Adobe Announces After Effects 7 - Not Universal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Maybe Adobe was waiting for this CNet article
  • Reply 22 of 33
    I don't get it - Lightroom is ready to go on Mactel. A big reason InDesign made any inroads was because Quark slept at the wheel during the OSX transition. What are they thinking?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

A big reason InDesign made any inroads was because Quark slept at the wheel during the OSX transition. What are they thinking?

Right you are there. Obviously that was a big wake-up call to Quark, because they've got a public beta of Quark for Intel-based Macs available now (or soon). If Adobe drags their hooves on the Intel transition, Quark's going to gain back ground. I hated Quark with a passion, but it's been years since I touched it and I'd be willing to see where they are at now if it means having a Universal Application for page layout & Design. I wonder if Adobe isn't feeling rather indestructible now that they ate Macromedia.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Right you are there. Obviously that was a big wake-up call to Quark, because they've got a public beta of Quark for Intel-based Macs available now (or soon). If Adobe drags their hooves on the Intel transition, Quark's going to gain back ground. I hated Quark with a passion, but it's been years since I touched it and I'd be willing to see where they are at now if it means having a Universal Application for page layout & Design. I wonder if Adobe isn't feeling rather indestructible now that they ate Macromedia.

I hope that Adobe looses TONS of share to quark. They should not have been allowed to grab Macromedia. the more invincible they feel, the more crass and cocky they are, the worse they treat their customers, the more room is availible for competition and innovation, maybe if PS cant be ported to intel quick, people may start to really support the Gimp, want it on a new platform? grab the sourcde, run it through xCode, and if you feel so inclined post the binary on the repositories or wait a week and someone else will...cant beat that.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

people don't just switch between layout apps willy nilly or for religious reasons. indesign is a better application than quark and most people who use publishing software to make money aren't using intel macs now anyway. i personally bought ppc macs specifically to wait out the transition.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think Adobe has balls the size of europe by calling them MacTels. That is a blatant, and obvious diss. WTF is a MacTel you cock smokers?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

people don't just switch between layout apps willy nilly or for religious reasons. indesign is a better application than quark and most people who use publishing software to make money aren't using intel macs now anyway. i personally bought ppc macs specifically to wait out the transition.

I don't think there is any question that their Creative Suite is coming over to Intel, but this dicking around and being coy about the next version of AE is rediculous - what about Flash?

Fair enough, the powermacs will be the last to come over at the end of the year, but it just seems like Adobe is postering.

I mean for God's sake, IBM has commited to the Intel Macs with their Lotus notes, and they got f***ing DUMPED by Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I mean for God's sake, IBM has commited to the Intel Macs with their Lotus notes, and they got f***ing DUMPED by Apple.

They didn't really get dumped they faltered on purpose. They wouldn't research, or try to produce a laptop processor, and they new Apple would be needing them. They wanted out plain, and simple. They decided early on it wasn't in their best interest to cater to Apple's needs, and they didn't need their business for the PPC platform to thrive on. But Apple sure helped them get it started off didn't they?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

They were going a differant direction with the PPC, multi-thread prosesing for dedicated embedded devices (read xBox and the still-vaporware PS3) I have a feeling that MS alone buys more of these chips in a month than apple in a year, and since there is no pressure for new stuff every 6 months, they can make a crapton of money using the same fab line for 4 years or so, because the last xBox 360 or PS3 in say 2009 will use the same proc as the first.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

I don't think there is any question that their Creative Suite is coming over to Intel, but this dicking around and being coy about the next version of AE is rediculous - what about Flash?

You rase an interesting delema: put yourself in the position of adobes lead man for mac development: do you risk your name and ship what could be buggy and somewhat unvetted software in Feb or do you risk a little marketshare to quark and get the suit right by say WWDC or Paris?

And besides, I think any announcement from adobe about the suit will come at the NAPP Photoshop expo in the next few weeks, Adobe wants the spotlight, they dont want to play second fiddle to Jobs and announce at macworld. They want headlines.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    dbl post
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think Adobe has balls the size of europe by calling them MacTels. That is a blatant, and obvious diss. WTF is a MacTel you cock smokers?

I nominate your words as 'Quote of the Year'.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    If all you are going to do is use photshop, illustrator, and indesign... why can't you wait to go to intel in 6 months to a year. It's not like you are dealing with video effects where you would dramatically notice the speed change. If all you are doing is desktop publishing, you could probably use a dual 867 G4 and get by fine.

I agree that for being such a big company that makes software for professionals, Adobe should be quicker to get the updated software out there. But if you are a professional using Adobe products just wait for the PowerMac updates... I would be surprised if Adobe doesn't have anything out that is universal by then.

And if you think Adobe is bad at updating their programs... go buy an Avid and/or ProTools product. DigiDesign spits in their customers faces and thinks of ways to get the most possible money out of them with every update, and they are such a standard in the industry that they don't care how their customers feel about it. Have you ever had to buy a new piece of hardware for $1,500, $10,000, or more just in order to update to the latest software version for adobe products???