Microsoft ends development of Windows Media Player for Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    when was the last time anyone here used Real Player?

I have it installed "just in case" but I can't even remember the last time it launched.. if ever.

WiMP for Mac has always sucked BIG TIME.. good riddance.

I guess the only other app is that Remote Desktop app they have.. uhm.. that still exists right?

I'm REALLY looking forward to next Office update with Spotlight support. Entourage search has ALWAYS been very very painfully ... retarded.. just like it's Windows counterpart. At least there Google Desktop can search through Outlook emails.

Anyway, they should take their luke-warm multi protocol approach to Messenger and go all the way and use Adium as a base and then add their bells and whistles like Video and Audio chat support. MS:Mac support on the Adium project would be AMAZING!
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

the only problem i have with this is when i want to play windows media files.

Do keep up!

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I'm REALLY looking forward to next Office update with Spotlight support. Entourage search has ALWAYS been very very painfully ... retarded.. just like it's Windows counterpart. At least there Google Desktop can search through Outlook emails.

Ok, how many people here use Entourage?

I prefer Mail, Address Book, and iCal.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This Flip4Mac solution is good and bad.

Good becasue Flip4Mac is great software. WMP was crap, and I'd rather use Quicktime.

Bad because this takes MS off the hook on making its media DRM cross platform. There are a lot of sites who use WM and many who use WM DRM.

Flip4Mac also doesn't seem to play all WM 10 codecs and soon we will have WM 11.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    It doesn't seem to support streaming audio - which is the only reason I ever use WMP. There are online radio stations that for some reason only stream via WMA-streaming.

The Flip4Mac plugin-in admits it cannot play them when you try to load them.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    I've used MS email apps on Mac since the beginning when Outlook Express came out for Mac...

I always look at every new Mail release to see if its time to switch to a 'free' email app, nicely integrated with the OS, etc.. but Entourage still beats Mail for a LOT of things (advanced options especially, message handling, etc).

Anyway.. I'm not likely to change any time soon.. Entourage is a really great productivity application that is very well integrated with the rest of MS Office for Mac and I use all those apps on an almost daily basis. The Project Center is great for work too..

If you're not in a business environment, maybe Mail is enough for you, but MS Office, sadly enough (although I DO like it) is the de-facto standard in the business world.. and thankfully MS have done a superb job with it for Mac
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

This Flip4Mac solution is good and bad.

Good becasue Flip4Mac is great software. WMP was crap, and I'd rather use Quicktime.

Bad because this takes MS off the hook on making its media DRM cross platform. There are a lot of sites who use WM and many who use WM DRM.

Flip4Mac also doesn't seem to play all WM 10 codecs and soon we will have WM 11.

WM10 is still WMV9 codec.

In Windows its just the player which has been upgraded to #10...
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

If you're not in a business environment, maybe Mail is enough for you, but MS Office, sadly enough (although I DO like it) is the de-facto standard in the business world.. and thankfully MS have done a superb job with it for Mac

Yah, I understand some people needing more advanced functionality.

The only microsoft product I use is Office. And I think it's better than Window's Office. Go figure. Someone told me that Window's Powerpoint doesn't support the presentation view that Powerpoint for mac has. Is that true? I use keynote, so it doesn't matter to me. But it seems odd that powerpoint for mac would have more features than powerpoint for Windows.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    there are commonly heard reports of the Windows Office dweebs often going to the MS Mac group to, uhm, "share ideas"... and some have been re-directed to the Windows group.

You can tell

Office 2003 for Windoze is actually half decent!

There could be compatibility issues with older versions of Office (like Office '97 or maybe even 2000). So far all docs I made on Mac open fine in Office 2003 at work
  • Reply 30 of 81
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Ok, how many people here use Entourage?

I prefer Mail, Address Book, and iCal.

