Apple applies for "Mobile Me" trademark

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bansal98

We'd be able to load Mac OS X on our iPod and take all our songs/files/docs/settings with us. Just plug the iPod into any other computer and voila, you have your own desktop.

I was thinking that, too. I originally though of a flash drive, but iPods certainly make more sense.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Just when you think life is getting interesting (Intel iMacs), it gets interesting (Mobile Me).
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Big plans here.

music players, video players, pdas, gaming machines, (i)phones, and electronic notepads....(hmm)

and the software pertaining thereto these and more.

And this Mobile Me will include computer systems and networks, and programming too. My there are big ideas.

vingles and vongo, what will be next?
  • Reply 24 of 38
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I really hope that this whole intel thing isn't ushering in an era at Apple of faster performance, but plateauing design and ugly nomenclature.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    well... it would be awesome if they would allow my Nokia to use the nice little iSync Symbian app they (Apple) made to sync wirelessly with .Mac and therefore backup and sync all my data.. and acces my bookmarks, etc...

New Nokias are coming out with builtin browsers based on Apple's WebKit... and I'm getting the new N80 WiFi Nokia as soon as it comes out...
  • Reply 26 of 38
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

anyone notice this is almost a verbatim description of their filing for the trademark "gigawire" a few years ago? 'cause i did.

Exactly! Mobile Me=Gigawire 2.0
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Maybe the current stuff explains it, but any refreshers on Gigawire?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ricksbrain

Maybe the current stuff explains it, but any refreshers on Gigawire?

It's vaporware.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's vaporware.

I don't remember much beyond the name. could it have simply been Apple's spin on Gigabit Ethernet, the way Superdrive simply meant DVD recorder?

Companies often copyright or trademank items they don't always intend to use; "Just in case."
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

could it have simply been Apple's spin on Gigabit Ethernet,...?

That's very possible.

I'm really wondering more and more, though:

Why have all these different interfaces? Why not just develop one blazingly fast interface with a simple plug that all peripherals, drives, networking devices, etc. can use? Why have ethernet, USB, Firewire, DVI, etc. etc.?

One cable that can do anything. That's what we need.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

That's very possible.

I'm really wondering more and more, though:

Why have all these different interfaces? Why not just develop one blazingly fast interface with a simple plug that all peripherals, drives, networking devices, etc. can use? Why have ethernet, USB, Firewire, DVI, etc. etc.?

One cable that can do anything. That's what we need.

You're hitting the wall, there.

I can tell you, from the inside, that something like that is almost impossible to achieve.

Right now, Apple, and others, are trying to do that with the new display connector/interface standard that some here have been carping about.

Apple was hoping that Firewire might also do some of that (video signals, after all can move over it), but failed, for various reasons.

But one standard for everything? Whoa!

To get every body, in every indusrty together on that would be like a Force 6 hurricane!!!

Owning a standard is like having diamonds in the bank. Everyone wants to own it. It means patents, copyrights, trademarks, license fees, royalties, control over direction, etc.

The government would have to force the issue. They do this for many military and security issues, even for software standards. But this would be so all-encompassing, that I truely think it to be impossible.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Think about it though. One plug for everything. If you plug in a display, the computer reads a signature from the display and sends the appropriate signal. If you plug in a mouse, it configures the cursor to work with it. If you plug in a hard drive, it mounts the drive automatically. Plugging into a network switch would start a high-speed connection. Connecting a DVD player to the TV would consist of one cable that carries digital video and digital audio.

Everything could be strung together in series. You'd only need to own one type of cable, and maybe a few adapters. Each computer would have 2 or 3 of these universal ports and maybe a separate power connector. That's it.

Apple needs to start this, and slowly transition it into their machines. The rest of the industry will take note when people begin complaining about all these different cables that have to be plugged in versus the one universal cable.

Apple led the way with integrating USB. They should lead the way with the next generation of computing: universal interface.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Think about it though. One plug for everything. If you plug in a display, the computer reads a signature from the display and sends the appropriate signal. If you plug in a mouse, it configures the cursor to work with it. If you plug in a hard drive, it mounts the drive automatically. Plugging into a network switch would start a high-speed connection. Connecting a DVD player to the TV would consist of one cable that carries digital video and digital audio.

Everything could be strung together in series. You'd only need to own one type of cable, and maybe a few adapters. Each computer would have 2 or 3 of these universal ports and maybe a separate power connector. That's it.

Apple needs to start this, and slowly transition it into their machines. The rest of the industry will take note when people begin complaining about all these different cables that have to be plugged in versus the one universal cable.

Apple led the way with integrating USB. They should lead the way with the next generation of computing: universal interface.

The same way that Apple led with their other propriatory interfaces?
  • Reply 34 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

This is totally the 8 lb 10" screen Ipod!!!!!!

You're amazing!
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Agreed.

I think this is Apple's response at competitors attempting to come up with a standard of their own for interfaces connecting to their MP3 players in homes, automobiles, etc. led by Microsoft and Creative IIRC. I believe the concept was displayed at CES, but the progress is very slow if evident at all.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

Agreed.

I think this is Apple's response at competitors attempting to come up with a standard of their own for interfaces connecting to their MP3 players in homes, automobiles, etc. led by Microsoft and Creative IIRC. I believe the concept was displayed at CES, but the progress is very slow if evident at all.

The standards for the video interface have been pretty much agreed upon, and being supported by the HDMI Group. So, this might come to pass.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

vingles and vongo, what will be next?

Vaporware.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    It took long enough but it happened...