Intel Macs add support for 802.11a WiFi standard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That's why I installed 1GHz ethernet throughout the house a few years ago. It was NOT fun!

Do you mean 1Gbit, as in the wired standard?

I am switching to that from 10/100 soon, I just need to drop in a switch that is on its way. I was fine with 100 for a long time but I tried to perform network backups and that was taking too long.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Do you mean 1Gbit, as in the wired standard?

I am switching to that from 10/100 soon, I just need to drop in a switch that is on its way. I was fine with 100 for a long time but I tried to perform network backups and that was taking too long.

Yes, sorry, sometimes I exchange the GHz and bit. I do installs and system upgrades over the network, and the difference in speed between 1GBit and 100Mbit is astounding.

Working with the 1Gbit is close to real-time over the network. When I run a program from one machine through another, it's as though I'm on that machine.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

If the problems were that bad, the new fashion for 5.8GHz cordless phones wouldn't be going anywhere either, as they use the same frequency and have the same power/reception issues.

Phones usually get around the problem by having a higher gain antenna built in.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Phones usually get around the problem by having a higher gain antenna built in.

That's not a problem as there are many aftermarket antenna's for wireless routers. I'm sure that once this comes out we will see them for this standard as well, if there aren't some available now.

And for straight line use, with nothing in between, the higher freq. units have a longer range.