Isn't it time for an iPhone already?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Aplle is the best marketing company on the planet. Apple does not need any carriers to promote their phones, they could just sell the sim free.

Who here would buy an iPod phone which could sync with iCal, Mail and Addressbook?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Did y'all see this article and images? No numberpad. You dial using the clickwheel to select numbers on the screen. That sounds frustrating as all hell.

I think that would be frustrating. But it just goes to show that iPod like phone will come and many people will buy them and not buy an iPod from Apple.

Apple needs to get into the game and make the phone before someone else does a decent job integrating things and steals sales.

We may all know the iPod is great, but to many people it's just an MP3 player and any one will do (even those in a phone)... that's lost sales... and Steve shouldn't be happy with that.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Sony-Ericsson has just posted a report on sales and profits for 2005. i'd like to highlight this:

"...The second half of 2005 was particularly strong due to the success of hit model phones in both the imaging and music product categories. A highlight of Sony Ericsson?s year was the global success of Walkman branded music phones such as the W800, W600, W550 and the W900, which have established Sony Ericsson at the forefront of expanding consumer choice in how people enjoy digital music on the move. Since the first Walkman phone was launched in volume in August, Sony Ericsson has shipped 3 million Walkman branded units."

read again: 3 Million walkman phones sold in 6 months, just after been introduced.

how many ipods sold apple the first 6 months when it introduced it?

dear Mr Jobs, we're waiting. hopefully the "Mobile Me" patent bring us an iPhone very soon.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    It seems some of the analysts also think it's just a matter of time as Apple doesn't want to let Sony start stealing their thunder.

From NewsFactor Network article:

Yankee Group analyst Michael Goodman contends that it is only a matter of time before Apple introduces its own mobile phone.

"They certainly have the ability to do this," he said. "Apple strongly believes in vertical integration and controlling the design process, but the question is, 'How do they get into the wireless side?'"

Goodman suggested Apple could focus on device manufacturing only, or get more involved as virtual-network operator.

"The company most likely will add more wireless capabilities to the iPod as well, enabling communications between devices or between the player and wireless networks," he said.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by giddyup69

nokia already has a 4gb phone/mp3 device ready for the market.

http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.h...=en&country=GB

Ready for market in..?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

The US cellular market, with its monopolism and commitment locks, is about as anti-consumer as it could possibly get. Competition has brought prices down, but it hasn't changed the amazingly arrogant attitudes of the carriers, who are nearly all owned by RBOCs.

A battery life of only a day would be unacceptable in a cellphone - some people travel.

And why do we need so many iPhone threads?

(edit) Anders is right, any "Swiss Army Knife" phone will have significant deficiencies. For example, I have a Treo. It can play MP3s, but I never use it for that.

You bring up a couple of strong points. I dropped the cellphone service I had, in no uncertain terms, as in this rural area, it amounts to nothing, without a 250$ booster. Verizon is getting in to the area here, and it looks like they will pay a little better attention. My Nokia smartphone is a No use phone right now, have not been able to give it away to a college student.

But I do hope Apple comes out with a smartphone (that Verizon will carry, they have their drawbacks, but here there are only so many choices).

I don't see why carriers would not have an Apple phone that connects to iTunes. Motorola did it, even if they dropped iTunes later, and people bought the ROKRs.

It simply would not replace my iPod, I don't see how a smart phone can achieve excellence as a music player. I surely do see that there is a market for the multi smart phone, esp. in Asia and Europe you see them being introduced before over here.

Camera abilities, hmm, well, it would be nice. I dislike the all in one idea, it seems like the way to achieve mediocrity. But, if an Apple phone does not have some ability to do pics, then it will be seen as deficient, I suppose. I would rather see something well done than a half baked pie.

I often times would like to see the iPod have pda abilities, as I am not going to carry an iPod, a phone, and a Palm. I am too active to have everything in my pockets, and one would need to walk around with a holster to have 3 or 4 items. Something is going to stay at home. So if I am going to have a phone that is smart, I would be happy to give Apple the funds for one. Then I would have two Apple hand items.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Did y'all see this article and images? No numberpad. You dial using the clickwheel to select numbers on the screen. That sounds frustrating as all hell.

According to their chinese site it's a mix of an ipod and a sony ericsson phone...

http://img.phonedaily.com/img/news/3891/04.jpg

someone is going to get sued.....

and I personally need a number pad.