Apple seeing strong sales of iMac Core Duo, MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Oh my god! Who would think that apple would end up selling mostly to schools, content creators, and consumers. That's groundbreaking.

And by content creators I assume they mean content creators who don't use Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, Motion, DVD Studio, Soundtrack, Pro-Tools, Avid, Premiere, After Effects, and/or Maya.

Content creators don't just use editing programs, you know.

And no content creator on the Mac has used the old discontinued Premiere for years.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Apparently not.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/01..._65nm_dualies/

Intel today announced they shipped their 1 millionth 65nm part but that includes the Pentium also.

I guess you're right. So checking exactly what Otellini said on 1/6/06 at CES: He said Intel would ship up to 1 million Core Duos within 3 weeks of introduction. See http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/06/in...eils_core_duo/

Still the only system shipping in volume is the iMac.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Oh my god! Who would think that apple would end up selling mostly to schools, content creators, and consumers. That's groundbreaking.

And by content creators I assume they mean content creators who don't use Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, Motion, DVD Studio, Soundtrack, Pro-Tools, Avid, Premiere, After Effects, and/or Maya.

Wu may have some insight into pre-orders of the MacBook Pro. which is accumulating a backlog since it doesn't ship until February. So that's not much before Apple's upgraded Pro software is available in March. BTW, a poster on another site said Amazon is showing delivery in late March for the MacBook Pro order he made today. So people may be ordering because they realize how long the wait might turn out to be.

At work where we officially use PCs only, I just ordered a Core Duo-based ThinkPad X60 and was told that it will likely take three months from today to actually get one in my office.

On the other hand, the conspirators will say that Apple leaked some disinformation to counter the TS rumor.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Remember, while Apple's market share is dwarfed by the PC market as a whole, when you're talking about specific manufactures (and that's who Intel does business with, they don't sell chips to some aggregate "PC market", but specific manufactures), Apple is much closer to being on an equal footing.

Yeah and even Dell is only selling 4 times as many computers as Apple (I believe). That isn't that much more. You would think from the marketing and hype that Dell was an order or two of magnitude bigger than Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    We aren't talking about over all PC sales. We are talking about Intel Core Duo specifically.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I am glad they are selling well. It must be just through Apple's own retail stores and the online store, because my local Apple store within a store at CompUSA does not have any of the new hardware nor software. I counted about 10 copies of iLife '05 on their shelves Tuesday when I was there.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Yeah and even Dell is only selling 4 times as many computers as Apple (I believe). That isn't that much more. You would think from the marketing and hype that Dell was an order or two of magnitude bigger than Apple.

Yeah, but isn't four times (and its more like 6 times) like an order or six of magnitude? I mean, I don't know the terminology and all, but Dell sells more in a couple of weeks then apple sells in a quarter.

And does anyone really believe that its surprising that a new computer from Apple, touted as being better and so-much-darn faster then all their old crap, are selling well, and demand for the old, slower, outdated garbage (that may or may not be supported by your apps this year, let alone next year) is dwindling? Man, that is a shock.

Especially when apple decided to charge the same price for both.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by atari

Thanks a lot for this report.

Putting it into perspective: Ts reported on low Nano sales,low IWork sales....

so I call BS on their "sources" and "reports".

How does this put the TS report in perspective? Just because new computers are selling well doesn't mean that iWork, iLife and the like are flowing off the shelves, or that the iPod nano must be selling well. I wouldn't be surprised by low nano sales, being that so many people seem to prefer the look and style of the mini.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Yeah, but isn't four times (and its more like 6 times) like an order or six of magnitude?

Orders of magnitude are logarithmic.

1 order of magnitude is 10 times the original amount.

2 orders of magnitude is 100 times the original amount.

So 4 orders of magnitude would be 10,000 times as much.

Apple sold 4.272 million Macs last year. Dell sold about 38 million as they have 18.1% of the market of 208.6 million PCs last year according to IDC. So Dell actually sell 8-9 times as many as Apple. Or almost an order of magnitude more if you want to be generous.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

How does this put the TS report in perspective? Just because new computers are selling well doesn't mean that iWork, iLife and the like are flowing off the shelves, or that the iPod nano must be selling well. I wouldn't be surprised by low nano sales, being that so many people seem to prefer the look and style of the mini.

'Seem to' doesn't actually tally with reality though. Apple sold 14 million iPods last quarter and you can bet they weren't all iPod Video's and Shuffles.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    I'm not sure where to post this on the site, so I'm doing it here.

There is a hands-on atricle about the MacBook Pro from Computerworld that I think is interesting.

I'm also not sure if It would get wider readership if a topic was opened in the forums instead, but, here it is.

http://www.computerworld.com/softwar...MAC&nid=108051

If anyone wants to open a topic in the forums, let us know.