the iBook, then they would most likely introduce an entirely new line of notebooks. I'd say it's more likely the iBook turns into the "MacBook" versus having three notebook lines.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    I didn't hear the part where they said they'd be having MAc in all of their product names..... I just heard him say something like "we like to have MAC in our product name"

Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Steve Jobs stated at Macworld they were going to have "Mac" in all their computer product names from now on.

MacPod? MacSight?......

I think the iBook will prolly still be called iBook. IMHO having a MacBook and a MacBook pro would be too confusing. The iMac is still called iMac too innit ?

the iBook doesn't have the naming conflict the powerbook had, I fully understand them changing the name of that product.

on the other hand, if they want to be consistent, they'd indeed call the iBook "MacBook" from now on..... I however think this would get slightly confusing.

Being an audio professional, I always like to take fun of products that say "pro" on them, cos they usually aren't all that "pro". A certain german company comes to mind....... So I for one, aren't too keen on the whole MacBook Pro thing..... but then again, I use ProTools every day and I'm not looking for them to change that name either. It's just a kind of running gag for us... "hey look at this box! Looks awesome man!" .... "Nah, doesn't have the word *pro* on it, it prolly sux!"

• Reply 13 of 98
    I managed to grab the roadmap with names and frequencies for Yonahs this year 2006:

-------------------------------------------------------------

"E Series" Extreme Edition (50 W+)

- Core Duo E2900: ?

- Core Duo E2800: ?

- Core Duo E2700: 2.33 GHz, FSB 667 (H2-06)

"T Series" Typical (25-49 W, 31W typical)

- Core Duo T2700: 2.33 GHz, FSB 667 (H2-06)

- Core Duo T2600: 2.17 GHz, FSB 667 (Q1-06)

- Core Duo T2500: 2.00 GHz, FSB 667 (Q1-06) -> iMac

- Core Duo T2400: 1.83 GHz, FSB 667 (Q1-06) -> iMac & MacBook Pro

- Core Solo T1400: 1.83 GHz, FSB 667 (H2-06)

- Core Duo T2300: 1.67 GHz, FSB 667 (Q1-06) -> MacBook Pro

- Core Solo T1300: 1.67 GHz, FSB 667 (H2-06)

"L Series" Low-Voltage (LV) (15-24 W)

- Core Duo L2500: 1.83 GHz, FSB 667 (H2-06)

- Core Duo L2400: 1.67 GHz, FSB 667 (Q1-06)

- Core Duo L2300: 1.50 GHz, FSB 667 (Q1-06)

"U Series" Ultra-Low-Voltage (ULV) (14 W)

- Core Solo U1400: 1.23 GHz, FSB 533 (Q2-06)

- Core Duo U2300: 1.06 GHz, FSB 533 (Q2-06)

- Core Solo U1300: 1.06 GHz, FSB 533 (Q2-06)

NB: "Celeron Yonahs" will be Core Solo + FSB 533 (non-ULV).

I think a new iBook (MacBook) will come by March 2006 with these specs:

- 13.3" screen with a Core Duo L2300 @ 1.5GHz

or more realistic:

- 13.3" screen with a Core Solo T1300 @ 1.67GHz if it is available (better choice not for us but for Apple)

Why?

- MacBook must have a lower frequency than MacBook Pro (< 1.67 GHz) or equal but single-core, and a better frequency than current iBook G4 (1.33 & 1.42 GHz)

- Apple would alas not choose LV nor ULV versions (more expensive):

for 1000 units, T1300 is $209, whereas the low-power L2300 is $284 (which is more expensive than the T2300 at $241 in MacBook Pro, so a more expensive L2300 in iBook would be an economic nonsense). Apple has different and better prices, but you get the idea.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Well, the iMac has an iSight, and the PowerMac does not come with one.

Probably because most people prefer to have their screen in front on them and not the Powermac!

• Reply 15 of 98
    Quote:

- 13.3" screen with a Core Solo T1300 @ 1.67GHz if it is available (better choice not for us but for Apple)

for 1000 units, T1300 is $209, whereas the low-power L2300 is $284 (which is more expensive than the T2300 at $241 in .. [/B]

Thanks that's really interesting, so the prices of the processors iBook (Solo - probably) vs. MacBook Pro (Duo) is like $41 diference but you would have to pay double to get the Duo in your Mac. Fascinating, I'm sure it's true but I pray for the opposite!
  • Reply 16 of 98
    It is too bad Apple doesn't use Low-Voltage nor Ultra-Low-Voltage versions of Core Solo/Duo.

I wonder who in the PC world will use them, because they are less powerful and more pricey. I think some expensive very thin 12" ultraportable notebooks... but would Apple compete with this specific product range?
  • Reply 17 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

It is too bad Apple doesn't use Low-Voltage nor Ultra-Low-Voltage versions of Core Solo/Duo.

I wonder who in the PC world will use them, because they are less powerful and more pricey. I think some expensive very thin 12" ultraportable notebooks... but would Apple compete with this specific product range?

Does anyone else find it interesting that there are no estimated battery times listed on Apple's website? The Yonah is supposedly a low-power cpu, but with these different versions, and Apple using the more "powerful" versions, I wonder what the average time to recharge is for the MacBooks?
  • Reply 18 of 98
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    What's the latest news on the merom (hope i spelled that right) based chips due this year? Isn't that supposed to be a dual-core chip but 64-bit instead of 32? What're the chances it'll make it into a MB Pro before year-end?

edit: just realized I probably should've posted that in a powerbook thread, not an ibook thread
  • Reply 19 of 98
    Well according to TG daily and their sources Merom is coming out in september

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/11/me..._in_september/

info and link provided via telomar anf cosmos 1999 on a similar thread.
  • Reply 20 of 98
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    so now we just have to hope intel doesn't pull anohter "pentium will reach 10GHz!" but about power consumption so we finally get a 64-bit powerbook this year