I [sort of] have to use Entourage 2004 at work. I haven't figured out how to use Mail with Exchange since my firm upgraded its Exchange server. At any rate, my situation gives me a front row seat to Entourage in all of its suckiness. If Microsoft were honest, it would chuck Entourage and replace it with a MacOS X port of Outlook. If.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Two other players worth checking out, that play a certain number of WMV files are VLC and MPlayer OS X.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hanxu

Looks like most of the freewares from Microsoft for Mac are ended, only ones left is Office and Messenger.

Don't know if Microsoft will stop messenger and encourage ppl to use Adiumx or any other sorta alternatives. Or messenger will become paid (integrated into office) app?

Well, that Microsoft woman on stage (the one who looked incredibly uncomfortable speaking in public) said some messanger update or something was coming in March. I gotta admit, I wasn't really paying attention
  • Reply 33 of 81
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    This is bad news indeed. Sky does not work using Flip4mac yuou have to use Windows Media plugin.

I don't care if Betamax is better than VHS... The fact is that more and more web sites are using .wmv and clearly MS are getting agressive with Apple, this means they must be worrid about what Apple is going to achive. Apple will have to develop a quicktime plugin that works for all wmv codecs.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

This is bad news indeed. Sky does not work using Flip4mac yuou have to use Windows Media plugin.

Have you let the developers of Flip4Mac know? ( There is a support forum for this )

Quote:

I don't care if Betamax is better than VHS... The fact is that more and more web sites are using .wmv and clearly MS are getting agressive with Apple, this means they must be worrid about what Apple is going to achive. Apple will have to develop a quicktime plugin that works for all wmv codecs.

This is so true. Like it or not String Windows Media is on so many sites, whether we like it or not. We just have to live with the beast until the sites are given a viable option for change - remember things they have to take into account: availability of player installed standard (or almost standard) and ease of use of getting the server software running and streaming.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Like it or not String Windows Media is on so many sites

Maybe I'm in the minority here by somehow missing sites that use it. Got any "popular" examples that do?
  • Reply 36 of 81
    FWIW, the new Flip4Mac WMV version 2.0.1 *does* support at least some live streams.

The nice thing about MS ceding the market to Flip4Mac is that now we have an "officially endorsed" player that has developers that actually take bug reports and attempt to address them.

Honestly, I feel that Microsoft endorsing Flip4Mac and licensing the player for free release is actually the best service they've provided to the segment of the Mac market that needs to use Windows Media.

No longer must Mac users depend on a group that admits its primary responsibility/goal is to make sure that Windows Media works well on the Windows OS. Instead, we have a Mac software developer that takes some responsibility for fixing bugs and resolving issues.

Now, if MS would give Flip4Mac a license to use Windows Media DRM, that would solve the last big remaining problem with the format on the Mac.

Also, FWIW, I do encourage anyone who finds a site that doesn't work to post on Flip4Mac's forums about it, giving full details, and then they can attempt to support it. The only thing they can't do, and hopefully this is temporary, is support sites like MTV Overdrive that use WM DRM.

Popular sites that use Windows Media:
    • MTV Overdrive

• VH1 V-Spot

• Comedy Central

• CNN

• TBN networks (TBN, JC-TV, The Church Channel, Smile Of A Child)

• MSNBC

• Yahoo! Music / LAUNCH

• Movielink

• Vongo (Starz!)

• Reply 37 of 81
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

It really is a piece of sh*t. Have you ever tried scrubbing through a video and waited 5 seconds for it to catch up?

5 seconds??? You must have a quad processor G5...
  • Reply 38 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

WM10 is still WMV9 codec.

Ok, I read somewhere that they had new codecs for 10.

So the biggest issue then is WM DRM.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Well, that Microsoft woman on stage (the one who looked incredibly uncomfortable speaking in public) said some messanger update or something was coming in March. I gotta admit, I wasn't really paying attention

She should've worn her white suit.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Microsoft's slice of the platform is certainly being slowly eroded, for whatever reason.

Keynote is the now the standard on the platform for presentations.

Mail/Address Book/iCal/iChat is the standard for communications.

Maybe the NeoOffice effort (in the short term) should be focused solely on providing a native Word Processor and Spreadsheet.