iMac Core Duo reader report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Ciparis, Thank you very much for all the info you shared.

I am also a developper and i plan tu buy a new iMac CD in a very near future.

As i'm working in Eclipse, and as i am interrsted in using SWT, could you tell me if the current version for Eclipse, 3.1.1 is working well on the iMac CD ?

If not, could you tell me what should i do to let Eclipse runs as a universal binary on Intel ?

LAST Question : you said you gave patched SWT a little and that it's running fairly well, could you share this info please ?

Thank you very much in advance,

Fred.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ciparis

It does. The camera icon on the front panel includes "Built-in iSight" as an option in the drop-down box.

Cool. Thanks for that.

Quote:

UT 2003 was playable with Rosetta (at reduced settings) but on the slow end of that range. I'd say 20-30FPS, though I have forgotten the command to show the fps.

OK, I will tell you what I remember. You bring down the console using the tilde ( ~ ) key. Then you type the command:

stat fps

followed by 'enter' of course.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by fredash

As i'm working in Eclipse, and as i am interrsted in using SWT, could you tell me if the current version for Eclipse, 3.1.1 is working well on the iMac CD ?

It runs very well -- I'm pleased. It's been left running for over 24 hours now with a project (200+ files) open, and it still is snappy and responsive. To get it running required using a patch posted to bugzilla, which just replaced one of the files. The file link is here, and to use it you just delete the current swt carbon file (with a similar filename) in the plugins folder, and drop this one in instead. That's the only native item in Eclipse (SWT) -- the rest is Java, and Java on these new machines is already native x86. I'm using Java 5 (you still have to manually switch CurrentSDK from 1.4 to 1.5 to do that, though both JDKs are installed so it's just a symlink change). There is an eclipse-mac group at google, which is great for getting support and sharing tips.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Thank you very much for your info.

Do you use DREAMWEAVER on your iMac CD ?

Does it run well ?

Thanks, have a nice day.

Fred.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Thank you very much for your info.

Do you use DREAMWEAVER on your iMac CD ?

I don't use Dreamweaver very much at all, so I can't compare it to other platforms. It did launch just fine, and seems to be performing at a usable speed. Not what I'd call snappy, but I've never called Dreamweaver snappy

I was able to make a few pages, do some split window coding, make a spiffy CSS page... all seemed quite workable, although It could be better.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Some World of Warcraft screenshots running under Rosetta. Most of these shots were with settings middle to high quality (generally also with 2X antialiasing), and all were at the native iMac 20" resolution of 1680 * 1050. Running under emulation is doable and entertaining, provided you avoid lagfest areas.

high-ish frame rates in some places, but...

it can get pretty low in Lagforge

nice image quality

gates of Ironforge
  • Reply 27 of 40
    whoa. the rosetta stuff looks quite workable
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by halse

can you do a verbose boot (command + v) and tell us what you see? you should end up in safe mode (command line) and then you just might have access to the NVRAM

I did this, and it booted in text mode (with lots scrolling by), but it still ended up at the login screen very rapidly.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Cool.

OK, I will tell you what I remember. You bring down the console using the tilde ( ~ ) key. Then you type the command:

stat fps

followed by 'enter' of course.

Ran UT 2003 Demo, the football match, most options set to low, max screen size (still only 1024). Average frames were in the 20s-30, occasional peaks to 40+, firefights mostly getting mid to high teens. Not really something I'd play alot with that performance (as someone who used to admin the OGL Instagib ladders for UT back in the day :o), but fun for some fragging.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ciparis

Ran UT 2003 Demo, the football match, most options set to low, max screen size (still only 1024). Average frames were in the 20s-30, occasional peaks to 40+, firefights mostly getting mid to high teens. Not really something I'd play alot with that performance (as someone who used to admin the OGL Instagib ladders for UT back in the day :o), but fun for some fragging.

Some pretty good work here ciparis, thanks!
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Thank you Ciparis for the successfull DreamWeaver Test.

Could you just tell me which version of DreamWeaver you have tried and if you tested it with 512 Megs of RAM ?

Thanks in advance,

Fred
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Thank you Ciparis for the successfull DreamWeaver Test.

Could you just tell me which version of DreamWeaver you have tried and if you tested it with 512 Megs of RAM ?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

It was the latest patch for Dreamweaver MX 2004, and it was tested with 1GB (2*512).
  • Reply 33 of 40
    i am assuming just for clarity here that Dreamweaver MX 2004, latest patch, is still a PowerPC app running via rosetta... anyway good work mate.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i am assuming just for clarity here that Dreamweaver MX 2004, latest patch, is still a PowerPC app running via rosetta... anyway good work mate.

Yep, PPC. I don't hold any hope of ever seeing an MX 2004 app run natively, much as I wish otherwise. But that's a good reason for me to get MTASC running on my new iMac, so I can compile flash from there instead (which I have to do alot of).
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I have to say after a few hours with my 20" Intel iMac I love it. I just sold a 2.0Ghz 20" G5 and the Intel iMac feels much snappier. The biggest difference I've noted so far is in handbrake. H.264 encoding on the G5 was slow while the Intel iMac is basically encoding in real time. From a FPS perspective the Intel iMac is ~4-5X faster encoding @ an average of ~25 FPS while my G5's average was ~5-7 FPS.

I was initially worried that it may seem slower than my G5 due to less optimized software/OS but it feels pretty refined.

I can imagine the level of optimization will go up dramatically over the next few years.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by FireDancer

I have to say after a few hours with my 20" Intel iMac I love it. I just sold a 2.0Ghz 20" G5 and the Intel iMac feels much snappier. The biggest difference I've noted so far is in handbrake. H.264 encoding on the G5 was slow while the Intel iMac is basically encoding in real time. From a FPS perspective the Intel iMac is ~4-5X faster encoding @ an average of ~25 FPS while my G5's average was ~5-7 FPS.

I was initially worried that it may seem slower than my G5 due to less optimized software/OS but it feels pretty refined.

I can imagine the level of optimization will go up dramatically over the next few years.

wow. please post your settings you used for ripping that was giving about ~25 FPS in h.264.

handbrake h.264 uses x264 AFAIK which comes from a strong x86, sse2, sse3?? tradition...
  • Reply 37 of 40
    nevermind, handbrake has that report on realtime h.264 conversion from DVD on intel iMac:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

http://download.m0k.org/handbrake/im...2006011800.jpg
  • Reply 38 of 40
    OMFG thank you so much fireDancer for mentioning handbrake. i just saw they had just released a windows version. i tried it. it is FAST (30FPS on my AMD64 3000+ 1.8ghz ), EASY TO USE, and produces some nice encodes. and you can play the file in QUICKTIME. believe me, there is nothing like this in the windows world (avisynth, command line x264, and all sorts of other hacky madness......)
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Hmm. What are some good handbrake settings to use for some tests? I'm also curious about a perfect PSP setting for, you know, when I'm not *cough* testing.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    hmm.. i am not too sure about PSP settings, but some interesting settings are around 500 to 4000 kbps, x264 or x264b13 ... for archiving your DVDs ... also there are some guides on the web for using Handbrake to encode for PSP and iPod Video. it can be fun to check out differences (and how you like it) between 1-pass and 2-pass encodings. the Windows version of handbrake is very experimental, the Mac version is much better