Dell more Expensive than Apple!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

I don't consider weight because I don't ever go anywhere. Portables are easier to pack when you move, though. And being in the Navy, a portable is very easy on the move.

And no, I didn't know too much about Acer at the time, and I still don't. Plus one of the big reasons I went with Dell, they gave me credit after my bankruptcy when others wouldn't. Not that it has swayed my opinion on the laptop or anything. It is actually quite nice.

cool.

Does anyone know what market share dell has when it comes to laptops? Is their lead in that market as big as it is in desktops? I just wonder, since Dell only sell online, how many people buy a Dell laptop and then are disappointed by how big and heavy it is when it arrives.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    I thought Dell had outlets, at some airports and stuff?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

I thought Dell had outlets, at some airports and stuff?

They do? In the U.K. they only sell online, I'd just assumed that was the case everywhere.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    I like Dells, because where I work, we are the largest buyer of Dell equipment in the UK Higher Education sector, so we get all sorts of discounts and offers. They bow down to us because we spend stupid amounts of money there already

I did get invited to a free meal provided by Dell at Christmas, but sadly I was away that day.

However, in general, most people buy Dell because they know the name and they advertise on TV. Plus, occasionally they have some absolutely fantastic offers on if you look at the right time.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Fishcake

Plus, occasionally they have some absolutely fantastic offers on if you look at the right time.

I suppose this is what I don't get. The vast majority of people just consider price above all else. Don't forget, I'm not talking PC vs Apple here, I'm talking strictly laptops only, and Dell, vs a slightly more expensive PC. I don't get why so many people are willing to put up with such shit when for slightly more money they could get something significantly better.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Well, I did try getting a Thinkpad. IBM wouldn't finance me, and I didn't see a laptop at the time with at least a 15" screen that had a resolution better than 1024x768. That's very very weak. Even today, the Thinkpads are like that for the most part.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:

Well, I did try getting a Thinkpad. IBM wouldn't finance me, and I didn't see a laptop at the time with at least a 15" screen that had a resolution better than 1024x768. That's very very weak. Even today, the Thinkpads are like that for the most part.

Hi, sorry, maybe I should have made it clearer. I did not mean any offence to you.

You've explained how portability of your laptop wasn't a main concern, so I completely understand why you went for the Dell. When I refer to them as being shitty, I'm talking about their portability, which is pretty much, for any given screen size & processor combo, the poorest in the industry as far as I can tell.

The thing is, out of all people who buy laptops, surely it must be a minority for whom portability is not a factor. After all, that's the main point of laptop relative to a desktop.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    No worries!

I do like the idea of when the Navy makes me move, I can just pack my computer in my backpack, you know? I learned my lesson the hard way. When I bought my iMac, I kept the freakin box!