Apple set to begin testing Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gates_of_Hell

Sorry, I think it was 0.8.4a I was using.

Anyway, it seems to be a conflict between Flip4Mac and the Xvid plugin I've got. Given that I need Xvid a lot more than WMV I think I can live without Flip4Mac.

I only ever use WMV for those stupid backyard brawl type movies that people send me links to. I can certainly live without them!

Yup, that's WMV all over!

By the way, 10.4.4 seems good for me on my 2003 PB 12", VLC and Flip4Mac both work well, sound ok, occasional crash on exit with VLC but nothing more irritating than that.

Safari meanwhile crashes near daily, so I'm typing this from Camino! Hopefully Safari stability gets back up to scratch, or I'm going to be eager for the Camino guys to get RSS into this sweet little browser!
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Well, I hope it includes a couple fixes for bugs I've found.

I've tested a bunch and found these:

1. Depending on your energy saver settings, the duo iMac hangs coming out of sleep. Eventually it comes up, but if you have a wireless internet connection, airport either loses its signal (no way to get it back except shut down/restart) or loses airport alltogether - computer thinks it doesn't even have airport. If you choose restart instead of shutdown, it will usually come up with no airport at all after this issue. I have to select shut down, then start back up to 'fix' it.

2. Random Safari crashes. Not been able to pin this one down, but have had safari quit just sitting there - not even scrolling or clicking anything.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I can only hope they present some kind of fix for iLife '06.

I updated my iPhoto and all 1,200+ of my photos disappeared. I finally located them, but iPhoto refuses to recognize them now and won't import them back into the program. This is insanely bad!

I had problems with this too. What I did was delete all the stuff in the photo directory of iphoto6, drag the entire contents from iphoto 5, and it then sees the XML stuff is not current and rebuilds the necessary files. That worked for me without issue, and kept all my albums etc. When I originally loaded it, I tried to import the photos and iphoto 6 just crashed on it.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

One thing that might be related, but I've yet to check if it's the cause is Flip4Mac. I was only too keen to dump Windows Media Player, but I wonder if that was a little premature.

I do vaguely remember seeing 2 different versions of MPlayer. I tried them both and ended up using 1.0pre8. Seems to work fine, but isn't quite as "snappy" as VLC (when VLC works).

Flip4mac AND VLC worked without problem on my G5 iMac.. neither crashed at all, and VLC was always reliable.

Flip4mac has recent updates, so you may want to try the latest version. It doesn't yet work on the duo tho, but VLC still seems ok.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Let's hope 10.4.5 fixes all the bugs introduced in 10.4.4 - I've had a lot more crashes in various apps since upgrading from 10.4.3.

One of my most used apps, VLC, is now totally unusable on my Mac mini with 10.4.4.

I had this same error appear in the past. To resolve the error with VLC, I ran the delete preferences application that comes with the program. After running the program the problems were gone with VLC and 10.4.4.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The reports that the iMac Core Duo machines don't have the same Energy Saver settings corroborate the theories regarding power management and the MacBooks. I wonder if 10.4.5 will include full Energy Saver support for both Macs: iMac and MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Kinda random and maybe iLife related, but I found a reproducible bug in Garage Band ('06). I have USB SoundSticks and if I select them as my sound Output source, the preference pane's menus break after the sound system is reinitialized. If I close the preferences window I can't open it again, even if I quit and re-launch Garage Band. Luckily the setting is correctly applied and sound comes out my SoundSticks, I just have to throw the preferences away if want to change any settings which is annoying. Hopefully 10.4.5 or a Garage Band update will fix this.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The reports that the iMac Core Duo machines don't have the same Energy Saver settings corroborate the theories regarding power management and the MacBooks. I wonder if 10.4.5 will include full Energy Saver support for both Macs: iMac and MacBook Pro?

It's built into the chips. I'm not sure if Energy Saver will affect what the chips do, just the rest of the machine.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Was looking at the updater to Main Menu on MacUpdate. Says it now has support for 10.4.5.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17111
  • Reply 30 of 30
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Sorry, I think it was 0.8.4a I was using.

Anyway, it seems to be a conflict between Flip4Mac and the Xvid plugin I've got. Given that I need Xvid a lot more than WMV I think I can live without Flip4Mac.

I only ever use WMV for those stupid backyard brawl type movies that people send me links to. I can certainly live without them!

I had a look online and it appears that the WMV plugin were casuing problems elsewhere - they have released an update, 2.0.1, which may fix the problem; for me, it seems to have fixed the crashing issue, which is a good thing(tm), couple that with the DivX plugin that was finally released for Quicktime, the reason for keeping VLC is pretty much a non-existant story IMHO.

I would like to see Real Networks do the same thing, dump the Realplayer and simply provide a plugin for Quicktime, it would make life easier for all concerned, and would require one to have multiple players installed.